Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2003, 07:47 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Need a Higher Output Alternator on your TJ 4.0L? Bolt On!

I found this post up on JU a few days ago and went out hunting for an alternator today. It's just too good to pass up not letting other folks know about it.

Check out the nice write-up provide by Firetoad on JU at
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...hreadid=431035

You are looking for an OEM 136 amp alternator(OEM PN:56027913) that was an option on the following vehicles:

1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
1998 Dodge Durango
1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I picked one up today out of a wrecked Ram Pickup (I believe it was a 98, but could have been a 99 or 00) today and brought it down to a friends shop.

It tested out at 148 Amps peak output.

This looks like a straight bolt in operation folks. I'll let you know when I finish it up tomorrow.

Mine is a 97 TJ with 4.0l and 117 amp alternator.

Frank
Old 09-19-2003, 08:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tim
i'm doin' that if i ever get a day off agian....

thanks frank!!
Old 09-20-2003, 07:37 AM

Re: Need a Higher Output Alternator on your TJ 4.0L? Bolt On!

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2

I found this post up on JU a few days ago and went out hunting for an alternator today. It's just too good to pass up not letting other folks know about it.

Check out the nice write-up provide by Firetoad on JU at
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...hreadid=431035

You are looking for an OEM 136 amp alternator(OEM PN:56027913) that was an option on the following vehicles:

1997-1998 Dodge B.Series Van
1997-1998 Dodge Dakota
1998 Dodge Durango
1997-1998 Dodge Ram Pickup
1997-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I picked one up today out of a wrecked Ram Pickup (I believe it was a 98, but could have been a 99 or 00) today and brought it down to a friends shop.

It tested out at 148 Amps peak output.

This looks like a straight bolt in operation folks. I'll let you know when I finish it up tomorrow.

Mine is a 97 TJ with 4.0l and 117 amp alternator.

Frank

Keep us posted, that would be great for my underhood welder to upgrade the alternator. I can use up to 200 amps peak power.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 09-20-2003, 08:43 AM

here is a comparison of two alts with similar numbers. it may not be anything but i wanted to put it out there just incase.
56027913AB
and the page i found them on:
LIST

looks like they are the same dimentions but there are more donor vehicles on the second link.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:19 PM

fyi: you guys who are interested probably caught it already bit it appears that the 56027913AB is internally regulated.

i am not sure if thats a bad thing because when i went searching online salvage for an alternator on the known rigs that frank posted some newer rigs came up too. rigs that according to the 56027913AB page have internal regulation.

i hope i got the right one coming..... i asked for one out of a 98 GC and i had the guy verify the number. i also know there was a 99 durango alt there too (56027913AB )

like i said i dont know how much differance it will make. maybe someone can help me figure out what it will mean.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:17 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Hi Tim.

I finished up my install today and all went well. Here is a little bit more info.

My alternator did indeed come out of a Dodge Ram Pickup, 1998. And it is Part Number 56027913. As you have pointed out this requires an External Voltage Regulator.

On 1997 and 98 TJ's and 91 - 95 YJ's the External Voltage Regulator is handled inside the PCM. On 99 and 00 TJ's the voltage regulator is located inside the Alternator.

I don't know about any other years, these are the only years I have access to Factory Service Manual for.

I do not know if an Internal Voltage Regulated Alternator, i.e. 56027913AB will bolt right up as the 56027913 did on my Jeep. However, if it does I do not know of any reason it would not work just as well on a Jeep with the voltage regulator built into the PCM external to the alternator.

In my case I went from a 117 Amp Alternator to the 136 Amp Dodge. That's a 16.2% increase

If you have the 81 amp alternator in your Jeep and bring it up to 136 amps you get an increase of 67.9% for a few dollars for the alternator.

That's a pretty good deal.

As I said I finished this up today and all is well with my TJ. Now that it is physically mounted on my Jeep and I can spin it at high speed myself, I will do some Amperage reading myself as I get the time. A friend who owns a shop was able to test this alternator for me and recorded a high amp count of 147.94 Amps.

Frank
Old 09-22-2003, 06:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to MNClimber
Just to add my own experience even though it's pretty much been said...I have a '99 TJ and it currently has a '99 Durango Alternator in it. I have no idea about the AB on the part number or anything, I believed the junkyard when they told me it'll work. It has so far, so I'm happy.

Also, a guy in my club has a '00 TJ along with the Kilby OBA stuff which relocates the alternator a bit on that year. He has an alternator out of a Dodge Stratus I believe (not sure on the year), which was bolt-up for his setup.

Mike
Old 09-25-2003, 09:50 PM

i posted my experience in the inept forum. but i thought there should be a response here since mine was a little different than frank's.

the main problem with my swap was i bought the alternator over the phone from a salvage yard in albany oregon. i agreed to buy the alternator if the seller would read me the part number and he did "56027913 " but he forgot to put the important "AC" at the end. 56027913 AC "dakota!" is what i got and being the single minded guy i am i tried to focus and work on the problem.

i had three main things going for me:
- correct amperage of 136
- physical size and bolt hole placement
- dodge dealer

things that were hinderances:
- different type of field wire attatchment
- different type of b+ boot (i had to mod mine)
- had to find a plug for field wire connection (not easy locally tangible, mostly only older cars and few trucks in the boneyards here)
- hostle dealerships

today finally i was able to make progress solely due to the local dodge dealer service manger. she allowed me to verify wiring diagrams and photocopy them. i was also allowed to look under a hood or two. hand shakes all around. before this day i refused to step foot on their lot since they have a not-so-good reputation. i changed my mind...

also a automotive electrical shop told me i could hook up my wires either way "pretty sure" is what they said. i know one of the guys pretty good and i wanted to believe him but i like to have the facts infront of me.

i also went looking for nippondenso catalogs insearch of specs. none to be found.

it seems not to many people have run into this cross gendering of wire plugs/attatchments because i couldnt find ANYTHING remotely useful on the internet on my own.

one other thing i found useful was: on my 97 wrangler with an external regulator (in the PCM) you CAN run an internal regulated alternator. the alt boys i talked to seemed really confident about that.

okay...

i have a 97 tj with a 4.0
i have a '99 dodge dakota 136 amp alternator #56027913 AC
and to top it off i have a harness from a durango with weird colored wires

(ooh! finally a piece of a durango and dakota that will wheel!)

- basically i had a green wire and a green with orange stripe (TJ)
- the durango harness had a green wire and a white with blue stripe.
- the dakota diagram showed a green wire and a green with black stripe.

the green wires matched up in color and on the diagram they were all for "terminal #2" which on my tj was the generator field driver -
dakota: generator field driver +
durango: generator field (no+- described)

i think the above kind of reinforces the swap wires if you wanna theory

i dont know if this could help anyone but here it is with the proper key words for someones search. HTH

frank and sergey thanks for the support. im so stinking tired from work i couldnt have figured it out on my own.

edit: i thought i ought to throw a link to my thread on my problems with this ----> Field Wire Swappage
Old 09-25-2003, 10:18 PM

Im going to get a 180amp alt from 4alterstart.com when I get back from Alaska. They were $150 last time I called them.

pics of my 98 ZJ
Old 09-26-2003, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by norcaljr
Im going to get a 180amp alt from 4alterstart.com when I get back from Alaska. They were $150 last time I called them.
Was that when dirt was young?
Old 09-26-2003, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Was that when dirt was young?
3 months ago.

pics of my 98 ZJ
Old 11-06-2006, 04:51 PM

ttt for robert.
i didnt know if you had replaced your's yet. i came across this in my notes today. might be helpful.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:01 PM

Has anyone looked into the cost of rewiring our 117 amp alternators for more amperage, or if it's possible? It's possible to rewire many alternators for significantly more amps, I wonder if our 117 amp can be upgraded like that.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:02 PM

i asked that same question of my local alternator gurus and they said yes. i dont know exactly how much but i think i will do it with my 136 amp when it goes.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Has anyone looked into the cost of rewiring our 117 amp alternators for more amperage, or if it's possible?
Do you need more amperage? The reason I ask, is because after seeing the troubles my dad's YJ has been through, I'd keep the electrical as close to stock as possible unless otherwise necessary.

Yes, the "world's most expensive YJ" strikes again.

In a nutshell, goodbye 700R4 and Atlas I, hello stock 3-speed and Atlas II.

Getting back to the electrical, the Mean Green alternator and/or the Painless dual battery setup also has been acting up.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by T.Dome
ttt for robert.
i didnt know if you had replaced your's yet. i came across this in my notes today. might be helpful.
Thanx......I think I am going to bolt the 136 amp in and call it good. I'm probably about due anyways....I have 90k on my stocker.