Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-12-2001, 09:31 PM
Reggae

Philosophical Questions

If you know exactly what someone else should or should not be doing. Should you keep quiet or bug him or her about it?

If there is a choice of smacking somebody in the face or just keep smiling and continue agreeing to nonsense, which one is right?

If right is bad and wrong is good, which one would you choose?

Is it better to be alone and something or with a bunch of people and nothing?

I am just wondering what is everyone’s take on these questions. Just so you know, I am not sitting here on mushrooms or anything.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-13-2001, 12:41 AM

Ahh Yes ... Graashoppper

Now Sergey ... are these "real" philosophical questions, a "human nature" quiz a la Blaine, or related to specific persons unknown? On the assumption it's the first possibility, here's my individual take on these ...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TObject:
"If you know exactly what someone else should or should not be doing. Should you keep quiet or bug him or her about it"?
This one really depends on how close your relationship is with the subject person, and how relatively important the specific issue is. If it's truly important, you should probably speak up.

"If there is a choice of smacking somebody in the face or just keep smiling and continue agreeing to nonsense, which one is right"?
Basically the same answer as above ... however, since you're upping the ante to violence, I would personally say that you had better have a damn good reason for moving into this realm ... and being bigger than the other person would probably be a pre-requisite as well.

"If right is bad and wrong is good, which one would you choose"?
Well, that's a delightful paradox, and as such, there is no absolute "correct" answer as such. I personally prefer to be "right" and "good" whenever possible (yes, I know that's sappy to some), but I would hesitate to be "right", if I knew that that would inordinately cause harm. (Is that a sufficient waffle for you? Care for any syrup?).

"Is it better to be alone and something or with a bunch of people and nothing"?
That's an easy one for me ... it would be much better to be "something" and alone, than a "nothing" amounst others. After all, you have to live with and respect yourself, no matter who you surround yourself with.

I am just wondering what's everyone's take on these questions. Just so you know, I am not sitting here on mushrooms or anything. [/quote]

Well, you might not be sitting on mushrooms, but have you been injesting them in some manner?

Don
Old 08-13-2001, 06:11 AM

If you know exactly what someone else should or should not be doing. Should you keep quiet or bug him or her about it?
If it involves me directly, I bug him about it.
If not, I let if fall to the person who it pertains to.

If there is a choice of smacking somebody in the face or just keep smiling and continue agreeing to nonsense, which one is right?
Depends upon how big they are...

Well, that's contradictory.. kind of hard to anwer. I kind of try to choose right. But that's like Socrates asking for the definition of Justice in the opening dialogue of "The Republic".

It's better to be in your Jeep, Jeeping.

I am just wondering what is everyone’s take on these questions. Just so you know, I am not sitting here on mushrooms or anything.

Hmmm... is there something deeper to all this?

R/
William Karstens
Old 08-13-2001, 06:56 AM

TO,
I would have to wonder what kind of situation you're talking about like:
This guy insist on putting a 500 cu in V8 in his Jeep and running it with a stock drive train. BEAT HIM UP!
or:
My friend is going to marry a pot head with five kids and insist all is fine. In this case I would tread lightly.

Ron
Old 08-13-2001, 07:11 AM
Reggae

Do you really have to know the situation? Wouldn’t it be fair to act the same way no matter what the situation was? I guess this is another philosophical question.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-13-2001, 07:25 AM

Do you really have to know the situation? Wouldn't it be fair to act the same way no matter what the situation was? I guess this is another philosophical question. [/quote]

What you suggest is monolithic, black-and-white and pristine, versus the more typical shades-of-gray "messyness" that typically occurs in the real world of human beings.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:26 AM
Banned

If the person is looking for support or response I'd respond, otherwise I'd take it as information and leave it at that.

Isn't it only nonsense if you don't agree?

If wrong is for the greater good then I'd be wrong.

If you're alone, who thinks you're something?

And no, you don't really have to know the situation if you believe in the principles of what you're saying.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-13-2001, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Matters not. Leopards seldom change their spots and even if you can see the error of a path taken, a compass is seldom welcomed by those walking the wrong way. Generally you will wind up being a dead messenger or at least the brunt of an angry retort.

Smacking someone is wrong, pick another route to counter nonsense. Not smiling is also an option. Why would you agree with nonsense? Surely there are more options available. Regardless, if that is the only two choices, smiling is the lesser of two evils. People rarely get tossed in jail for smiling.

At one point, I chose wrong in order to feed a friends family for an extended period of time one winter. This was good, they did not hunger. They ate well on all the the poached game we provided.

Another time, I move from CA to NM to help my father, this was bad, I almost did not recover from the relocation and my father only wanted license to run amok amid protection.

If you are truly friends with yourself, being alone is sometimes the best company. Only when you are at odds with who you are, will the company of others become necessity. Know thine enemy.

I am just wondering what is everyone’s take on these questions. Just so you know, I am not sitting here on mushrooms or anything. [/quote]

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:42 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:
If you are truly friends with yourself, being alone is sometimes the best company. Only when you are at odds with who you are, will the company of others become necessity. Know thine enemy. [/quote]

Hmm.. That says more than most people know. Every read Hume Mr. Blaine?

R/
William Karstens
Old 08-13-2001, 07:54 AM
Banned

Maybe JeepBBS needs a suggested reading forum

AN ENQUIRY CONCERNING HUMAN UNDERSTANDING
by David Hume
c.1748

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-13-2001, 09:15 AM
Administrator

I don't know who Hume is. Never read any philosophy. Just not enlightened enough.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 08-13-2001, 01:54 PM

(This one is hard depending on if you actually know what they should be doing or you feel you know what is best for them. If you see the person is making a mistake with clear consequenses, then perhaps you could speak up depending on your relationship to them. If you feel you know what is best for them, it's probably better to keep quiet. No one likes unsolicited advice and everyone has to make decisions right or wrong to learn in life.)

(How much crap can you take smiling? This would depend entirly on how controlled you can stay in the face of stupidity I guess. Everyone has a stopping point. It's probably better not to try and take it if you don't think you can make it though. Smiling and then blowing up in the end would probably lead to a needless escalation of the problem. Better to try and find some other solution instead.)

(Depends on who and how many are hurt. That one is too tough to answer with out specifics and it would vary for indivuduals anyway)

(The only person you really have to live with is yourself. This one is hard to answer too. Even though you are "nothing" you would still get "something" from the interaction with the group you are part of. I for somepeople, deep down, this would be enough to justify their "nothingness". For me, I'd rather be something and by myself. But it would be hard to by myself. Very few like to be alone.)

I am just wondering what is everyone’s take on these questions. Just so you know, I am not sitting here on mushrooms or anything. [/quote]
null

Grey 98 ZJ.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:34 PM

When I get the opportunity, I will post up my thoughts on my trip, the stuff it took to get ready and the crap I had to wade through to get home. That should provide some perspective on your questions and I don't care if some people are not going to like what I have to say. Stay tuned, I need to get out from under some stuff at work first.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 08-13-2001, 03:02 PM

Focus in on your channels of awareness and acheive inner sanctum and tranquility while simultaneaously determining your next existance and perpetuating your transmigration.

Jeeper

Many Jeeps with Stuff
Old 08-13-2001, 04:14 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeeper:
Focus in on your channels of awareness and acheive inner sanctum and tranquility while simultaneaously determining your next existance and perpetuating your transmigration.

Jeeper
[/quote]

Yabba dabba do !! That's the transcendent equation I have been earnestly seeking all my life! Now I can retire a happy man and gain entrance into the inner sanctum of eternal bliss (isn't that JeepBBS?). Anyway, thanks Jeeper ... I'm forever indebted. Pardon me now while I float downstream in 4LO compression.
Old 08-14-2001, 10:37 PM

I would mind my own business, unless it some how affected my business. No one appreciates a busy body that can’t mind their own business. I dislike when people say: “I’m telling you this for your own good, you need to do this, or you shouldn’t do that. How would I know all of the circumstances that caused someone to do or not to do what they are or are not doing, walk a mile in my shoes before making judgments about me. Be an insider looking out, not an outsider looking in.

I wouldn’t smack someone anywhere, that would only lead to hard feelings and more violence and I wouldn’t listen to nonsense either. I would excuse myself and leave.

This is a control issue. Peer pressure can play a big part these types of situations. I would always try to make the good decision, even if its wrong.

If you are a friend to yourself and comfortable with who your are, then I would choose to be alone and something. I have witnessed first hand what a lack of self-confidence and low self-esteem does to people. It’s sad to watch. Some people cannot make up their own minds over the simplest matters; others cannot live your life for you or make life-altering decisions for you. You must choose your own way.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:06 AM

"You are a child of the universe, recieve and be Love."

That's from one of my favorite techno songs. Has no revelence here.. but anyway.

Robert,

I'm hoping that I had no part in that experience. Sometimes though, the journey isn't so fun if it isn't difficult.

In Iceland, we (some friends and I) planned a trip into the interior of the country, to a place called Lamunlagur (spelling). It was pretty intensive planning, because there were many rivers to cross that could only be crossed at certain times, so we had to plan the time accordingly, but also, make sure we had time to stop and see the sights. We also had to ensure we had enough fuel, and get what we could from base, as gas off base was 5 dollars a gallon. 2 months planning, and two cancelled trips due to weather, and some vehicle problems. So because we changed the dates so much, we bailed out a week long and made it a weekend. When we went, we left late because people couldn't get on the ball, and other people jumped in. We ended up at a river way to late.. I waded into the river first to see the depth and it was up to my waist, way to deep for stock Pathfinder, YJ, Toyota RAV4... But, because there were relatives, etc. We went through. The YJ sucked water in, and died mid river. I ended up running out of the pathfinder with a strap, and jumping into the river with all my clothes on to put the strap on so it wouldn't float off. I nearly got killed from that (I ended up under the vehicle), and beyond that.. we now had a dead YJ to contend with. So for 6miles I towed the YJ in 4 low, foot to the floor in hub deep snow and ice. Untill we hit a snow field that we just couldn't cross with a vehicle in tow. We ended up on the wrong side of the river to boot.

But, we made camp, whipped up a fire, started the food.. had some hot coffee and made a night of it. It was fun. As a team, we got the YJ running (no small miracle, it invovled towing the Jeep around in gear with the spark plugs out, and a whole lot of ether) the next day, and crossed over and out back home. We didn't make where we wanted to go, our trip was over sooner than we had planned.. But you know what? It was an adventure, and we have an experience we can't for get.

It may have sucked to run the trip in 3low.. but you made it through one of the hardest trails there.. and with Bruce, Michael, and Stu.. I'm sure it will make for something more special. The events that lead up to it, etc.. But hey, you're here, alive and it was an experience. YOu could title it, "Not just another day on the 'con"..

My 3 cents.

R/
William Karstens