Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Broken weld or something behind the firewall

I mounted a Hi-Lift on the support rods between the radiator and firewall years ago. I removed it soon after I discovered the Hi-Lift's weight had snapped a spotweld or something similar behind the firewall where the support rod's bolt passes through.

That broken weld has periodically made a rattling sound and now that rattle has gotten pretty bad. To those who say 'live with it', I have done just that for 7-8 years but it has recently gotten so loud and constant that it has gone beyond where I can live with it. Afterall, I do drive this TJ every day. So I'm ready to do a bit of semi-major surgery to get behind that bolt hole and weld whatever has broken loose.

To get to the back side of that bolt, I can only see cutting through the top of that area under the cowl to gain access and then welding a new piece of sheetmetal to the opening once I'm done with the repair. Or maybe just welding the flap shut that I cut open. Does that sound reasonable? I don't see any other way to gain access to the area behind the firewall for that bolt.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Just do more wheeling out in JV.

Your firewall noise will get lost among all the new noises you develop after just a few trips over the trails out in JV.

Then you won't care anymore.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
stick a strong magnet around the area to hold still whatever is rattling?
Old 01-22-2007, 08:06 PM

K.I.S.S.!
JB weld the rod to firewall junction.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed
K.I.S.S.!
Yeah JBW is good stuff and I actually did exactly that 5-6 years ago. The JBW held for a while but not long enough so I didn't try it again. It's now worse than what it was when I first JBW'd it and I can't get more JBW further back behind the firewall to hold it now. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed
K.I.S.S.!
Yeah JBW is good stuff and I actually did exactly that 5-6 years ago but the real problem is the broken part is behind the firewall. The JBW held the broken part via the edge of it I could get to next to the bolt hole for a while but not long enough so I didn't try it again. It's now worse than what it was when I first JBW'd it and I can't get more JBW further back behind the firewall to hold whatever is broke now. It's going to have to be welded I think. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edit: Hmmm... I think I'll try drilling a 1/4" hole next to the main bolt hole and see if a big sheet metal screw screwed through what I think is broken will quiet things down. I think it may just be an inner piece of sheet metal whose spot weld was broken.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
hi jerry,
the cowl is pretty easy to get off expecially if you have two people to guide it back on again. i think you should be able to see whats making all the noise
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by T.Dome
hi jerry,
the cowl is pretty easy to get off expecially if you have two people to guide it back on again. i think you should be able to see whats making all the noise
Thanks Tim, I've already had the cowl off a few times over the years and as you say, it is easy to remove. However, the part that needs welding is completely hidden under some formed sheetmetal that covers the entire area under the cowl. The only access I can come up with would be via cutting a big piece out of that sheetmetal.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Yeah JBW is good stuff and I actually did exactly that 5-6 years ago but the real problem is the broken part is behind the firewall. The JBW held the broken part via the edge of it I could get to next to the bolt hole for a while but not long enough so I didn't try it again. It's now worse than what it was when I first JBW'd it and I can't get more JBW further back behind the firewall to hold whatever is broke now. It's going to have to be welded I think. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edit: Hmmm... I think I'll try drilling a 1/4" hole next to the main bolt hole and see if a big sheet metal screw screwed through what I think is broken will quiet things down. I think it may just be an inner piece of sheet metal whose spot weld was broken.
Yank the cowl before you do anything. You may be surprised where that bolt is attached and how accessible it really is.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Yank the cowl before you do anything. You may be surprised where that bolt is attached and how accessible it really is.
REALLY! I had taken the cowl off several time years ago and remembered that area as pretty sealed off. Plus a recent close exam through the louvers seemed to confirm that. Wow, that'll be the first thing I do Saturday morning. Thanks Blaine!
Old 01-25-2007, 05:08 PM

Fixed! Not the glorious fix I envisioned involving punishing the offending piece with the welder but a fix nevertheless.

A big-ass sheetmetal screw through the firewall to hold the busted piece behind the firewall solidly against the firewall finally stopped the 8 year-old loud snapping/rattling noise behind the dash. It snapped and rattled loudly and incessantly, ruining some otherwise nice drives.

Pulling the cowling didn't help, underneath is one big piece of welded sheet metal that completely blocked access to the normally hidden area I needed to get into. I just wasn't looking forward to butchering up the sheetmetal and then leaving a crappy looking welded patch on top of the big hole I would have had to cut.

This fix was easy in hindsight, I should have thought of fixing it this way years ago. Well, at least I am super pleased... sometimes the littlest problems can become deeply irksome after too many years.