Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-30-2003, 12:20 PM

Bumpstops and spacers

Howdy all,
I've decided to install some 3/4" spring spacers on top of my HD OME springs for a little extra lift to prepare for some bigger tires (probably 33's, but I don't want this to get into a "go to a 35" debate). Anyway, I digress. I'm aware that I should readjust the bumpstops with the new spacers to keep from overcompressing my springs. In simplistic terms, and assuming that my bumpstops are perfectly set right now (factory in front, OME bumpstop spacer in rear), should I extend the bumpstops by the length of the spring spacers? (i.e., 3/4"?) If so, how? I suppose I could just use washers, or get my brother's machine shop to fab up some aluminum spacers. But, it seems to me that one should also try to extend them from the bottom, not just the top. Would a hockey puck or some such, drilled and screwed to the bottom work, or would it be too thick and not survive? Finally, what is the exact size bolt I would need (pitch, I believe?).

Thanks in advance for anyone's help.