Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-16-2002, 06:54 PM
Administrator

New line available soon

Emil from Masterpull has informed me that a new Superline will be available soon.

In the neighborhood of 25,000 lbs for 5/16".

We also discussed some of the competitors lines and this brings me to a question for Jim B. or anyone else that has firsthand knowledge. What color was the winch line that you have seen break? Be as accurate as you can.

There is a line out there that can handle the heat much better than the MP lines do. Unfortunately it has a major drawback. It does not like to be bent over or around sharp corners or tight radii. It can be damaged to failure with just the simple use of a snatch block or around a roller fairlead. Don't even attempt it's use with a hawse.

It has a similar fiber to kevlar and has the same qualities as fiberglass when bent past a certain point.

I am trying to get the Superline in 1/4" for my winch just to have some fun with people.
Old 07-16-2002, 07:51 PM

Well, any of you folks that have to have the new line; I know of a great guy that will help you lose your old MP line.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:21 AM
Banned

Thumbs down

Blaine,

I saw 3 of them go. The first was on the Hammers, I don't remember the color but it might have been blue or purple. The second was purple and it looked like it was a 5/16 line, I did not questioned the owner. This was life threatening and luckily we had a second line attached to him.

The third was in Colorado and this broke the Camel's back. I approached the owner of the vehicle with my own inquiries. The line was purple, 5/16"x80', it was only about 9 months old and used about 5 times before it broke. It had not been exposed to the elements much as it was usually in his garage. All this in a 3 week wheeling vacation period.

I can't understand why MP all of the sudden is coming out with a 25k lbs 5/16 when the one that I've seen go is supposed to have done the job from the beginning. I'll bet they are getting more lines being busted that we know about. I personally would not trust the new one either, but that is me.

Tumbleweed,
If some one ever gives me a MP for free that has never been used, I'll be sure to send it your way free of charge. I would be worried though if I would be doing you a favor or not from what I have experienced.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:36 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Blaine,

Please keep us updated on the new line as you get more information. With all the dough he's throwing into the Jeep right now, my dad figures a MP line would be a prudent purchase and the extra expense would hardly be noticeable.