Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-29-2002, 07:52 PM

Line Lockers

I'm looking to play around with line lockers a bit. My primary goal is to have very tight turning capability as required. I'll rewire the ARBs to be able to be actuated individually rather than having the silly front requires rear to be on dependency. A secondary goal is to able to use them as a short term e-brake (currently lacking on my jeep).

Looking at the Summit racing site I see two choices - Hurst Roll Control and Sam Biondo. While the 1/100000 second release on the Hurst is great for racing I don't care much about that of course. The Biondo lockers are much more affordable but I'm not sure of their capability.

Does anyone have experience with these or any other options? My requirements are:

1. That they function as a line locker (of course).

2. That they are capable of being left in the locked position for relatively long periods of time without adverse effects (the solenoid overheating or whatever).
Old 04-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Administrator

Art, talk to Garry. He used Mico's and I am guessing that were it to be done over again, he would do something different.

A lot of expense and they are just a pain to use. That may change if we can get some better calipers on the rear. His aren't bad, but don't like high line pressure. The caliper flexes, spreads open a bit in the locked position, then takes tremendous foot pressure to get them to release.

I am fairly certain the ones you are looking at will not function as a hill holding device. They are intermittent duty only. Would you really want the safety of your jeep and others to be able to be defeated by a very small leak in your braking system?

You should investigate a t-case output shaft e-brake for those duties.

For cutting brakes, I would investigate something from a sand buggy. A pair of levers that control the individual sides. As a default, have the levers positioned so that you can pull them both at the same time when the need arises.