Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2001, 07:37 AM

Rocktoberfest???

Anyone have any info/dates/etc.?

I'm gonna try and make it out, we'll see if a MO mud buggy/camping/fluffy rig can climb a rock

2000 TJ 4.0L, A/T, all factory options.
Jeep Rater Score 360
http://www.hellbender.rockcrawler.com/
NRA Lifetime Member

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 07-22-2001, 08:49 AM

Fun in the Desert X, October 6 & 7, 2001 Rocktoberfest!!!

For information visit:
http://www.mscomm.com/~emwick/vv4w04.html

Fun in the Desert X, Featuring the "Hammers"
The following trails are being featured both Saturday and Sunday. Please be sure to include your preference, by name for Saturday only on the registration form. Choices will be given by the postmarked date on the envelope. In the order in which they are received for completed registration forms only.

All of our trails are rated on a 1 to 5 scale, with 5 being the most difficult. These trails are tight and there are very few escape routes. There is a high probability of body damage or breakage on all our trails.

Sledgehammer Rated: 5
A full size vehicle can make this trail but, with probable damage

Jackhammer Rated: 5+
Not recommended for full size vehicles

Clawhammer Rated: 4+ with a 5+ optional canyon at the top.
No full size vehicles.

Aftershock Rated: 4+
A full size vehicle can make this trail but, with probable damage.

Outer Limits Rated: 5
This trail is not for full size vehicles

Sunbonnet Pass Rated: 4+
This trail is not for full size vehicles

Wrecking Ball Rated: 5
This trail is not for full size vehicles. requirements: 35" tires, 4:56 gears or lower, hard lockers only, in the front and the rear, and you must also have a winch. We can only sign up a limited number for this trail, so again the requirements WILL BE enforced.

Saturday Only, Masters Course Rated: 5++
Trail used in the Warn RCC, This trail is not for full size vehicles. There will be no rock stacking.

New
This year we will add a new run, which will moderate, and will be rated a 3+. Those who would like to sign up for this run, just write "New" in your first choice trail preferences.

THOSE WHO WICH TO RUN TRAILS TOGETHER, MUST HAVE ALL REGISTRATIONS IN THE SAME ENVELOPE, NO EXCEPTIONS. CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES, WHILE DRIVING OUR TRAILS, IS PROHIBITED BY LAW AND WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

Everyone must go to Safety Inspection to Sign the Release Form. Everyone must have a seatbelt.

All vehicles WILL BE REQUIRED to adhere to all CA4WDC, Inc safety requirements listed below; Those not meeting the minimum requirement, WILL BE turned away with no refund.

1. Roll bar of full cage or factory installed hardtop.

2. Functional parking brake or micro brake.

3. Tow strap or rope (recommend rate at 2 times the vehicle weight).

4. First aid kit.

5. Jack capable of lifting the vehicle and a tool capable of removing lug nuts.

6. Spare tire equal to or within 3 inches of existing tires on the vehicle (no temporary spares)

7. Fire extinguisher with gauge indicating good / full, appropriately stored.

8. Seat belts for all passengers.

9. CB Radio REQUIRED with antenna(s) not exceeding 4'6"

10. Adequate attachment points front and rear, i.e., tow hooks, receiver, etc. Tow balls are not generally recommended.

11. Battery hold downs (no bungie cords).

12. Must have functioning low range in transfer case.

Also required: 'LOCKERS' (Lock-Rite, ARB, Detroit, EZ locker are acceptable) in front and rear axle. 33 in. tires WILL ALSO BE REQUIRED. 456 GEARS AND LOWER ARE RECOMMENDED.

On Friday nite, we will be featuring a 'cheap' spaghetti dinner for all those who do not wish to cook. This will be offered from 5:00 to 7:00 pm. Also, Victor Valley Four Wheelers will host a variety of children's activities. Our children seem to love the hayride, and of course the "Find the quarters in the sand pile". Who knows what else we can come up with.
Kathy's Kid Kamp will also be there, and weather permitting, will hold crafts and or games. For the kid's on Saturday afternoon at 2:00 pm. So be sure to bring the whole family.

Pre-registration is required by: Sept 1st 2001 Registration includes: 1 dash plaque, breakfast on Sat & Sun., goody bag, and two runs. Raffle to be held on Saturday night.

Confirmation of registration will be mailed upon receipt of registration fees. Information and instructions, and maps will be mailed around September 25 - 29th, 2001
Dinners are extra and must be pre-paid. There will be some sold on site.

Tri-Tip Dinner(s) $8.00
Kids Hot Dog Dinner(s) $3.00
T-Shirts: Small, Med, Large, X-Large $13.00 ea, 2X-Large & 3X-Large $15.00 ea.

Make checks payable to:
Victor Valley 4-Wheelers
P.0. Pox 401733
Hesperia, CA 92340

On site registrations will be subject to available openings, and will be $65.00

For more information call:
Mike @ (760) 240-1954 (both) emwick@mscomm.com
Kathy sassykathy.galjeeper@verizon.net
Bob @ (760) 951-8787 (eve.) jeepinWbob@aol.com

Trial sign-up preference (Saturday Only).
Old 07-22-2001, 10:35 AM

My plans are to ship my rig out on a transport and fly out to meet it or maybe just ride with the semi-driver (I hate to leave my rig unattended on a transport). Then drive back through Arizona, then hit Moab/Colorado.

I have 0 rock-crawling experience, is this event something I can participate in or should I just be a spectator and go play/learn at a different time/place?

I've only got a front tru-trac (detroit in rear), I could stick in a locker before I come if I have to, I hate to run a long trip w/ a locker in front and no hubs, though.

Is a factory roll cage acceptable?

How many vehicles will be there?

Sorry for so many Q's, but I'll be lost, so you guys will have to lead me in the right directions, if you don't want to mess w/ me, just say so, no problems.

Thanks
HB

Jeep Rater Score 360
NRA Lifetime Member

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 07-22-2001, 10:43 AM

HB, don't know why your rig would not do well. The Detroit/Tru trac/auto is a good combo. Ask Kat for her website with hundreds of pics of Johnson Valley trails. Should help you see what you are getting into.
Old 07-22-2001, 11:14 AM

HB,

Factory roll cage is acceptable, that's what we have. As for the lockers, mrblaine will have to jump in to answer that. I think that your rig would do well rock crawling. Everyone signs up for Saturday and Sunday is for those who survive Saturday (sounds scary). Blaine is out in the garage working on Roberts Jeep right now. I'm sure that he will respond later. The Tri-Tip dinner is very good and last year they had pumpkin and apple pie for sale for a $1.00

Number of rigs? I was so overwhelmed that I don't remember. 20 - 25 per trail if I had to estimate, probable less.

Here are last years pictures
http://www.justaddrocks.com/Johnson_...cking_ball.htm
of course we picked the hardest trail with the exception of the Masters Course.
Old 07-22-2001, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Brad- No problems with you or your jeep. You will just follow with us and we NEVER leave anyone for any reason.

As far as the lockers go. I have no experience with any thing but detroits and ARB's. I do know that you need all four to turn at the same time without fail. No exceptions. You will have to decide if your rig can do that. One other thing, anything that can be done to lower your center of gravity is most helpful.

Let me know as soon as you can if you will be here. That will determine my trail choice. I will send you a copy of the registration. All who want to run the trail together have to submit their entries in the same envelope. Otherwise you take what you can get.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 07-22-2001, 04:04 PM

I've been contemplating it... but don't much care for hundreds of rigs on the trail. Is there a reasonable pace?

Seth

<a href='http://seth.rockcrawler.com'>Tightey Whitey World</a>
Old 07-22-2001, 04:35 PM

Seth,

The pace is very reasonable since not all of the rigs are on the same trail at the same time. It takes you as long as it takes you. It's important to get lined up early so that you are not at the end of the group, that way you can watch the others finish. Everyone waits for everyone and we return to the lakebed together.

I had a really good time last year, you won't regret it. Some camp, but we stay at the Super 8 in Yucca Valley.

JeepKat
Old 07-22-2001, 05:05 PM

Is there a plan/ coordinator?

Old 07-22-2001, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Seth, I don't understand what you are asking.

Old 07-22-2001, 07:29 PM

Blaine,
You mentioned that the entries need to be submitted together. Are you organizing that effort? Do you need help?\

Is there a trail plan?

Old 07-22-2001, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Seth- you have to submit entries in the same envelope if you want to run a trail together. This is Rocktoberfest in Johnson Valley. I can make a copy for you and give it to you on the night run if you wish. I am not sure who is doing the organizing just yet.

I know that Kat and I are in and Garry also. HB is a solid maybe. And you???

Old 07-22-2001, 10:18 PM

I'm in. I can head up and fill it out or find the one in CA4WD and mail that.

What works best for you?

Old 07-23-2001, 06:43 AM
Administrator

The best thing would be to fill out the CAL4WD version and mail it to me or get it to me somehow. Maybe a coffee run. Then we will include your entry with the rest of ours.

Old 07-23-2001, 07:57 AM

Ok. Maybe I'll head up one evening this week and introduce myself.

Any days better than others?

SEth

Old 07-23-2001, 09:06 AM

I would like to get in on this but not for any of the over the top stuff - I am thinking that the new trail (3+) and maybe one of the 4+ trails would work for me. I don't have Sergy money to repair my Jeep after a run on Sledge

HB, I had a Trutrack in my D30 for awhile and FWIW, I got rid of it because it didn't work all that well in the rocks - a full Detroit works much better and you really won't notice it all that much in 2wd without the hubs. If you want to run out here, my experience says to swap it out - a lockrite or easylocker would be better even though it uses the weaker open carrier - as Blaine says, you need all 4 tires turning no matter what.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 07-23-2001, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Seth- just about anytime is fine. I have a flexible work schedule and as long as I accomplish a specific number of tasks, my time is my own.

HB- One more little item will be a set of spare front axles. We have plenty at this point.

Old 07-23-2001, 12:16 PM

Robert,

You mean that I might just have some company on the new 3+ trail, that would be great
Old 07-23-2001, 01:07 PM

Yes Kat, you will have some company

98 TJ Sport
Old 07-23-2001, 09:03 PM

Anyway to do a ride-along on Sat. and then run some trails on Sun.?

I don't want you to change your plans/routes because of me.

I'll stick a front Detroit in before I come out.

I'm trying to see as much good southern CA stuff as possible in about 7 or 8 days, what else shouldn't I miss while I'm out there, the Rubicon? Baja? What would you suggest? I've never been out west or to the desert at all.

Did you mention Garry guides Rubicon runs for a fee?

I'm driving back through Arizona and then hit Moab and camp for a couple of days.

I'm probably planning too much for 10 days or so, huh?

Jeep Rater Score 360
NRA Lifetime Member

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 07-24-2001, 10:29 AM

HB, keep in mind that driving distances out here tend to be a bit different than back east The Rubicon is 1 days worth of driving just to get to it and then another simply to return to So Cal. You then need to figure 2-3 days on the trail.

Big Bear is close by, as is Johnson Valley, Stoddard Valley, Los Coyotes and the Anza Boreggo and Mojave deserts - all have some very nice wheeling and scenery and are within easy driving distance from where most of us live. What you do will kinda depend on how much you want to do and what kind of wheeling you want to do. JV is hardcore rockcrawling, Stoddard is a little bit less so. Los Coyotes, Big Bear and the deserts all have some challenging spots but generally, the wheeling is a little more low key but much better for scenery and relaxing in the great outdoors. If you are worried about getting wheeling in, don't be, we have alot of varied stuff to ride on so you will certainly have your choice.

I think you can spend a week with us and then head to Moab on your way home for a really good trip. The Rubicon is a little out of your way so f you want more rocks than JV, you could also stop in Phoneix on your way home an wheel with some of those boys. They have some nasty stuff there as well and you could ride I-10 all the way home from there.

The Detroit is a really good idea, make sure you pay attention to the preload on the carrier when you go to drop it in.

98 TJ Sport
Old 07-24-2001, 11:12 AM

That's a full plate, no doubt. But there are a lot of options out here. Anza Borrego is the largest state park with the exception of Denali, and it has some easy, but senic desert runs. Right next to it is Truck haven. If you're camping, you can do one, camp and do the other. And they are right near highway 8 for accessability. I'm sure that we could take you through those.. they are easy, but fun. Sergey has some pictures of Heart Attack Hill, and Jeep Squeeze.. There are some other places out there that are beautiful, but again, after the hammers, really really easy. Truckhaven is filled with "gozintas and gozoutas" and that's about it. But you go where you want and how you want, and make it as intense as you want. It's where they hold Teirra Del Sol every year. Beyond that there is the Los Coyotes Indian Reservation, again, lightwieght stuff compared to most. But fun, and right near by is Julian, CA, really pretty and famous for apples this time of year (October), they have big festival, etc. It's a tourist trap, but they've got good pie.

Big bear, as recommended by folks here, is a lot of fun too.

To get and idea of what the terrain and scenery is like, go to Scott Hill's web site www.real-jeeps.com and look at his trail reports, you can get an idea of it all by name.
Jeepkat's page has tons of pictures too: www.justaddrocks.com, but she has way to many pictures of heart stopping jeep action.

I'll gladly take a day off or two to informally guide you around. Mind you I"m not an expert trail leader, but I can usually find a but load of fun to get into.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-24-2001, 04:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Mind you I"m not an expert trail leader, but I can usually find a but load of fun to get into.

R/
William Karstens

[/quote]

Un Hunh HB that's the truth.

Let's see
Sandstone wash, running into unprepared stuck family ( she's still screamin our names), scorpions, snake in my glove box, busted u-joint....

Wait a minute most of those things happened to me

I guess I'm the bad luck charm after all.

Sean M Higgins
higs@higsrigs.com

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Old 07-24-2001, 07:03 PM

Worst thing that happened to me was the near roll, and a crumpled fender.

I'm gonna have to head out that way really soon. If not I'm going to spend a lot of weekends there this fall anyway.

R/
William
Old 07-24-2001, 07:29 PM

All- Sorry for the slow replies, but I've been having server problems for the last few days and I keep getting cut off in the middle of something...Aggravating.

Anyway, Thanks for all the help and offers, I'm really looking forward to coming out. If we can find a sitter, I'm trying to talk my wife into flying out to meet me for maybe 2-3 days, but she hates flying.

William--did you get my last e-mail w/ the info you needed? Thanks for the guide offer, sounds like a blast.

Blaine--Use your judgement on what I can do, I have no idea.

I carry front U-joints, but no shafts, I'll round up a set before I come.

Jeep Rater Score 360
NRA Lifetime Member

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 07-24-2001, 07:59 PM
Administrator

HB- u-joints out here are truly a fluff item. Typically what happens is that the breakage of the u-joint is cause by yoke failure. When the yoke goes, or get egged by the joint caps, the only way a cap will stay in is by welding.

Old 07-24-2001, 10:54 PM

On the D30 Detroit, are you speaking of normal carrier bearing preload?

I don't have a case spreader, so I normally set them up as tight as possible w/o damaging the shims on an external shim design.

Or on the D30 (w/ internal shims) add the amount specified in the FSM over 0 side to side clearance and beat the carrier in w/ a dead-blow hammer. On this style I enlarge the ID on the old bearings (to make set-up bearings) so I don't have to pull & press the new bearings a bunch of times to adjust shims.

I don't get in a hurry when I set-up gears.

Jeep Rater Score 360
NRA Lifetime Member

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 07-25-2001, 06:51 AM
Administrator

That seems to be the right way based on what I have watched a couple of gear heads do. But then what do I know? That's why I don't do mine.

Old 07-25-2001, 06:54 AM

HB,

I'm sure we could get a consensus here (Hint hint SEAN) and could arrange for 2 or 3 days depending on how you feel with after the hammers.

Idea for three day Meet in big bear, do John Bull, or Deepcreek/holcomb valley ~ camp in Big Bear. Next morning, drive over to Los Coyotes Indian Reservation (about 80 miles), spend the day playing there (prolly, with small group, run tobogan and if time, the mine road). Camp there, or head to Anza Borrego and do the Jeep Squeeze, Heart Attack Hill, Sandstone Caynon run, and over to truckhaven.. Camp and then you could be on the road..

Two day I'd say meet in big bear, John Bull, or the other, drive out to Anza Borrego camp, and then run HAH, Sandstone Caynon, and on from there.

R/
William Karstens
Old 07-25-2001, 07:12 AM

i am trying to get the requirements for the new trail at johnson vally and so far i left to phone and two emails but no respond yet i will keep everyone posted