Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-26-2001, 04:12 PM

Masterpull Line Observations and Cheap Protection

I experimented with my new line a bit today.

All observations were done on about a 5 degree level incline with jeep in neutral, I estimate about a 800 lb. or so load.

Earlier I attempted to spool the line in with 7 starting turns on the drum (I snap pulled the line as tight as possible by hand first), it immediately, before a full load was even applied, pulled the crimp-on end off the rope and released. Glad I was sitting with my foot on the brake.

I procured another end lug, and epoxied it inside and re-crimped.

I did a knot search and came up with a "Constrictor Hitch" as the most suitable for this application, strong and very flat.
http://www.realknots.com/knots/hitches.htm
(Bottom of page)

I tied the knot (took a little headscratching), and secured the end, then jerked it in really tight. Took a rubber hammer handle and tapped it flat while jerking on it.

Result- It now holds the full load with only 2 turns past the knot. DO NOT WINCH WITH ONLY 2 TURNS, this was only a comparison test with a light load. BUT, I feel much more comfortable starting with about 2/3 of the lower layer now, this could have been catastrophic before.

The next layers laid out and respooled perfectly over the knot, it is very flat.

Part 2: Cheap protection.

I'm sure MP sells a protection/abrasion cover, but I bought a 4 ft. length of hydraulic hose abrasion guard tubing at a local supplier ($8), this is some really HD tough/slick nylon tubing. Slide it wherever you need it for protection. I have used this stuff on my climbing ropes for years.

2000 TJ 4.0L, A/T, all factory options.
Jeep Rater Score 360
http://www.hellbender.rockcrawler.com/
NRA Lifetime Member

[This message was edited by Hellbender on June 26, 2001 at 05:32 PM.]

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 06-26-2001, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Thanks Brad. I will be getting some of that there abrasion resistant line guard.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you

Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.