Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Smile Went on my first long day hike ever, lots of pics

Ok, so it wasn't a lot of miles but the longest I've been on before this was 3 miles.

This hike consisted of 4.6 miles in High Point State Park. I had never been there before and didn't realize that a monument actually marked the highest point in NJ:

We parked at the top in the lot at the Monument and took a look around. You could see into NY, PA and NJ from there. Unfortunately it was a bit hazy today (weird considering the temps and the low humidity) but you could see a lot of the area:

Off we went hiking through the woods. The trail was well marked and maintained and not too difficult, though rated moderate. We think it was because of the rocky terrain in the beginning which lead to unsteady footing and the last 1/2 mile to hike which was really steep stuff:

About a mile in, we came to an intersection with a spur that took us to a Ceder Swamp:

Because of the Ceder trees, the water was blood red at times:

After doing the loop, we rejoined the trail and came to some nice clearings where we got some good pics:

Here is a pic of the three of us, me, Dan and Penny:

About 3 miles after leaving the Ceder swamp the trail comes to an end with a steep incline back to the monument. Here I got a pic of the NJ side after some of the haze lifted:

We finally left to check out a nice overlook the told me about in NY past Port Jervis. It is a hell of a road, very curved and a very pretty views of the Delaware River:

Penny and I are the co-advisers of the Outdoor Club and wanted to hike this loop in the park to see if it would be suitable for our first day hike. We loved it and think the kids would too.

So this was my day.... how was yours? If you had a fine day that consisted of taking pics, post them.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:11 PM

Cool pics! Thanks for sharing.

I was suppose to be out at JV today but got "roped in" to helping move a bunch of furniture yesterday & today.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Joe, that stinks but I'm sure you'll get out there sometime soon.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:50 PM

Nice pics Jamie. It's good to get out with mother nature in the quiet. Can you float, Kayak or canoe down the Delaware River? That would be fun!

I did honey do chores to build up credits towards a Jeep trip to Utah in the very near future.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:02 PM

Smile

I planted my first tree ever, next my driveway. It's a Chinese Pistache, when the roots get established I won't have to water it anymore and it will provide some nice shade. That is if it doesn't blow away during the night. We're having 30~40 mph winds right now.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
Nice pics Jamie. It's good to get out with mother nature in the quiet. Can you float, Kayak or canoe down the Delaware River? That would be fun!
Yep, you can put boats, canoes, kayak and even tube down the river. Though it's a bit chilly now but you sould see it in the summer.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Handlebars
I planted my first tree ever, next my driveway. It's a Chinese Pistache, when the roots get established I won't have to water it anymore and it will provide some nice shade. That is if it doesn't blow away during the night. We're having 30~40 mph winds right now.
Alex,
I have a big Chinese Pistache tree I planted about 15 years ago. It doesn't change colors here much but in better climates they're suppose to change a pretty red in the fall if I remember right. Nice trees. Very hard wood. Need heavy pruning or they grow goofy limbs helter skelter.
I'll send you a picture.
Ron
Old 10-25-2003, 09:52 PM

Looks like Dan's hair had a party last night... (a kids song from Trout Fishing in the USA (a kids band).
Old 10-25-2003, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Looks like Dan's hair had a party last night...
ROTFLMAO
Old 10-25-2003, 11:38 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Thumbs up

Beautiful pictures. I kinda miss trees with leaves that turn color this time of year. Oh well, I wore shorts today, I guess that's worth something.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:15 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Jamie,

You have no idea how much I enjoyed your pictures of the Delaware Water Gap!

Back in the early 70's I use to own a small three room cabin and a few acres right on the river in a place called Dingmans' Ferry.

Back then the Federal Government (Army Corps of Engineers) had plans to build a dam and create the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. The plan was to buy up, (by condemning), all the land on both side of the river, NJ and PA and dam up the Delaware River to create the largest man made lake and recreation area in the US. Lake Meade was to be the model used to create this area.

Needless to say, they condemned my few acres and small cabin and took it for a song.

This was in the days prior to Interstate 80 even being finished through the Gap. Route 46 was the only major road (and bridge) going across the river at that time.

Once I get the bitter taste out of my mouth for having my land "taken" I can still see all the beauty and remember all the hikes I have taken along that river between the mountains on both sides.

Thanks again for putting the pictures up and bring back such fond memories.

Frank
Old 10-26-2003, 07:14 AM
Arizona Chick

Frank,

Yep, I've heard the history of it. I believe it was the The Tock Project or something like that named after Tock's Island.

Dingman's Ferry... I've never driven to it or across the bridge but I've passed it a few times. I usually take the main road up on the PA side (209) and pass it or Old Mine Road on the NJ side and pass the bridge, or the road to the bridge. Sergey was out this way and knows the places I'm speakign of, as do you probably.

Did you know the Dingman Ferry's bridge over the Delaware is a family owned bridge. They charge a dollar to use it but it is supposed to be more "antique" and personal then the others.

Thanks for the story, I have always heard it word of mouth for people that were never there.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:53 AM

Hey, where's all the dirt and Manzanita bushes? All those colors back there are kinda scary to some of us desert guys.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Hey, where's all the dirt and Manzanita bushes? All those colors back there are kinda scary to some of us desert guys.
And these colors aren't even that great this year. Too much rain and windy days makes for a dull color change.

Still a little pretty though, ain't it.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:15 PM

Hi Jamie, now you have me looking up some fond memories. Here's a few links you or perhaps others may be interested in for this area.

A small history of Dingman's Ferry
http://www.smalltownmedia.com/October99/yester.htm

Some pictures of the Dingman's Ferry Bridge, one of the last privately owned Bridges in America.
http://www.ce.ufl.edu/~historic/stat...r/dingmans.htm

Delaware Water Gap "River Maps" showing Tocks Island and Dingman's Ferry
http://www.packshack.com/rivmap.htm

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation area site. See the part where it says 70,000 acres of land? Well that was to be 1.6 million acres but they stopped collecting it six months after they took my 17.6 acres!

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/

Anyway I thought I post this handful of links. (See what you started Jamie. You made me go look!) That is such a beautiful area and Jamie in your backyard too. Just be careful in the winter hiking up there, it can get very cold, and that river ices right up.

I must be getting older. The Dingman's Ferry I remember was a 25 cent fee to cross. Now it's $1.

Oh I don't know, maybe I am not older, I don't feel older.

Maybe they are just price gouging!

Yea, that's it! Price Gouging!

Frank
Old 10-27-2003, 05:45 AM

Nice pics Jamie....brings back many memories....

Many many moons ago....I also did a nice hike from that very same monument at High Point SP. We hiked the Appalachian Trail from High Point to the Water Gap, about 38 miles if I remember right. Started out with about 30 scouts, ended with 7.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:41 PM

OK, I'll ask,

What happened to the other 23 Scouts!

Frank
Old 10-28-2003, 07:25 AM

Let's just say they were not in good enough shape to make the rest of the trip.

That was one of the most rewarding experiences I can recall from my teenage years, and a beautiful area of the state too.

Old 10-28-2003, 10:23 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by karstman
Let's just say they were not in good enough shape to make the rest of the trip.

That was one of the most rewarding experiences I can recall from my teenage years, and a beautiful area of the state too.

Glad to hear it wasn't some sort of Donner Party repeat.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
Glad to hear it wasn't some sort of Donner Party repeat.
I had the same thought!

Frank