Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-07-2003, 10:36 AM

Talk about old (there is a jeep in the picture).

My "other" hobby is bike riding. A while back I talked with a compadre about the benefit of riding a "fixed gear" bike; similar to track bikes: they have no brakes, and are fixed. That is to say when the wheels turn, the cranks turn. This is supposed to be of great benifit for training. A lot of people buy old bikes and simply put fixed gear wheels/hubs on the rear. So I set out to find a cheap old bike... And after being astounded that thrift stores wanted upwards of 59 - 75 dollars for some very tired old bikes: I ran across a beat up old bike in the back of the store. After a very car sales like talk with the clerk, I pulled it out and took it home super duper cheap.

Well, I get it home and clean it up a littleto find out what needs to be done... and low and behold under the grime is a bike liscense for the city of LA.. that expired in 1976. After doing a little research, the bike turns out to be a 1972 Nishiki Kokusia. Everything on it is original. I pulled out my CO2 bottle, put some air in the tires, and.. it rode perfectly. Talk about wild! Near as I can tell the bike was stuffed in a garage, and not ridden for about 27 years.

Just thought that it was cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sold by sticker.jpg (38.7 KB, 246 views)
Old 07-07-2003, 10:40 AM

Here's a picture of the bike.

It's officail: it's actually older than me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (59.4 KB, 246 views)
Old 07-07-2003, 10:46 AM

I'm into bikes too.....

My road bike.....

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:55 AM

Gotta love those wheels, beats the Mavic's I have on my Cannondale (yes, I'm an AL fan to noooo end.) This bike was my first steel frame in a while, and it's.. different!

Whose headset is that you have on there?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
I'm into bikes too.....

My road bike.....

Allen
Now that sorta takes all the fun out of using a clothespin and a playing card on the spokes, don't it?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Now that sorta takes all the fun out of using a clothespin and a playing card on the spokes, don't it?
Nahh,

You just gotta peddle like a bat out of hell to keep up the noise!

Much less wind resistance from that few spokes. Only down side that I can imagine is loss of energy transfer or side to side. But I've never heard anyone complain about them.. So, they probably just kick but.
Old 07-07-2003, 12:42 PM

William - do you mountain bike also - or road only?

I used to ride a lot - 3 times a week - but I haven't been out in a while. Went out this weekend in an effort to not die of a heart attack in two years.

Mountain only for me - I've got an Intense Tracer - cool bike - it looks nice hanging in my garage!

I dig that road bike you picked up - SUPER vintage.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2003, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
William - do you mountain bike also - or road only?

I used to ride a lot - 3 times a week - but I haven't been out in a while. Went out this weekend in an effort to not die of a heart attack in two years.

Mountain only for me - I've got an Intense Tracer - cool bike - it looks nice hanging in my garage!

I dig that road bike you picked up - SUPER vintage.

Jeff
I have a free bee mountain bike that I'm making into a single speed (free wheel). It's in need of paint and brake pads. I used to mountian bike a lot, but Jeepin seems to fill the need for out in the dust. It's a project that won't cost anything but time.

Funny, between money and time how both simply vanish.

I've been given a limit: Three bikes or something goes from the garage.

My wife's sure gonna miss her car!

It's almost a shame I'm gonna strip down the old Nishiki.. The shop that sold it is still in buisness too. But it's not collectable, and I've got a regular road bike.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
I'm into bikes too.....

My road bike.....

Allen
I saw a special on 60-minutes on something to the effect that too much riding on a seat like that can make it go limp. Something about it cutting off blood flow through a major artery. What happened to the good old banana seats?
Old 07-07-2003, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
I saw a special on 60-minutes on something to the effect that too much riding on a seat like that can make it go limp. Something about it cutting off blood flow through a major artery. What happened to the good old banana seats?
Jeff - they've solved that with these new "friendly" seats that don't let that spot get numb.....they have a hole cut outta them.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2003, 03:20 PM

Friendly seat.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 07-07-2003, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Actually, that's been proven to not be true at all. It was a internet "myth" and the data was disproved.

Though mine doesn't have a hole, it has a gell insert right about..

there..

And it does make a difference. Before you read this long post of schtufff... Just remember, Lance Armstrong (10th place as of today in the TDF) doesn't have a sperm count at all.

Bike Seat Link to Impotence Rests on Disputed Evidence
Author: Roy Furchgott; Special to The Washington Post
Washington PostAugust 28, 2001, Page: F1

For a fitness story with legs -- and real public impact -- it's hard to top the one that ran in a 1997 issue of Bicycling magazine.

The article cited an unpublished study by nationally prominent urologist Irwin Goldstein suggesting that bike seats crush the main artery to the penis, causing permanent impotence.

Soon the story was picked up by "20/20" and an impotence warning was appearing in just about every article about biking and injury. Goldstein, whose comments in the initial article were somewhat guarded -- "I cannot say that sitting on a bicycle seat causes impotence," he told the magazine, and "I can't claim that long-term compression causes impotency, but I kind of think it does in a very small percentage of cases" -- was soon dispensing irresistible quotes, such as, "There are two kinds of cyclists: those who are impotent and those who will be." Even a single ride on the wrong seat can do major and permanent damage, he says, and the only safe way to cycle is on a recumbent bike.

Anxious to quell fears raised by these remarks, manufacturers rushed to produce anatomically contoured bike seats for both sexes. (Goldstein says women cyclists also face reproductive health concerns.) These presumably safer seats are now sold widely, but consumers still worry.

"[The issue] comes up every day," reports "Faruq" Robinson, a salesperson at City Bikes in Washington, who says bike shoppers regularly ask him if a cycle they are eyeing will cause numbness and harm their sexual ability.

He tells them the truth: He doesn't know. In fact, aside from the self-assured Goldstein, no one seems to know what to believe.

Four years after Goldstein's bombshell, many experts retain grave doubts about the evidence on which it rests. Goldstein's findings have never been reviewed and assessed by his peers, published in an academic journal or tested and replicated by other researchers.

And while other studies suggesting a link between cycling and genital numbness or impotence have been published in scholarly journals, experts say these reports are flawed. Biking on a narrow, rock-hard seat -- or any ill-fitting or uncomfortable saddle -- may numb your privates, but there's no clear proof that temporary discomfort or lack of feeling is linked to impotence.

Those at odds with Goldstein include four well-regarded urologists. Contacted for this article, each said that while it is possible for male cyclists to damage the sexual apparatus in an accident -- especially by smashing the crotch against the top tube, the horizontal bar between the seat and the handlebars -- the chances of doing lingering damage by just sitting tight and pedaling are very low.

"It's safe to bicycle," says William D. Steers, chairman of the urology department at the University of Virginia School of Medicine in Charlottesville. "That's an easy one. This whole [impotence-cycling] thing is really out of proportion. In China 90 percent of the male population cycles, and they don't seem to have a problem maintaining the population."

The cycling-impotence question, Steers says, has diverted attention from behavioral factors -- like smoking, overeating and inactivity -- that are far riskier to male reproductive health. "I find it disconcerting that attention to unhealthy behaviors hasn't been raised, when a healthful activity is getting this huge scrutiny."

Goldstein says he became convinced of cycling's ill effects after noticing in the mid-1980s that many of his male patients with complaints of sexual dysfunction were cyclists. He wondered if some of these problems stemmed from sitting on a narrow saddle for prolonged periods. His theory was that the saddle pushed into the perineum -- the soft tissue between the sit bones of the pelvis. Routed between those bones are the major blood vessels that feed the penis. Compressing soft tissue between a hard saddle and a hard bone, he suggested, was courting disaster.

After months of requests for copies of his initial study and a second one (also unpublished), Goldstein failed to provide much of that research for this article, saying the information was not readily available. But he agreed to describe his findings by phone.

According to the magazine article, Goldstein assembled a test group of 100 bike-riding men who had come to him for treatment of impotence. He measured blood flow to the penis while they lay flat on their backs and he applied pressure to the perineum with one of two cycling saddles or a chair. Goldstein says he found a 66 percent average reduction in blood flow from a narrow saddle, a 25 percent reduction from a wide saddle and no reduction from a chair. From this, he concluded that repeated compression of the penile artery would cause it to flatten or become blocked, which would eventually result in impotence.

Goldstein says he presented these findings at an American Urological Association conference. (He said he couldn't recall exactly when and where this meeting occurred, and the organization was unable to verify when Goldstein made this presentation.)

Goldstein says he followed his compression research with a second study, showing that cyclists had more than three times the impotence rate of runners, which he presented at another medical convention. Arthur Burnett, associate professor of urology at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions in Baltimore, calls this study, based on questionnaires to members of a running club and a cycling club, "terribly flawed."

"I think the premise was inflated; to presume that [cycling] is a major cause of erectile dysfunction in America is not correct," says Burnett. Goldstein's hypothesis, he says, "needs to be corroborated by other studies that show how real it is."

Goldstein says he's been too busy to submit his studies for publication in a peer-reviewed journal and that it's hard to find sponsors to pay for corroborating research. His critics, he says, "are welcome to their own opinion. I see patients with this problem all of the time."

Over the last two decades, more than a dozen studies examining the relationship between cycling and impotence have been published in medical journals. Steers says all of them have problems, such as an inadequate control population of non-cyclists of the same age and physical condition, and small sample size. "To power a study you need thousands of men," says Steers, while the largest of the published reports included only 160 men.

From where he sits -- with a professorship at the Boston University School of Medicine, honors from his professional colleagues and a practice where he treats as many as six patients a week for impotence that he believes is related to cycling -- Goldstein says he needs no further convincing. "If you sat in my chair, it would be clear. The impotent come in here, and I am the advocate for them."

While advocacy may not foster dispassionate research, it sells in the free market. Former emergency physician and inventor Roger Minkow used Goldstein's data to design a saddle with a channel cut to relieve pressure on the perineum. The Specialized Body Geometry saddle has sold 1.3 million units and sparked a design revolution. Minkow says his seat -- if it is properly fitted to the rider -- is as easy on the perineum as a chair. He also says he has research -- unpublished -- to back up this claim.

While the hazardous-saddle question remains unresolved, some riders clearly like having a choice of seat configurations. Says Robinson at City Bikes, "I had one of my customers kind of barge in on a crowded day and holler, 'Hey guys, my new saddle is great! My penis doesn't fall asleep anymore.' That's the level of enthusiasm."

Copyright 2001 The Washington Post
Old 07-07-2003, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by William
Even a single ride on the wrong seat can do major and permanent damage, he says, and the only safe way to cycle is on a recumbent bike.
Only a pee pee doctor would recommend a f'ing recumbent bike....

Jeff
Old 07-07-2003, 03:40 PM

Quote:

Jeff
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 07-07-2003, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Jeff
Well if you spent all day looking at Peni' (is that how to spell Penis in the plural? Cause I don't know), you'd be pretty bent as well.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:34 PM

Since you're talking about some old bike stuff, I'm still bummed about what happened to my first GOOD bike...

If anyone is really into high quality expensive limited distribution bikes, you've probably heard of the Italian bike manufacturer Olmo. I bought a high-end Olmo bike in the sixties (god am I getting old or what!) with Reyolds 231 aluminum tubing and 100% Campagnolo elsewhere on the bike. Hubs, derailleurs, brakes, fully Campagnolo equipment everywhere. Did a lot of long distance rides on it including some centuries and half-centuries. Beautiful gold-leaf paint, polished aluminum, it was truly a BEAUTIFUL high-end feather-light bike.

So I get my orders to go to Viet Nam... I take the Campy wheels with their sew-up tires off and hang them and the frame up separately way up high in the rafters of my parents garage. They're 10' off the ground and way out of the way, almost out of sight.

I get back from Viet Nam and about a month later when I'm visiting my old bike shop, the owner offers me $1700 for the Olmo, sight unseen, to trade it in on an even more awesome bike I fell in love with. I go out to the garage at my folks house to get the Olmo. The frame is fawking gone. I run into the house and ask my mom, then my dad about it. Dad says... "You mean that piece of junk that was missing the wheels that was in the way of getting up into the rafters? Hell, I set it out on the street for the trashman six months ago".

30 years later and I'm still pi$$ed about it. The high-end Bianchi road bike I ended up with was a POS compared to the OLMO. :grrrr: I keep telling myself I'm OVER this... I'm not sure of I really am or not.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Olmo. I bought a high-end Olmo bike in the sixties (god am I getting old or what!) with Reyolds 231 aluminum tubing and
Double or triple butt tubes in the frame?
Old 07-07-2003, 06:18 PM

Quote:
That's a good question William, I remember that was important when I was really into the sport.. but I'm either too old to remember or it was too long ago... one of those anyway.

The frame joints did require a fancy chrome-looking thing that fit over each of the joints... I think it had something to do with how the tubes were put together, but maybe those pieces were just kind of decorative. It seems like they had something to do with what you're asking but...
Old 07-07-2003, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Dad says... "You mean that piece of junk that was missing the wheels that was in the way of getting up into the rafters? Hell, I set it out on the street for the trashman six months ago".
Ouch!
Old 07-07-2003, 07:31 PM

Quote:

The frame joints did require a fancy chrome-looking thing that fit over each of the joints... I think it had something to do with how the tubes were put together, but maybe those pieces were just kind of decorative.
Most of the older frames, regardless of the material were fillet brazed together instead of welding. The joint pieces were cast and machined such that regular strait tubing could be brazed into these pieces. Look at a modern Italian High end steel frame (Colnago, etc) and you'll see a similar practice.

Has anyone noticed that Jeep people and bike people overlap more than most other random groups of enthusiasts?

BTW Jerry, that really stinks about your olmo... I make sure that anything I leave at home is established as valueable or not to prevent similar occourances...
Old 07-08-2003, 06:21 AM

Quote:
That's a good question William, I remember that was important when I was really into the sport.. but I'm either too old to remember or it was too long ago... one of those anyway.

The frame joints did require a fancy chrome-looking thing that fit over each of the joints... I think it had something to do with how the tubes were put together, but maybe those pieces were just kind of decorative. It seems like they had something to do with what you're asking but...
Actually Jerry, Blaine asked that question. You might want to start takin' that Ginko again, eh?

But I believe that those "fancy chrome looking pieces" were luggs.. And they were pretty important on holding the frame together.

They were chromed too, as you can see.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:24 AM

Quote:
30 years later and I'm still pi$$ed about it.
I think that, 30 years later, uh, you could probably let go now..

I mean, you probably spilled juice on the carpet or threw a tantrum at the dinner table once or twice to make up for it in the scheme of things, eh?

There are worse things that parents do!

BTW, an olmo like what your describing, in medium shape, sells for about 700 dollars now.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I've been told that on an Italian bike, and they didn't use that term. Mainly used by Japanese bike manufacturers.

"And really, call it "Triple Butted" or call it "Quad Butted", really, it's just a different style of good old double butting, as developed by good old Reynolds Tubing."