Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Introduce Yourself
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introduce Yourself This is a welcoming section of our bulletin board. New members, after completing the initial registration process, please stop here first to say ?Hello?

Old 06-28-2004, 05:14 AM
Aussie Goat Lover

Aussie TJ owning Goat Rider

Hey dudes,

Nice BBS

I hang out on aussie jeep and 4wd sites ausjeepoffroad.com and outerlimits.com most of the time (hi to any ausjeep or OLers lurkers!).

I've got a 97 TJ 4.0L 5 spd, tera 4", 4.56's, detroits few other bits.

Hot rodding my 8274 winch at the moment for these stoopid winch comps we have over here (more winching than driving !) as I almost killed my low mount in the outback challenge this year.

some pics of it here if you're interested : http://community.webshots.com/user/jeepngordo

<name dropping mode ON> just to annoy Matt (aka Eselkopf) - mrblaine you may even recognise the ugly bloke who was my navigator for the 6 day event in case it's still a secret...

...Don't forget to give him heaps of $hit about his impending first aussie rockcrawling appearance at the xrcc at the end of august too..consider me an anonymous source

xrcc: http://www.xtreme4x4sport.com.au/xrrc.htm

my local jeep club site : www.actjeeptraction.org .. a good bunch of blokes.

Hope to get to my TJ's motherland someday and checkout some rubicon and moab action.

Later !
Old 06-28-2004, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Re: Aussie TJ owning Goat Rider

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordo
Hey dudes,

Nice BBS

I hang out on aussie jeep and 4wd sites ausjeepoffroad.com and outerlimits.com most of the time (hi to any ausjeep or OLers lurkers!).

I've got a 97 TJ 4.0L 5 spd, tera 4", 4.56's, detroits few other bits.

Hot rodding my 8274 winch at the moment for these stoopid winch comps we have over here (more winching than driving !) as I almost killed my low mount in the outback challenge this year.

some pics of it here if you're interested : http://community.webshots.com/user/jeepngordo

<name dropping mode ON> just to annoy Matt (aka Eselkopf) - mrblaine you may even recognise the ugly bloke who was my navigator for the 6 day event in case it's still a secret...

...Don't forget to give him heaps of $hit about his impending first aussie rockcrawling appearance at the xrcc at the end of august too..consider me an anonymous source

xrcc: http://www.xtreme4x4sport.com.au/xrrc.htm

my local jeep club site : www.actjeeptraction.org .. a good bunch of blokes.

Hope to get to my TJ's motherland someday and checkout some rubicon and moab action.

Later !
How do you hotrod an 8274?
Old 06-28-2004, 07:37 AM
Aussie Goat Lover

Hey mrblaine,

I'm still a 8274 noob...I'm just copying the work of a very cluey guy (Mal Leslie) in Melbourne, Aus than comp-preps 8274's whose article appeared in Aus 4wd Monthly mag issue jun 04.

Mods include :

2x 0.5" stainless support bars across drum to welded ears (aka lowmount) for strength;
gearbox and motor breathers;
gearbox drain and fill plugs;
alloy motor cap to take bearing (lose the brass bush);
alloy drum cap with o-ring to replace flimsy plastic cap;
painted/waterproofed motor armature;
armature machined to fit new bearing (std alternator size);
brake assembly shaft tapped with 0.5" bolt and alloy spacer/washer to prevent the exploding brake pnenomonomomomom;
drill and R-clip free spool shaft to prevent disengaging under load;

other mods (not covered by the article featuring Mal's work)...

fitting a 5.5/6hp motor (from 9.5xi or other brand eg T-max)

Something I don't understand after researching this topic at some length - why haven't Warn encorporated these mods as standard into the 8274 model line (with a 6hp option)??
Old 06-28-2004, 07:56 AM

Warn almost killed off the 8274 a few years back and only kept it around due to some underlying demand by the hardcore crowd. I can understand why they don't want to throw alot of money into retooling a winch that frankly, not alot of people want to own. Personally, I'd rather have one than the laydown that I have but I have other issues.

Speaking of issues, what is a goat rider or do I even want to ask that question
Old 06-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Aussie Goat Lover

Speaking of issues, what is a goat rider or do I even want to ask that question

My TJ's name is the Goatsack hence I am a Goatrider

Old 06-29-2004, 01:18 AM

Found somewhere else to haunt huh

Just on the 8274 - I think you US lads would be surprised at just how many people over here run the HiMount.....
I likes mine very much although having lost a circlip (ie the entire brake) whilst I'm getting my butt dragged up a hill does tend to liven ones day up

I've been thinking about a retainer method - via drill & tap the shaft - but I was Warned that it weakened the shaft ....Probably still will do it.....

As well as the mods Gordo has listed, Also I'll be tapping an air line into the motor housing to help keep it cool....also to allow it to be presurised...
www.jeepaction.com.au/
Old 06-29-2004, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordo
My TJ's name is the Goatsack
Well,
I guess thats better than you having that nickname welcome aboard.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wooders
Found somewhere else to haunt huh

Just on the 8274 - I think you US lads would be surprised at just how many people over here run the HiMount.....
I likes mine very much although having lost a circlip (ie the entire brake) whilst I'm getting my butt dragged up a hill does tend to liven ones day up

I've been thinking about a retainer method - via drill & tap the shaft - but I was Warned that it weakened the shaft ....Probably still will do it.....

As well as the mods Gordo has listed, Also I'll be tapping an air line into the motor housing to help keep it cool....also to allow it to be presurised...
Rather than that, why not take some copper tubing, about 3/8" in diameter and wrap the whole motor housing in it starting at one end.

Take the two ends and plumb them into a cooler with their own fan or circulate engine coolant through.

The btu extraction is astounding. I did the inverse and made the coil I described to heat water and have a 50,000 btu burner going at full blast. No more than 5" away from the full blast burner, the legs of the coil are zip tied to the burner frame and they have never melted.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:07 AM
Aussie Goat Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by Wooders

Wooden1, hey man !

Yeah coops relayed your circlip woes over a beer recently. Go the tap. I reckon the explodo-shaft probs (haven't heard of any directly) would be caused when the shaft is heated for people that are too sensitive about their lathes bits crapping out.

If it IS heated it should be properly re-tempered afterwards..or so people that have a clue about this stuff tell me...mine ain't getting the torch just hard drilled lathe love.

Was thinking of the airline too..the setup you describe mrblaine sounds the goods... very mad scientist, effective and potential for big bling too - polished copper pipe . Dudes over here run their air compressors to em but that's pretty lame IMHO.

I reckon liquified CO2 from a co2 tank would be the go nice n cold under all conditions...Have heard of someone running liquid helium for ultra cold but don't think that stuff comes cheap.
Old 06-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Aussie Goat Lover

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Well,
I guess thats better than you having that nickname welcome aboard.
kin' oath...

Cheers Robert !

btw, I gotta ask...what's with the "harbor freight" interest ??..doesn't mean anything to me..just curious..favourite old job of yours or something ? Just point me to a old post if you're tired of explaining it
Old 06-29-2004, 08:39 AM

Long story short- I got into a rather hilarious ****ing match with a bunch of morons on another board who were trying to convince the world that Warn winches were simply over priced junk and that the Harbor Freight chinese crap winches was just as good. I tried to find it over on the other board to link you to it but the guy who started it must have deleted it. Too bad, it was quite amusing - we even got Blaine into it
Old 06-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Aussie Goat Lover

ahhhhh soooo

Yeah we've got some chinese winches creeping into the market too..t-max, premier, brawn, thor etc

I was looking into a premier brand 4.6hp motor maybe for my 8274 as they're a direct copy of a warn from what I can tell...quality is another thing totally.

Still want to see if I can get my 2.5hp rewound to 6hp or more
Old 06-29-2004, 07:06 PM

Gordo,
i don't know why you don't just go with dual motors
www.jeepaction.com.au/
Old 06-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Aussie Goat Lover

AWESOME IDEA !

My goal is to have the same power out of the winch as the 4.0L..then when I run out of petrol just switch to electric !

...ideas man
Old 06-29-2004, 08:40 PM

BTW you DO realise I'm serious?
This mod was done by one of our Qld redneck brethren.....ok not a Jeeper.....
But basically used both gear motor ends & ditched the "dead end"
www.jeepaction.com.au/
Old 06-29-2004, 09:35 PM
Aussie Goat Lover

gotta link dude ?

dual motors, end on end ? dual 6's=12hp! not counting losses through what would have to be a beefed shaft.

Contrary to what I would have thought...Max reckoned his 8274-50 with the 9.5xp's 6hp motor + solenoid box didn't net any more speed just less heat... wonder if anyone does gear ratio upgrades to use the extra hp ??

Could even get new gears turned up, they're not too special..just straightcuts...would just have to work out a good ratio
Old 06-30-2004, 12:30 AM

Mate I can not fond the danged thing.
It was performed by a casual visitor to the OuterLimits board - and I belive he was a runner in one of the XRCC series - but no detail to be found???
www.jeepaction.com.au/