Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-15-2002, 10:27 AM

RE HD Front Track bar, topping out on axle end, anyone else?

Hey guys: how are you curing any RE heavy duty front track bar top out problems on the axle end. Well any other track bar including the RE one. Upon closer inspection of ChrisL's long arm pics he seemed to cut the top of the bracket, near the axle tube. Maybe he can confurm this. But at least this is what I am seeing. My concern with this solution is that this bracket is typical Jeep thickness, I.e. 1/8. This bracket with taking all the stresses that it does, needs as much material as it can get.

My solution that I want to bounce off you guys is to put a bend in the end of the bar like a J to give it more room before it tops out on the axle bracket. ORGS seems to vary this bend for their different bar part numbers. It seems to be a viable solution. Are the RE hd bars solid like the ORGS bar ends or are they hollow throughout?

The other option that I can think of is to attach a drop bracket at the axle end that would allow for more upward travel. Like the Pro Comp drop brackets? Same thickness as the stock bracket and fine if welded in place.

Any other suggestions?

Chad
Old 12-15-2002, 05:17 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
Who's bar is that?

What jeep is it on?

mark
orgs mfg
Old 12-15-2002, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hinkley
Who's bar is that?

What jeep is it on?

mark
orgs mfg
Mark: The picture that I posted is from ChrisL's, I beleive. And it is your bar. My friend is having the issues with his RE HD bar.

Chad
Old 12-16-2002, 02:25 PM

The RE one is hollow and of a thinner tubing than the one Mark makes. Mine hit a little and I tought about trimming the top like Chris L but I now have a different setup. It is a modified Skyjacker one with is temporary till I make a better setup.
Old 12-16-2002, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MJR
The RE one is hollow and of a thinner tubing than the one Mark makes.
I know that the bars that Mark makes are hollow in the black section and the gold section is solid that bolts to the axle. Now is the RE bar hollow throughout then? Just clarifying

Chad
Old 12-16-2002, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chadjans
I know that the bars that Mark makes are hollow in the black section and the gold section is solid that bolts to the axle. Now is the RE bar hollow throughout then? Just clarifying

Chad
RE's is opposite of Mark's. The adjustment is up at the frame end on the RE. It is tubing from the axle end up to the adjustment area. The threads are not hollow. Here is a picture. The rubber bushing end should be at the axle side.
Old 12-16-2002, 04:18 PM

Do you think it would be safe to bend at the red arrow, putting more of a J bend in the bar to allow for more droop. Of course my "diagram" is a bit unproportional but shows what could be done to allow for more droop instead of cutting the top of the axle mount. What do you think?

chad
Old 12-16-2002, 04:37 PM

I just ground out some of the bracket as I could see no use for it. You could also drill another hole in the bracket closer to the drivers side. I have one there from running the stock bar. I used it for a while with the RE bar. Although I manged to rip the track bar bracket off the frame I never had a problem or have heard of a problem with the axle bracket.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chadjans
Do you think it would be safe to bend at the red arrow, putting more of a J bend in the bar to allow for more droop. Of course my "diagram" is a bit unproportional but shows what could be done to allow for more droop instead of cutting the top of the axle mount. What do you think?
chad
Certainly not to that degree. I don't know. It feels as the tubing is too thin and you might not be able to bend close to that end. Maybe what they could have done was to offset weld the tubing like their LCA's at the axle end. I think TJRON's idea would be less hassle and uncetainty.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MJR
Certainly not to that degree. I don't know. It feels as the tubing is too thin and you might not be able to bend close to that end. Maybe what they could have done was to offset weld the tubing like their LCA's at the axle end. I think TJRON's idea would be less hassle and uncetainty.
I know it wouldn't be to that extreme. I just wanted to illistrate my intentions. I am wondering why RE didn't do a bend in the bar or some sort of offset to compensate for the bracket.

Chad
Old 12-16-2002, 08:00 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
I thought it was one of mine but ChrisL needs to wash his truck. That picture still looks funny to me, as if he has changed the adjuster, or its just a bad angle.

For you guys with real high lifts that section does get in the way for getting all the droop out of the passanger side of the jeep. I make the adjuster with a bend in it to (The only track bar with a 3 bend design) solve that problem for jeeps with up to 6" of lift (with good droop). Now as you get higher in lift that area needs to be ground like a few have talked about. You can grind alot out of that bracket to make room for the track bar. If you have my bar and need a little more clearance just bend it a little more not alot just enough to clear. It will take a BIG press and don't go wild with lots of bend because then you might just mess it up. Yes my bar is solid at that point ( the gold adjuster).

Hope this helps

Mark
orgs mfg
Old 12-16-2002, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hinkley
I thought it was one of mine but ChrisL needs to wash his truck. That picture still looks funny to me, as if he has changed the adjuster, or its just a bad angle.

For you guys with real high lifts that section does get in the way for getting all the droop out of the passanger side of the jeep. I make the adjuster with a bend in it to (The only track bar with a 3 bend design) solve that problem for jeeps with up to 6" of lift (with good droop). Now as you get higher in lift that area needs to be ground like a few have talked about. You can grind alot out of that bracket to make room for the track bar. If you have my bar and need a little more clearance just bend it a little more not alot just enough to clear. It will take a BIG press and don't go wild with lots of bend because then you might just mess it up. Yes my bar is solid at that point ( the gold adjuster).

Hope this helps

Mark
orgs mfg

Makes me wonder why RE designs a bracket that allows for craploads of droop but doesn't address any binding issues that may take place at the axle end. And when something as easy as a jbend would fix the binding. Hmmmm I wonder

Chad