Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 03-24-2004, 02:03 PM

Question exhaust manifold crack (recall)?

A friend of mine has a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with 4.0 I6. He is not the original owner. My question: Is there an active recall on Jeep exhaust manifolds? I thought I had heard that there may be an issue with these cracking on a consistant basis. He is trying to avoid the $300/replacement cost (although he would probably buy a header instead)..Thanks in advance...
Old 03-24-2004, 02:43 PM

Re: exhaust manifold crack (recall)?

Quote:
Originally posted by 2003KhackiTJ
A friend of mine has a 1997 Jeep Wrangler with 4.0 I6. He is not the original owner. My question: Is there an active recall on Jeep exhaust manifolds? I thought I had heard that there may be an issue with these cracking on a consistant basis. He is trying to avoid the $300/replacement cost (although he would probably buy a header instead)..Thanks in advance...
There is not a recall. 97 is out of warranty so he'll have to get ti fixed.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Check the warranty booklet. I see you're in MA which may or may not have the same strict emissions as CA. The exhaust manifold here is covered to like 80K? miles here. As for headers, I've heard of those cracking as well (the stock TJ manifold is essentially the same as a header). I've had good luck with my factory replacement flexible manifold. I saw a similar model on ebay for pretty cheap.

Here's a LINK
Old 03-24-2004, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Check the warranty booklet. I see you're in MA which may or may not have the same strict emissions as CA. The exhaust manifold here is covered to like 80K? miles here. As for headers, I've heard of those cracking as well (the stock TJ manifold is essentially the same as a header). I've had good luck with my factory replacement flexible manifold. I saw a similar model on ebay for pretty cheap.

Here's a LINK

I have that same manifold. Seems to work great. Mine came with a lifetime warranty.