Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-14-2003, 09:06 PM

Brake line issues--Front D30 with 'stock' '91 caliper

OK......Since you all haven't heard from my semi-fertile mind lately, I thought I'd bring up a 'stumper' for me. Searching is getting really old {although it brings up interesting subjects, sometimes} and I'd like to find a rubber brake hose long enough to support my semi-flexy XJ.

Story: I've been running the YJ brake line. I broke it off after redoing my lower brackets.....see thread here for bracket mods---yeah, I know it's that other place, but it's a semi-techy thread with some discussion instead of the normal accusations....pretty good for that BB, IMHO.

1st page, about halfway down......is my post with pics.....don't read the whole thing, unless you want some entertainment....
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...0&pagenumber=1

more.......
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=141776

yet still, and even more discussion here......

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...5&goto=newpost

anywho (now that I've tooted my own horn about making people think about the 'long arm' thing), I need some seriously longer brake lines.

Question: {you knew there'd be one of these}........What is the air speed velocity of a swallow?....{sorry}.......What application will have a 24"-26" rubber line that has the same banjo bolt and hard line thread as my stock application? Someone's had to run into this with a long arm'd TJ or something and I have a set of TJ calipers that take the same banjo bolt as my '91 XJ. I'd like to not buy stainless steel lines and have a way for the 'dude' at Autozone or wherever to be able to look up my part.

Thanks in advance, oh gods of disc brake mods and hub conversions .......and this is why I missed the folks that showed in Moab for that one event.........Moab for me was in my garage with the welder and the hand tools.

YJ tub, YJ 'frame', MB 'look', TBI 350/700/D300, GM D60/14 bolt, etc., etc., etc. leaf sprung on a 101" wheelbase

(former station wagon on 35" MT/Rs owner)
Old 05-15-2003, 12:44 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
would that be an African or European swallow?

I have no help for you on your actual question.

Brian.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:19 AM

Stu showed me a hose manufacturing shop in Phoenix, AZ that made me a new rubber set ~31" long. It took the guy about 15 minutes to make them. I simply showed the guy both attachment ends & told him how long I wanted them made.

Possibly you have a local hose shop that could do the same thing. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2003, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Re: Brake line issues--Front D30 with 'stock' '91 caliper

Quote:
Originally posted by mbryson
OK......Since you all haven't heard from my semi-fertile mind lately, I thought I'd bring up a 'stumper' for me. Searching is getting really old {although it brings up interesting subjects, sometimes} and I'd like to find a rubber brake hose long enough to support my semi-flexy XJ.

Story: I've been running the YJ brake line. I broke it off after redoing my lower brackets.....see thread here for bracket mods---yeah, I know it's that other place, but it's a semi-techy thread with some discussion instead of the normal accusations....pretty good for that BB, IMHO.

1st page, about halfway down......is my post with pics.....don't read the whole thing, unless you want some entertainment....
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...0&pagenumber=1

more.......
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hreadid=141776

yet still, and even more discussion here......

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...5&goto=newpost

anywho (now that I've tooted my own horn about making people think about the 'long arm' thing), I need some seriously longer brake lines.

Question: {you knew there'd be one of these}........What is the air speed velocity of a swallow?....{sorry}.......What application will have a 24"-26" rubber line that has the same banjo bolt and hard line thread as my stock application? Someone's had to run into this with a long arm'd TJ or something and I have a set of TJ calipers that take the same banjo bolt as my '91 XJ. I'd like to not buy stainless steel lines and have a way for the 'dude' at Autozone or wherever to be able to look up my part.

Thanks in advance, oh gods of disc brake mods and hub conversions .......and this is why I missed the folks that showed in Moab for that one event.........Moab for me was in my garage with the welder and the hand tools.
Try these numbers. They are Chevy truck brakelines and work just fine. AUT-HB-86002 and 3 for right and left.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:48 PM

You could build custom ones like I did:

http://homepage.mac.com/rv6a/brakelines.html

Not sure if the bottom fitting will work with the YJ calipers. Might have to find the appropriate one.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:31 PM

You guys RULE!!!! I did find a local 'hydraulic' shop (they didn't want to do 'brake hoses') that would make me some lines, but spent about an hour with the parts book (wow, who'd have thought they still have those) at Autozone and ended up with a '92 K30 brake line (it's about 3" longer . I still haven't gotten some air out of the brake system, but it's coming along. I've got my wife helping me and she's learning.......

YJ tub, YJ 'frame', MB 'look', TBI 350/700/D300, GM D60/14 bolt, etc., etc., etc. leaf sprung on a 101" wheelbase

Old 05-19-2003, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
would that be an African or European swallow?

I have no help for you on your actual question.

Brian.
What?,............I don't know that!!!!

Old 05-19-2003, 03:00 PM
Administrator

The part numbers I listed are for brake lines from a K-30, pick-up and Suburban.

The aut is the prefix for an AutoSpecialty part.