Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 10-06-2005, 10:22 PM

Transfer case shifting

I did a 3spd auto conversion in the TJ to which I want to thank Blaine, Fred (Stealth TJ) and Mike (MJR) for all their help, I couldn't have done it without their assistance! Worked perfect right out of the garage.

I am now having a problem with the transfer case shifting into 4 low smoothly. The linkage adjustment seems good but I get a good grinding especially when going in or out of 2/4 low.

Also, when in 4wd high or low if I try to put the trans in Park it makes a grind/rattle almost like loose parts in the bell housing(no there is not any) which it does not do in 2wd?

When driving it has no issues, I have only put approx. 5 miles on it with the auto. The transfer case worked great with the 5spd with no grinding.

The transfer case is the 231 with the Tera 4 to 1

Bill (Driveshaft on the board) also has the same trans/transfer case set-up (with the 4 to 1 but factory auto) and has the similar grinding and park issues, but not as severe.

The front drive shaft is not installed at this time(being shortened due to the auto)if that makes a difference, which I am starting to think it does.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 10-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Your missing front driveshaft is part of the problem. If I forget to lock my front hubs I get the grinding as well. The front driveshaft will spin the t-case input which will help sync it up to put into 4WD. Also, for the auto to go into 4-low you're supposed to be slightly moving, throw the tranny in neutral and then switch to 4-low. If you're stopped and can't move you can put it in 4-low with the engine off.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:48 PM

Thanks Jeff,

I had a feeling that might be the culprit. I should have the drive shaft back early next week so I can try it out when it is complete.

Tim
Old 10-07-2005, 08:17 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
You're shortening the stock manual drive shaft? the 2.5" diameter one?

If so you might want to stop and get a 2" one now, there's a clearance issue from what I've seen on Chris L's old rig.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:24 AM

John,

Yes that is what I was going to have done but now you and Blaine have said to do the smaller diameter. I went out and looked at it and it does look like it would be tight with the trans.

I am calling them to have the shaft changed.

Thanks for the help

Tim
Old 10-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Can I buy a clue?

Jeff Weston-
"Your missing front driveshaft is part of the problem. If I forget to lock my front hubs I get the grinding as well. The front driveshaft will spin the t-case input which will help sync it up to put into 4WD. Also, for the auto to go into 4-low you're supposed to be slightly moving, throw the tranny in neutral and then switch to 4-low. If you're stopped and can't move you can put it in 4-low with the engine off. "

--I know this isn't about the post, however as you said Jeff, is it the same procedure for the TJ manual to be put in 4L as the auto?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Can I buy a clue?

Jeff Weston-
"Your missing front driveshaft is part of the problem. If I forget to lock my front hubs I get the grinding as well. The front driveshaft will spin the t-case input which will help sync it up to put into 4WD. Also, for the auto to go into 4-low you're supposed to be slightly moving, throw the tranny in neutral and then switch to 4-low. If you're stopped and can't move you can put it in 4-low with the engine off. "

--I know this isn't about the post, however as you said Jeff, is it the same procedure for the TJ manual to be put in 4L as the auto?
Old 10-07-2005, 03:36 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by H8PVMNT00
I haven't had a manual tranny Jeep for 7 years, but I think it was different for the manuals. I remember having to be completely stopped for switching in and out of 4-low on the manual. I'd have to look in the manual again to see what it says.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Can I buy a clue?

thanks no problem. dont worry about it. IM sure i have my manual laying around here somewhere to look at..thanks again