Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Perfect Wrangler-size aluminum storage box for the rear

I found a great buy today on a big locking weathertight aluminum storage box that at 31" wide, fits the back of the Jeep perfectly when the back seat is out. It's not quite as perfect as the aluminum Jeep Box (no longer made) I had in my last TJ but it's close enough. It has a support strut to hold the lid open too.

It normally sells for $170 or so but Harbor Frieght has a 25% discount coupon in their ads right now which brought it down to $136.

It's the box on the right at http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...6999/96990.pdf Their website no longer says it is available (Item # 97012) but at least in my local (Escondido CA) store, they had four of them in stock.

With Tuffy's rear steel tool box costing $450 or so, $136 for an aluminum storage box is a steal. This thing is ideal and big enough for securely carrying the junk we need for offroading.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:58 AM
dennisuello

Nice, I'll have to stop by HF on the way home today and see if they have any left.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 PM

And to think I was in the El Cajon, HF today.

IIRC, the YJ tub is ~36" across, but still, that could be a nice solution for the $.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I found a great buy today on a big locking weathertight aluminum storage box that at 31" wide, fits the back of the Jeep perfectly when the back seat is out. It's not quite as perfect as the aluminum Jeep Box (no longer made) I had in my last TJ but it's close enough. It has a support strut to hold the lid open too.

It normally sells for $170 or so but Harbor Frieght has a 25% discount coupon in their ads right now which brought it down to $136.

It's the box on the right at http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...6999/96990.pdf Their website no longer says it is available (Item # 97012) but at least in my local (Escondido CA) store, they had four of them in stock.

With Tuffy's rear steel tool box costing $450 or so, $136 for an aluminum storage box is a steal. This thing is ideal and big enough for securely carrying the junk we need for offroading.
So Jerry ... what was the aluminum "Jeep Box" you refer to? Was it an aftermarket box made by Jeep or someone else? Also, do you have any recollection as to whether it fit the cargo area better with the rear seat out of a TJ than the Harbor Freight version, or was it about the same size?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:08 AM

My last TJ had an aftermarket aluminum box in the back that was made by a company actually called Jeep Box... http://www.jeepbox.com/ ... but they stopped making what was a superb and secure storage box that was made specifically to fit the rear of a Wrangler or CJ.

Both boxes are too large to fit with the back seat in place, they are roughly the same size.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
And to think I was in the El Cajon, HF today.

IIRC, the YJ tub is ~36" across, but still, that could be a nice solution for the $.
I haven't measured it Joe but I don't think it's that wide between the tire wells where it fits in between. The 31" width is pretty ideal, it couldn't be much wider as I recall. I can't look to know for sure right now, Gerald has my Jeep back having his guy taking care of a minor smog test certification issue.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:41 AM

I just measured the back of my 2000 TJ and here's what I came up with:

- Maximum width = 35-1/2" (or 33-3/4" from rear seat bracket-to-bracket)
- Approx. length = 35" (back of front seats to inside of closed tailgate)

Although I can't afford it, Tuffy has a very cool aluminum box:

Tuffy's box measures: 35-1/2"W x 27"L x 16"H, which provides 15,336 cubic inches of capacity (actually a bit less than that based on usable inside dimensions & space).

The Harbor Freight box measures: 31"W x 20"L x 19-1/4"H, which provides 11,935 cubic inches of capacity (which, like the above, is actually a bit less than that based on usable inside dimensions & space).

The Tuffy box clearly seems more optimized to get the most storage space out of the back of a Wrangler, however, at a whopping $562, the $136 (or even $170) for the HF box is definitely a steal like you say Jerry. I need something along these lines for my TJ, but by the time I ever made it up to the nearest HF in Grand Junction, Colorado (a 6-hour round trip for me), I am sure their boxes would be gone (even if they currently have any in stock).

Don
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 PM

If you really want one from HFT Don, I'd be happy to see if they have any remaining and UPS one up to you.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
If you really want one from HFT Don, I'd be happy to see if they have any remaining and UPS one up to you.
Thanks Jerry ... I appreciate your offer.

My wife called the Grand Junction store but they were sold out. However, they let us know that they did have the demo unit left, but they wouldn't let us buy it as they said they were expecting more once the warehouse had stock again. So, I think I will go ahead and wait until they get more in.

Thanks again,

Don
Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 AM

Here's an interesting write-up on a DIY cargo area storage box (in this case, for a YJ):

http://www.pnwadventures.com/vehicle...torage-system/
Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM
dennisuello

We have at least one in Reno store.