Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 09-01-2003, 06:36 PM
Banned

cryogenic freezing ?

This weekend I read the writeup in Petersen's 4Wheel about cryogenic freezing. I'm just wondering if you do this treatment to a HP D30 shafts and R&P gears you could push the strength up to be able to run 37's? (if you had the proper brakes and steering)

Another thing I noticed is that they freeze the stuff to get the molecules in alinment but they heat treat after that. By doing that couldn't they have the possiblity to put the molecules back out of alinment due to the heat? I really don't know I'm just asking.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Re: cryogenic freezing ?

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
This weekend I read the writeup in Petersen's 4Wheel about cryogenic freezing. I'm just wondering if you do this treatment to a HP D30 shafts and R&P gears you could push the strength up to be able to run 37's? (if you had the proper brakes and steering)

Another thing I noticed is that they freeze the stuff to get the molecules in alinment but they heat treat after that. By doing that couldn't they have the possiblity to put the molecules back out of alinment due to the heat? I really don't know I'm just asking.
I am currently testing that theory as we speak. I have a frozen set of HP 4:88's that will be installed this week and then I have been told by the supplier to try and break them. Since I have already trashed one set on the 37's, I know exactly how to do it and where. It will be an interesting test.

I also have a side by side comparison set of front HP 9 axles to do the same thing with. I am A/B-ing Warns with frozen outers vs. the Superior alloy inners. One of the Warn outer sets is not frozen, so we'll see.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:42 AM
Banned

Re: Re: cryogenic freezing ?

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
I am currently testing that theory as we speak. I have a frozen set of HP 4:88's that will be installed this week and then I have been told by the supplier to try and break them. Since I have already trashed one set on the 37's, I know exactly how to do it and where. It will be an interesting test.

I also have a side by side comparison set of front HP 9 axles to do the same thing with. I am A/B-ing Warns with frozen outers vs. the Superior alloy inners. One of the Warn outer sets is not frozen, so we'll see.
Sounds like a real interesting test nothing better then a couple big rocks for a test lab Keep us posted I would love to see the results of this one.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I know exactly how to do it and where. It will be an interesting test.
bringing video?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

Have you done this test yet Mr. Blaine and what were the results?
Old 11-11-2003, 06:04 PM

Yes, Blaine, what did you find?
Old 11-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Hard to tell so far. I pushed pretty hard on Outer Limits in a few places, but nothing has failed yet. I also did several bumps up stuff on Sledge with no ill effects to date. I gotta break something before I can test the other stuff against it.

Is this a case of no news being good news or just being no news?
Old 11-12-2003, 04:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Hard to tell so far. I pushed pretty hard on Outer Limits in a few places, but nothing has failed yet. I also did several bumps up stuff on Sledge with no ill effects to date. I gotta break something before I can test the other stuff against it.

Is this a case of no news being good news or just being no news?
What part of the test are you on. Are you doing 37's on a HP 9 in the rear or front or a HP30 in the front?
Old 11-12-2003, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What part of the test are you on. Are you doing 37's on a HP 9 in the rear or front or a HP30 in the front?
I run HP 9's front and rear. I am currently on the Superior shafts in the front.

I have a complete spare third member set up with gears and an ARB for when I break something, along with both rear axleshafts and complete fronts both innner and outer in the Warn stuff.
Old 11-12-2003, 06:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
I run HP 9's front and rear. I am currently on the Superior shafts in the front.

I have a complete spare third member set up with gears and an ARB for when I break something, along with both rear axleshafts and complete fronts both innner and outer in the Warn stuff.
Thanks. It's pretty cool that you are running an HP 9 with 37's in the rear and not breaking yet. If you end up having success with the rear a HP D30 with 37's in the front might work with WJ brakes.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks. It's pretty cool that you are running an HP 9 with 37's in the rear and not breaking yet. If you end up having success with the rear a HP D30 with 37's in the front might work with WJ brakes.
Not exactly. I put the HP nine in the rear strictly against John Curries wishes. If it weren't for my driving style, I would have never made it last as long as I have and even then I have broken it, hence the frozen gear test.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not exactly. I put the HP nine in the rear strictly against John Curries wishes. If it weren't for my driving style, I would have never made it last as long as I have and even then I have broken it, hence the frozen gear test.

What is it going to take to convince you and John Currie that the HP 9 will work with frozen gears and 37's? I see that you have run some pretty ruff trails already what is the cut off point?
Old 11-12-2003, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
What is it going to take to convince you and John Currie that the HP 9 will work with frozen gears and 37's? I see that you have run some pretty ruff trails already what is the cut off point?
A statistical sampling of one is poor at best. I also run an auto, have a delicate foot and don't do a lot of wheel spin climbs.

The one time I did break, I was doing a pretty heavy launch up something that was taller than my breakover angle.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hinkley
Quote:

The one time I did break, I was doing a pretty heavy launch up something that was taller than my breakover angle.

Meaning= catching air!

mark
Old 11-12-2003, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hinkley
Meaning= catching air!

mark
actually Garry said- "you have to be sailing when you get to right here".
Old 11-14-2003, 08:06 PM

I am interested in long term test updates on this. I plan to stay with 35s on my HP9, but you never know.