Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-28-2003, 09:48 AM

Just How Bad Are Optima Red Tops Side Post?

I have heard of people destroying the batteries using the side post for winching. I want to use them for a ready welder in my Jeep. Two batteries in series for 24 volts. The instructions say it will average 200 amps welding 3/8" down. I've played quite a bit with two marine batteries and the wires never get warm.
Will they work for this purpose? Has anyone actually hooked a winch up to them and ruined the battery?
Thanks,
Ron

car jeep car jeep car jeep car jeep
Old 02-28-2003, 10:09 AM

Ron,

I ran my Ramsey 9000 from the side posts for about 4 years before Optima started telling people it was a no-no.

I've seen the test data, electrical calculations and photographs. The Electrical Engineer in me agrees that you should not connect high amperage devices to the side posts.

The Georgia Redneck in me says, "hell - it worked with no problems for four years"

I moved mine to the top posts when I did the dual batteries, solenoid and welding cables.

Don't know how often you'll use the RW - or what it's electrical characteristics are. If it were me, I'd probably err on the cautios side.

With that said - I've never _personally_ seen a fried side post in almost 10 years of Optimas.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:14 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Ron,

I used to have an old Warn 4000# winch running off the side posts of my old red top for a few years in my old YJ. When I got the TJ and the 8000# winch was about the time that the anti-side post sentiment started coming out so I put it on the top posts. That battery lasted about 6 years without a problem.

Since you are running only about half of the amps of the winch and the starter on the Jeep 6 cyl. draws 160 amps (v-8's can draw about 175 amps), you'd probably be alright. It has been my experience with the Readywelder that it is used for shorter periods at a time than longer sustained winch pulls.

Are you trying to wire up some sort of quick connect/disconnect sort of setup with the wiring? One thing that is nice with my dad's two-battery setup is the knife-blade switch so that the welder can quickly be turned off, otherwise that welder is always "hot" when plugged in as you know. He has an old "welded" battery terminal to prove it.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:36 AM

Thanks Jeffs.
What I'm thinking is:
For now (until I get good enough to start cutting and fabricating on the Jeep) I'm going to carry the extra battery behind the passenger seat and pull it out and hook it up if I need it. Using the side post for this task makes it simpler to do . As the Ready Welder comes with such short leads, I was thinking of carrying some extra cable to connect the second battery closer to the work.
I have lots of plans to do this right but I need more skills.
I'm thinking I can cut a chunk out of the tub just behind the drivers seat (where the passenger seat used to be) to weld in a sunken battery box. So many plans, so few skills! I'm learning though....
Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-01-2003, 07:11 AM

Ron,
The length and size of cable BETWEEN the 2 batt's will affect the amperage output of the welder, also.

You might talk to more knowledgeable (than me, anyway) about the exact effect this has.

I know when I do the poor man's method (w/ jumper cables) if things are too hot, we just add another cable between the batt's.

HTH,
HB
Old 03-01-2003, 07:33 AM

Thanks Brad.
I do karry a set of jumper cables and it sure couldn't hurt to attach them in addition to the cable.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:49 AM

Ron,

I've carried a Ready Welder for a few years now. I do not carry an extra battery, but instead carry two sets of marine adapters. I use my own battery after removing it from the tray, then borrow a battery from another vehicle, put the adapters on, and connect the cables. This saves a lot of weight. I've never had an issue of another off raody not loaning a battery when needed. Since I've ony ever used it on other people vehicles it's been easy to convince them to laon their battery.

Sorry, but I can't help with the side post question due to carrying the adapters. I've never felt the need to tempt fate when it only coost a few bucks to do it right.