Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 02-22-2005, 01:36 PM

Front trac bar

Front Trac Bar

I am running the old style RE adjustable front trac bar on my Jeep. It has the TRE at the frame end for adjustment. I think it is a weak spot in the front end becasue I have had a case of bump steer for the last 2 years. It is more noticable now that I put on long arms. I hae replace the TRE once and now it has play in it again. I would rather upgrade than keep dealing with it if possible.

I wanted to see what the rest of you guys are running up front with 4.5 springs (I also have .75 spacers on top of those).

I think the Jeep is still short enough to use an adjustable trac bar like RE's with a heim or Curries johnny joint but I am not sure if those will work well with any extra atriculation from the long arms.

I would rather not deal with the drop bracket and superflex jointed RE trac bar if I don?t have to. It seems it is a little long for the 4.5 springs and it may bring a dropped pitman arm into play which I am currently not running.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff B.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Re: Front trac bar

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff B
Front Trac Bar

I am running the old style RE adjustable front trac bar on my Jeep. It has the TRE at the frame end for adjustment. I think it is a weak spot in the front end becasue I have had a case of bump steer for the last 2 years. It is more noticable now that I put on long arms. I hae replace the TRE once and now it has play in it again. I would rather upgrade than keep dealing with it if possible.

I wanted to see what the rest of you guys are running up front with 4.5 springs (I also have .75 spacers on top of those).

I think the Jeep is still short enough to use an adjustable trac bar like RE's with a heim or Curries johnny joint but I am not sure if those will work well with any extra atriculation from the long arms.

I would rather not deal with the drop bracket and superflex jointed RE trac bar if I don?t have to. It seems it is a little long for the 4.5 springs and it may bring a dropped pitman arm into play which I am currently not running.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jeff B.
Describe "bump steer".
Old 02-22-2005, 02:57 PM

I am no expert but, when I hit a bump headed down the road I get a little front end wobble. The steering wheel isn't really moving in a direction but I usually need to the wheel to correct it. On a flat surface surface it tracks perfectly and seems to turn fine.

Jeff B.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I am no expert but, when I hit a bump headed down the road I get a little front end wobble. The steering wheel isn't really moving in a direction but I usually need to the wheel to correct it. On a flat surface surface it tracks perfectly and seems to turn fine.

Jeff B.
Describe wobble.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:32 PM

I just feel a wobble in the whole front end. If you hit a pot hole in a normal car you will feel the tire drop then an then the thud of impact and then you are going straight again down the road.

Well after the thud of impact on a bump I get a wobble that feels like it affects both tire and that they do not keep tracking straight. I am not sure how to describe it. I feel like I can feel the weight of the tires through the steering wheel trying to decide which way they should go.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I just feel a wobble in the whole front end. If you hit a pot hole in a normal car you will feel the tire drop then an then the thud of impact and then you are going straight again down the road.

Well after the thud of impact on a bump I get a wobble that feels like it affects both tire and that they do not keep tracking straight. I am not sure how to describe it. I feel like I can feel the weight of the tires through the steering wheel trying to decide which way they should go.
That's not bumpsteer or death wobble, sounds like you have something minorly loose and or out of balance or cupped front tires, maybe bad shocks.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:15 PM

Blaine,
Let me ask you this then. I was just under the Jeep and it appears there is a little play front to back in the draglink. If I grab it with my hand I can pull it forward about a half inch. I assume this is a bad thing.

I just had the front end aligned, I rotated the tires(they could be a little out of balance) and re-tourqed down the trac bar TRE adjustment end because it tends to work it's way loose over time. Should I start looking at the play in the draglink as the likely suspect.

Thanks
Jeff B.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Blaine,
Let me ask you this then. I was just under the Jeep and it appears there is a little play front to back in the draglink. If I grab it with my hand I can pull it forward about a half inch. I assume this is a bad thing.

I just had the front end aligned, I rotated the tires(they could be a little out of balance) and re-tourqed down the trac bar TRE adjustment end because it tends to work it's way loose over time. Should I start looking at the play in the draglink as the likely suspect.

Thanks
Jeff B.
That would do it. Do this. Have someone sit in the driver's seat, unlock the steering, engine off, crank the steering wheel rapidly back and forth. Move is as far as it will move freely without turning the wheels at all. Typically about 8" back and forth.

You watch all the components in the front end. All the linkages and connections including the trackbar. No play should be evident in any of them and any that have it should be tightened or replaced.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:20 AM

Thanks Blaine. I will try that this afternoon after work. I think the adjustment piece on the draglink maybe be toast so I will have to look at it. I think that is where the play was coming from last night.

Thanks
Jeff B.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Blaine. I will try that this afternoon after work. I think the adjustment piece on the draglink maybe be toast so I will have to look at it. I think that is where the play was coming from last night.

Thanks
Jeff B.
If you think that is true, I'd recommend you not drive it until it's repaired. If that adjuster sleeve seperates, you won't have any steering control of the vehicle.

If you can't find one right away, take it off and weld it until you can. Don't dally though.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:21 AM

Luckily it is not a daily driver so it can sit until I get repaired if that is the issue. I will look at it tonight and snap a pictures of what I find.

I guess since this maybe a good time to upgrade steering components, does the currie set up also work with a HP 30 the same as the low pinion?

I noticed another thread in here where they appear to be bending the draglink for a HP set up. I would rather not spend the money on the currie unit if I have to toss it in six months because of a new axle.

I am currently running a stock LP 30 but in the market for a HP 30.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Luckily it is not a daily driver so it can sit until I get repaired if that is the issue. I will look at it tonight and snap a pictures of what I find.

I guess since this maybe a good time to upgrade steering components, does the currie set up also work with a HP 30 the same as the low pinion?

I noticed another thread in here where they appear to be bending the draglink for a HP set up. I would rather not spend the money on the currie unit if I have to toss it in six months because of a new axle.

I am currently running a stock LP 30 but in the market for a HP 30.

Thanks
Jeff
The latest generation of the Currie steering has a bit more bend at the draglink for clearance at the swaybar mount. It will work just fine with either front axle.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:36 AM

Well that's good news. I guess depending on what I find I may need to move that upgrade to the top of the list.

Thanks for all your help Blaine. I will update the thread after I get to take another look at it tonight.

Jeff
Old 02-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Jeff,

What torque spec are you cranking the frame end bolt down to?

From my web site.....
Note: Upon the advice of a local TJ owner who has had this RE track bar for some time, I re-torqued the bolt to 165 ft. lbs (he does his at 175). I checked the grade 8 bolt specs and 175 is within safe limts. I also put a grade 8 lock washer under the nut. It snuggles in very nicely in the little indented area on the frame bracket. As I write this, I have had this in this configuration for 3 months and everything is still nice and tight. I did not use Loc-tite.

It ran that way for about 3 years and I never had to put a wrench to it, except for the time when OR-Fab cross-threaded the frame end bolt.

Maybe you are already doing this....but if your are not, it provides another option to consider.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:46 PM

Stu.
It is at 150 right now so I may try to tighten it some more. I have a bigger issue with the tre working loose on the thread pitch of the bar than than the bolt working loose. I check both of them often. I am going to look into replacing the tre with a heim joint or switch to the drop bracket and different trac bar.

I just got home so I am going to take a look at the draglink if the weather holds. It is thinking about raining.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 02-24-2005, 11:56 AM

Looks like it will still be raining when I get home tonight.

You guys can really have all this rain back, I didn't miss it here.

I will look at it this weekend and see what i can figure out. The anti-rock is going on Saturday so I will be under there anyway.

Jeff