Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Virtual Rally for JV in the news....

The rally seems to have generated some attention. Here are a few quotes:

"Growing more alarmed as word spread of the possible land requisition by the Marines, off-roaders this week mounted a four-hour “virtual rally” over the Internet in a show of solidarity. By their count, there were 1,495 messages posted and 33,976 page views within four hours." [...edit...] "Many posts carried a common theme: admiration for troops, hopes that they return home safely and support for the military – but near-unanimous opposition to turning the valley over to the Marines". [...edit...] "Losing the Hammers, one Internet posting read, “would be like baseball losing Wrigley Field or golf losing Augusta"."

Congressman Duncan Hunter plans to address the Possible Marine base expansion into Johnson Valley off-road area issue at a meeting with off-road enthusiasts on March 22, between 9 & 11 am at the Cuyamaca College Student Center, 900 Rancho San Diego Parkway, El Cajon. Conference rooms 1207-1208.

Full article here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/m...14offroad.html
Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 AM

It was on the first page of today's San Diego Union Tribune's 'B' section (local news) too. It was actually fairly sympathetic to our cause, at least it didn't make us look like we were the bad guys.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 AM

WOW - great stuff.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
I set up a roll call on MJR:

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/ca...day=2008-03-22

Chris and I will be going.

Tam
Old 03-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Another article, this one in the Marine Corps Times: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news...ffroad_031408/

"Word of the virtual rally appeared to reach combat center officials, who issued a press release Wednesday morning to deny that any decision has been made about Johnson Valley or other areas being studied for the expansion ahead of its plans for a full-blown federal environmental impact statement. “Base officials continue to study areas along its boundaries for potential acquisition to meet Marine Corps training requirements,” the statement read. “They stressed that no decision has been made on which areas would be most appropriate to the Combat Center’s training mission"."
Old 03-16-2008, 03:49 PM

Cuyamaca College is ~1/4 mile from my house, or 2 stop signs away. If folks are going to attend, they are more than welcome to come to my home first if they wish and we can carpool.

PM me if you need my address.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Cuyamaca College is ~1/4 mile from my house, or 2 stop signs away. If folks are going to attend, they are more than welcome to come to my home first if they wish and we can carpool.

PM me if you need my address.
Some of us will be driving 130 miles and you want us to carpool for the last quarter mile? I know there's more parking at the college than there is around your house.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Internet jeeps rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Some of us will be driving 130 miles and you want us to carpool for the last quarter mile? I know there's more parking at the college than there is around your house.
Yep, about 150 or so miles for me I'll be there, and if I can find a decent hotel for the night, I might make it a weekend in San Diego with the family. I'll probably drive down to Blaine's and follow him to El Cajon.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:39 PM

True, there should be parking available. However, I have a feeling parking will be cheaper at my house. College parking = $.

I'll drop by CC tomorrow to see what visiting folks parking will be like.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:13 PM

I met with Barb Takahashi a few minutes ago. She is the Senior Administrative Secretary for Cuyamaca College. Very nice lady.

She made a few phone calls for me to Congressman Duncan Hunters office and to the college security folks. Then informed me that parking will be free for those attending the meeting.

She didn't know off the top of her head how many seats were available in the two conference rooms. So I suppose it's possible that folks will be standing. I'll know more tomorrow after I speak with her associate Pam who is incharge of the Student Center Facility rooms. We will basically have two joining conference rooms in the "I" building on the second floor.

If at all possible, I would try to park in Student Lot #1 and walk towards the Student Center, "I" building.

Here's a link to the campus map.

http://www.cuyamaca.edu/cc/pdf/sprin..._CampusMap.pdf