Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 11-10-2003, 08:22 AM

Front end options:

I'm building a new front end, custom, and have lots of options.

Should I use the YJ/TJ outers or the D44 style outers? I have decided that I do not need to go D60 for several reasons, one of which is cost. I have had very good luck with my D30HP, but know that I?m on borrowed time. With that said, I think the only real weak link in my current set-up is the R&P.

I have decided I want a high pinion in the front. I have ruled out a D44HP because I do not believe it is that much of an up-grade to my D30HP (please, lets not get into that discussion). So, it?s the Currie 8.8HP that drops into a F9? steel housing. Here is my dilemma. I can?t decide what ends I want to run.

I have the warn 5 on 5.5? stuff on my D30 that I can use, along with my knuckles, steering, and I would retain the Warn alloy (30 spline) outer shafts (bigger, stronger then D44 outer stubs, and shorter too). This way is much less expensive to get me on the road and I?ve never had a problem with breakage. However, people tell me the YJ/TJ style ball joints are weak and will not hold up to the 37?s.

If I opt for D44 outer?s, I have to find (buy) flat top knuckles, and all the other stuff that gets me to the lug nuts, including totally re-working my steering. I end up with beefier parts (how much?), but weaker axle stubs (19 spline & a wee-bit smaller in diameter then my Warn?s).

In your opinion(s), are the D44 style ball joints that much stronger/better then the D30 style?

I need to know how to have Currie build the housing, with D30 or D44 style end forgings (weld yokes).