Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 01-08-2002, 09:48 PM

Death Valley Backcountry Exploration, January 19~22, 2002

We will be spending 4 days exploring some of the most remote roads found in the United States. Can you handle over a hundred miles of washboard dirt roads and 4x4 trails? There are many geologic wonders to be found along the way. The mysterious sliding rocks of Racetrack Playa. The desert Eden of the Saline Valley Warm Springs. The enormous “singing” sand dunes of Eureka Valley. Dozens of mines, large and small, in all stages of decay. The trip will be paced to allow extensive exploration of all of these places. We will be camping one night in each of the valleys. Plan for primitive camping at all but Saline Valley, which has pit toilets, a shower and several “clothing optional” soaking pools fed by the natural warm spring.

When: The run leaves from the Denny’s parking lot at the Roxford exit of the 5 freeway at 7AM, Saturday, January 19th. Expect to be back in Los Angeles sometime in the evening of Tuesday, January 22.

The weather: Plan for cold and windy conditions. Expect snow in the mountains, the passes between all the valleys range from 5000-7000 feet. Because of this, you will need good cold weather gear, including snow-proof boots and gloves.

Required: Food and water for 4 days. A 4x4 vehicle that meets the CA4WDC safety requirement checklist. See the club website if you are not sure if your vehicle meets this standard. Your vehicle should have at least 30 inch tires that can handle snow. Also, due to the possibility of snow on our route, you must have front and rear towhooks and a towstrap.

Recommended: A snow shovel and snow chains that you have already test-fitted to your vehicle. A CB radio with a good antenna. A weatherproof top for your vehicle. Firewood.

Fuel: Bring at least 25 gallons of gas. If your vehicle gets unusually bad gas mileage bring more than that, use your discretion. We will be a long way from the nearest gas station and rapidly changing weather conditions common that time of the year may force a long detour from the intended route.

Pictures and a copy of the flyer here

97 2-door 5-speed XJ
"Yes, tow hooks are required!
Trail Crew SoCal 4x4 Club
Old 01-08-2002, 09:52 PM

Sorry if ^that^ sounds like it is written for people that have never gone gone 4-wheeling before... but it is. I just copied it from the flyer for my club, there are a few people in there that are new to this thing and I wanted everybody to know what they were getting into.

97 2-door 5-speed XJ
Old 01-09-2002, 07:57 AM
AA reject

Alex--
Do I REALLY need tow hooks front and rear?
Been looking forward to this trip for a while now.

97 ZJ 8.0" lift, Armed and plated "short bus".
Old 01-09-2002, 02:53 PM

Wish I could go

Those are some great pics. That looks like alot of fun. Whats the total milage for the trip ?

Soon to be 6.5 lifted Bus

pics of my 98 ZJ
Old 01-09-2002, 03:31 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorcalJR:
Those are some great pics. That looks like alot of fun. Whats the total milage for the trip ?[/quote]
I honestly don't know. Do you mean to/from my house... the unpaved road part... the 4x4 part...

It will be at least 200 miles from gas station to gas station, if that is what you mean. Maybe more, depending on how much snow there is in the mountains that ring each valley. See all the pretty snow in the pictures? It wasn't there the day I arrived in Saline Valley. When I tried to leave, the road I initally tried to use had zero visibility, a foot of snow on the ground, and more coming down. I had to take an unintended detour that would have drained my gas tank if I hadn't had the extra jerry cans.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris L:
Alex--
Do I REALLY need tow hooks front and rear?
Been looking forward to this trip for a while now.
[/quote]

Well Chris... I think I will manage to find somewhere to hook up a strap if you ever do get stuck...

97 2-door 5-speed XJ
Old 01-22-2002, 12:09 PM

So how was it ??

I cant wait to hear, it was just too short of notice for this year..but next year for sure..

Jim

Soon to be 6.5 lifted Bus

pics of my 98 ZJ