Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Introduce Yourself
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introduce Yourself This is a welcoming section of our bulletin board. New members, after completing the initial registration process, please stop here first to say ?Hello?

Old 01-02-2004, 04:36 AM

Thumbs up Regards from Moscow, Russia

Happy new year from cold and snowy Russia. Next months, I want to buy a used Jeep Wrangler from Germany and drive it to Moscow. 3-4 years and not more than 30-40,000 miles. I've never owned one - is there a chance that it will survive another 5 years in this climate? It will be driven in town, most of the time, and on fishing / hunting trips during weekends. I don't know how they service them here in Moscow but there are a couple of Jeep services around, and anyway driving a Cherokee has been quite popular with Russians since the early 90s.

Maybe somebody already has experience with Jeeps in Russia?

Happy new year to all of you from
Thomas, a German in Moscow
Old 01-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Administrator

Re: Regards from Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas
Happy new year from cold and snowy Russia. Next months, I want to buy a used Jeep Wrangler from Germany and drive it to Moscow. 3-4 years and not more than 30-40,000 miles. I've never owned one - is there a chance that it will survive another 5 years in this climate? It will be driven in town, most of the time, and on fishing / hunting trips during weekends. I don't know how they service them here in Moscow but there are a couple of Jeep services around, and anyway driving a Cherokee has been quite popular with Russians since the early 90s.

Maybe somebody already has experience with Jeeps in Russia?

Happy new year to all of you from
Thomas, a German in Moscow
We have experience with Jeeps and we have experience with folk from Moscow, but I'm not sure if we have both. Maybe we can toss them both in a pot and see what happens?

What sort of fleet do you manage?
Old 01-02-2004, 06:51 AM

i googled up your climate in moscow, does not seem all that different to what we have in Maine. jeeps do fine around here, and also our northern neighbors. about the only big issue is with the stock radiator. seems Jeep thought it was a good idea to mate plastic with metal with a crimp. pretty prone to leaking, but a good metal replacement radiator does the trick.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:35 AM
AA reject

Hi Thomas--
Welcome to this site. I believe we have spoken before when you were in Germany.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:16 AM

Welcome aboard Thomas. A couple of our members here have lived in Russia & I hope they have some info for you. Good luck with your Jeep when you get it!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Reggae

I am originally from Moscow. But I have never owned a vehicle in Russia, therefore take my advise with a grain of salt.

I think, Jeep Wrangler is just right for Russia. It may be not that fast, but it is very maneuverable. I think, the short wheelbase and good visibility make it a perfect getaway auto for when you get boxed in by bandits on the road.

My uncle was boxed in driving his Niva one day. He said he was able to squeeze between the foes. He was sure, had he been in a longer car, he wouldn't be able to get out.

Also, with the "on the fly" four wheel drive, you'll be able to pull the transfer case lever, and drive over the sidewalk curbs, or boulevard dividers, if you have to.

I would recommend buying the jeep with hard top and hard doors (or get the hard top and the doors for it right away). The soft top (brezent), is too easy for anyone to slash with a knife.

Also buy, or have somebody fabricate, a lock for the hood (kapot). Wranglers do not have hood locks from the factory, and any weirdo can open the hood on your jeep, while you are not watching.

I am not sure what kind of motor and axle combinations are available in Europe. Here in the US, we always recommend the inline 6-cylinder gasoline engine (4.0 Liter), and Dana 44 rear axle. If possible, avoid the Dana 35 rear axle; those are easier to brake. You do not want the Dana 35 rear. You want the Dana 44 rear.

Get the Wrangler that is from the model year 1997 or newer. It looks like this, with round headlights (this is my 1999, when I bought it):

Welcome to the JeepBBS. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions, we'll be happy to help.