Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 06-24-2003, 11:08 AM

Is The Rubicon A Trail Or A Happening?

I've had the pleasure of doing The Rubicon Trail with good people a couple times now. After the first trip I had decided I would never do it again on a weekend. This last week we went up on Tuesday and came out on Saturday. Coming out was a total fuster cluck. Every kind of Jeep and crew imaginable was going in on the trail Saturday afternoon/morning. From groups similar to ours to head banging beer drinking young party goers.
My brother and I were thinking how dissapointed some of the far away folks that had planned for a Rubicon adventure were going to be when they discovered The Rubicon Trail on weekends is not so much an outdoor experience but a Happening.
My point is, if you plan on doing the 'Con on a weekend be ready for long trail lines, head banging music, attitudes and crowded camping areas. Guaranteed!
If you want to enjoy a more peacefull experience, plan your trip on the un-crowded week days or at least leave early and come out late.
I'm not complaining, I'm just passing on some info for those who might not know............
Old 06-24-2003, 01:01 PM

While you make valid points Ron, they are quite frankly old news. Hell, the yayhoos up there even made the LA Times last year.

One big reason and why it won't change anytime soon (without drastic changes or outright closure) is that the Rubicon used to be out in the sticks. Not anymore. All you have to do is drive east on the 50 to see how close suburbia has come to it.

If I were a early 20 something who lived in that area and I was looking for a place to party and had the rig, the sluice and Spider (being only say a 4 hour trip) would be very tempting. Nothing wrong with that if you are still a kid but for the rest of us, it can be a PITA. 2 years past when we went, we timed it to conincide with Sierra Trek (which is over on Fordyce) and the trail was empty - we had a blast. We even camped at Spider which is tough to do if you are an old fart who wants some peace and quiet at night
Old 06-24-2003, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
While you make valid points Ron, they are quite frankly old news. Hell, the yayhoos up there even made the LA Times last year.

It was not old news to the disgusted folks we talked to on the trail as we were waiting our turn coming down.

I doubt any one living outside of LA would give the Times more than a glance if it was the only material in the john.........
Old 06-24-2003, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
I doubt any one living outside of LA would give the Times more than a glance if it was the only material in the john.........
I don't even give it that - cancelled my subscription a long time ago.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
It was not old news to the disgusted folks we talked to on the trail as we were waiting our turn coming down.
Well I'm not really to sure what to say about that - there is plenty of talk about the trail and its associated issues on various websites, and not just this one, JU or POR. Now I know that not everybody spends as much time on the net as some of us but it seems to me that if I were planning a trip a long way from home that required a fair fiancial and time investment, you can bet I would read up on it as much as possible and then plan accordingly. POR has a great forum moderated by Del Albright (Friends of the Rubicon) that is specifically for and only for the Rubicon Trail. Seems to me its not to hard to go there if you want to know more

Were they simply ****ed off at the shear number of people out on the trail? Because if so, they have only their own lack of planning to blame.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:48 PM

Haven't grown up (at least my Jeep did) 4 wheelin on the Rubicon, I can assure you that it is most definitely a happening. I've run it early in the season (march-june) when theres not a single other sole around. I've also sat thru the craziness of a jamborree.

Both have their ups and downs, but if you're planning rubicon on a weekend when schools out, better be prepared for stupidity worse than a high school parking lot. Why? Because lawlessness prevails. There no police watching, no parents watching, and no boundaries. Drinking and drugs are everywhere.

So. Be warned. Its ridiculous.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Banned

Ron, I think it's more of an early season thing. The trail has always been crowded when I have gone in June, it's never been crowded when I have gone in August. At least you got out before the Saturday crowd arrived, it got pretty rowdy.
Paul
Old 06-24-2003, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
......but if you're planning rubicon on a weekend when schools out, better be prepared for stupidity worse than a high school parking lot. Why? Because lawlessness prevails. There no police watching, no parents watching, and no boundaries. Drinking and drugs are everywhere.

So. Be warned. Its ridiculous.
That sums it up except for the attitudes of so called grown ups:
A guy was trying to back up from where he had pulled off the trail to make room. He needed a foot to not run into the guy with an attitude in his old CJ. The attitude guy would not move an inch even though he had ten feet in front of him and knew he could have helped the guy out.
Also lots of broken junkers I wouldn't take on a dirt road.
Hecklers camped on the trail with drinking teen agers out to watch the show and generally B cool.........

Robert,
You can read about it but possibly not think the class of people could be so low. Especially if your from a small town in the midwest or something.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:19 PM

I dunno Ron,
Maybe I'm overly jaded but I pretty much expect people to act like asses. Nice people are always a pleasant surprise but I don't expect it as the standard, especially wheelin - which IMO has an unfortunate talent for attracting yayhoos.
Old 06-24-2003, 02:21 PM

Its really become a mockery of what it used to be. Its a lot like spring break, every weekend. I'm not even looking forward to going this year.

Thats bad.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by sethmark
Its really become a mockery of what it used to be. Its a lot like spring break, every weekend. I'm not even looking forward to going this year.

Thats bad.
Your sig, is that how the Pillsbury doughboy practices birth control?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:09 PM

Yep.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
I don't even give it that - cancelled my subscription a long time ago.
El Teimpo De Los Angeles?

BWAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!

A group from Seattle went dont to run the Rubicon not too long ago and I opted out.

Not sure where I read it, but it seemed that the trail was a 24 hr drunk fest on the weekend to the point of being genuinely dangerous. I guess the phrase 'play with your own life, don't play with mine' comes to mind. I like risk and adrenaline as much as the next guy, but only when it's my hand that runs the lever; if ya know what I mean.

There are hiking trails on the I-90 corridor (largest interstate heading East out of Seattle) that are beat wide enough to drive a Jeep up. I have a feeling if it wasn't for boulders, the Rubicon would be as wide as a four lane highway.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:54 PM

Nope.
It's not a highway because some locals (a couple on this board) go up there and bust there asses fixing up the damage and clean the mess up.
God Bless 'em........

BTW, they now have police on quads up there to patrol things on weekends. Time will tell what that does in the future.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:18 PM

I agree that early season weekends after memorial day up through 4, July weekend are insane.

I do ok putting up with or inoring whatever cuz I used to be know it all teenager too.

early season, late season and midweek is when it is enjoyable.

It is true it is closer to suburbia, and there are many more rigs capable of getting in. (not all get out without some headache).

there is a crop of the younger punks and thier associated white trash friends that come up to get wasted, bust their junk and party on. I think Eldo Co. SO will be having a field day with some of these kids.

I think if a punk (young or old) gets flown out for DUI and possession of a controlled substance, has thier rig towed out and impounded it would make a HUGE statement. word would spread like wildfire that it happened.

btw, wildfire is what scares me the most up there. well, maybe a 50/50 split over gunfire at night. I can easily put up with a dumbass kid wasted and rolling in the box. sooner or later darwinism will take over, but when they leave campfires burning or start yahoo shooting into the night is when I get really ****ed.
Old 06-24-2003, 10:34 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
btw, wildfire is what scares me the most up there. well, maybe a 50/50 split over gunfire at night. I can easily put up with a dumbass kid wasted and rolling in the box. sooner or later darwinism will take over, but when they leave campfires burning or start yahoo shooting into the night is when I get really ****ed.
Last time I was there we put out a small smoldering fire in the pine needles just before the Sluice. Like you, I get very uneasy when the drunks are bringing out the firearms late at night by Spider Lake. I've only been going to the Rubicon for about 5 years now and am amazed at how much things have changed in that short time.

If you're looking for a trail free of all the crap that you find on the Rubicon on weekends, I'd suggest doing the Dusy Ershim. It is clean, uncrowded (I've done it twice and seen a total of about 10 other rigs on the trail) and about have the distance for those coming from SoCal. For those who like to fish, the lakes are plentiful too. It does get up there in elevation so make sure you're well prepared for an evening chill.
Old 06-25-2003, 02:38 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
This thread is kinda dissapointing. I'm really looking forward to the upcomming trip, excited about that "Rubicon Adventure" thing. Sounds like there'll be more to worry about than just the rocks. Thanks for posting this, at least I'll know what to expect.

Brian.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:52 AM

Brian,
Don't let this scare you. If you're going with the traffic and avoid the most popular hours you're going to have a good time. You just have to consider all this as part of the show. The trail is still challenging and the scenery spectacular.

Who knows? You may be treated to some fire works after midnight like we were on Wednesday. Not just your average bottle rockets and fire crackers but expensive mortor types that Ka-Boom Woosh Ka-Pow Crackle Crackle. The show was earlier and more intense on Thursday evening. The providers of this display obviously wern't worried about the wind, fires or the law..........
Old 06-25-2003, 08:05 AM

A buddy approached me about setting up a Rubicon trip this August. However, after reading this thread, I'm more inclined to suggest moving it to early September, and during the week when school is in session. I'm thinking first week or so, before hunting season.

Probably a smallish group of four or five rigs.

Sound like a reasonable time??
Old 06-29-2003, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
after reading this thread, I'm more inclined to suggest moving it to early September, and during the week when school is in session. I'm thinking first week or so, before hunting season.

Probably a smallish group of four or five rigs.

Sound like a reasonable time??
September is a good time. Just check the forecast carefully to avoid unlikely early snow. Actually, even early October is good, as long as you avoid getting out there and hitting an early snow storm. It can get fairly windy in September/October, but less mosquitos. I would not totally rule out some of the several upcoming Jamborees out of Georgetown. At least there's some sense of discipline on the trail, but you sacrifice a lot of freedom to enjoy the trail at your own pace. The Jamborees herd you through quickly rather than letting you savor the beauty of the trail, play on the obstacles or enjoy some of the attractions, like the lakes. I've experienced May, July, August and October runs. I liked May & October the best, weather wise. If you go during the summer don't forget insect repellant. And remember, the worst day on the Con is still better than the best day doing most other things.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited