Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-16-2004, 03:02 PM

Driveline angle

Well, the auto tranny is in. I "adjusted" the underside of the tub with a sledge and made some room for the t-case. When I push things up with the floor jack to get max clearance (it's almost flat), my driveline angle comes out at 29 degrees (best as I can measure). The CV is just about binding...at road height. No doubt rear axle droop will present a problem.

I really hate letting the rear driveline angle dictate ground clearance. Any thoughts besides dump the low pinion 44 and go high pinion 60? I'm holding off on skid modification until I figure this out.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Re: Driveline angle

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
Well, the auto tranny is in. I "adjusted" the underside of the tub with a sledge and made some room for the t-case. When I push things up with the floor jack to get max clearance (it's almost flat), my driveline angle comes out at 29 degrees (best as I can measure). The CV is just about binding...at road height. No doubt rear axle droop will present a problem.

I really hate letting the rear driveline angle dictate ground clearance. Any thoughts besides dump the low pinion 44 and go high pinion 60? I'm holding off on skid modification until I figure this out.
You have a couple of choices. My first if I was starting from scratch would be the True High Pinion 9".

Second would be to bite the bullet and get a High Angle driveline, but I don't know if that will give you enough droop.

Lastly, I would really see if I could get the t-case lower somehow. Can you drop a bubble down under the fat part or is the whole thing in the way?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:28 PM

Another possibility, if you've got the 231 transfer case, is to get the JB Conversions super short sye. It will allow you to run a little longer driveline.

Fred
Old 11-16-2004, 03:49 PM

Lift the engine a little more that will tilt the back down and should help.

Scott

PS
Welcome to the auto world, when can you come out and play again??????????
Old 11-16-2004, 06:03 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
traitor.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:11 PM
I like jesus christ

Send a message via AIM to Dukes69
Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
traitor.
sailor!
AIM: Dukes69
Old 11-16-2004, 07:16 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Give Steve a call at www.sbdriveline.com. He's been doing some work with high-angle joints.

Is your tcase using 1330 joints? If so, those yokes can stand quite a bit of grinding (as can the 1310s). The 1350 gives up too many degrees, and I couldn't $wing the 1410, so I stuck with my 1330s and ground them open. I've had the FJ full-tilt bouncing and hopping up falls without breakage.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:37 PM

Quote:
traitor.
That is my favorite reponse to any thread in a long time!

Old 11-16-2004, 11:21 PM

Re: Re: Driveline angle

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
You have a couple of choices. My first if I was starting from scratch would be the True High Pinion 9".

Second would be to bite the bullet and get a High Angle driveline, but I don't know if that will give you enough droop.

Lastly, I would really see if I could get the t-case lower somehow. Can you drop a bubble down under the fat part or is the whole thing in the way?
I could lower it down until I'm comfortable with the angle and build the skid around it, but it's going to be a pretty big "bubble".

We're talking options, including a new rear axle. By "true" HP 9 are you talking CHP 9"?
Old 11-16-2004, 11:23 PM

Quote:
traitor.
Don't worry Brian, I'll still wheel with you.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbassett
Give Steve a call at www.sbdriveline.com. He's been doing some work with high-angle joints.

Is your tcase using 1330 joints? If so, those yokes can stand quite a bit of grinding (as can the 1310s). The 1350 gives up too many degrees, and I couldn't $wing the 1410, so I stuck with my 1330s and ground them open. I've had the FJ full-tilt bouncing and hopping up falls without breakage.
I'll check that out, thanks.

The CV is all 1310, and I'm running a 1330/1310 combo joint at the pinion. I'll look at how much metal can be removed.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:57 AM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
That is my favorite reponse to any thread in a long time!

Quote:
Don't worry Brian, I'll still wheel with you.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Driveline angle

Quote:
I could lower it down until I'm comfortable with the angle and build the skid around it, but it's going to be a pretty big "bubble".

We're talking options, including a new rear axle. By "true" HP 9 are you talking CHP 9"?
Nope, I'm talking a rear high pinion that is arguably stronger than a HP 60, easier to fab to and with and relative new on the market.

http://www.truehi9.com/index.html
Old 11-17-2004, 08:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
What about using one of those new offset joints from Tom Woods at the t-case yoke? I saw something about them very briefly yesterday, supposed to be good for another 10?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:04 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Driveline angle

Quote:
Nope, I'm talking a rear high pinion that is arguably stronger than a HP 60, easier to fab to and with and relative new on the market.

http://www.truehi9.com/index.html
Thanks for the link, Blaine. My dad has a 31 spline 9" rear end he's willing to give me. Sounds like this center section would be a good fit, just need it narrowed up.

On a quick glance through the site, something caught my eye. It says they use "actual 9" Ford style gears", but further down say "stock gears will not work". Huh?

I could raise the RE belly skid up to the '02 and before height and call it good. However, if I switch to a HP something down the road, I'd want to mod the skid again to get all the clearance I can. I'd rather do it once and be done.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Driveline angle

Quote:
Thanks for the link, Blaine. My dad has a 31 spline 9" rear end he's willing to give me. Sounds like this center section would be a good fit, just need it narrowed up.

On a quick glance through the site, something caught my eye. It says they use "actual 9" Ford style gears", but further down say "stock gears will not work". Huh?

I could raise the RE belly skid up to the '02 and before height and call it good. However, if I switch to a HP something down the road, I'd want to mod the skid again to get all the clearance I can. I'd rather do it once and be done.
The key word being style. They are the same size but the teeth are cut the opposite direction.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:35 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

as said above.. raise your engine some more. you can get almost 2" raised on the engine befor the transmission hits the tub. this will greatly improve your angles. i am guessing you want a perfectly flat belly plate....
you might want to concider the 1" drop belly.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Driveline angle

Quote:
The key word being style. They are the same size but the teeth are cut the opposite direction.
Blaine:

So basically the gears ARE NOT Ford 8.8 like other rev. cut 9" axels? Are these gears the same strength as lo pinion 9" gears but reverse cut???

Joel
Old 11-18-2004, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Driveline angle

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel77
Blaine:

So basically the gears ARE NOT Ford 8.8 like other rev. cut 9" axels? Are these gears the same strength as lo pinion 9" gears but reverse cut???

Joel
That's what they state on their website. I do know that standard 9" regular cut gears are stouter than all get out.

Easily equivalent to Dana 60 in strength and get stronger as the ration gets lower.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:46 AM

New 3rd. member

Blaine:

So I suppose your contemplating a new pair of 3rd members for your Jeep?

Joel
Old 11-18-2004, 08:28 AM
Administrator

Re: New 3rd. member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel77
Blaine:

So I suppose your contemplating a new pair of 3rd members for your Jeep?

Joel
Not in the slightest. After the abuse I put them through on that last outer limits trip, I am convinced they are a lot tougher than anyone gives them credit for. It got pretty ugly a few times and they survived without a whimper.

Does that mean that everyone should run 37's on a Currie HP 9, not in the slightest, but I'm exceptionally happy with mine.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:41 AM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Re: Re: New 3rd. member

Quote:
Not in the slightest. After the abuse I put them through on that last outer limits trip, I am convinced they are a lot tougher than anyone gives them credit for. It got pretty ugly a few times and they survived without a whimper.

Does that mean that everyone should run 37's on a Currie HP 9, not in the slightest, but I'm exceptionally happy with mine.
As was I with the Currie HP9 (4.56, 31sp, Detroit) under the bloated pig of a rig my beast ZJ was. I whipped that rig mercilessly and never had a peep out of the 9.

BTW, I have a spare set of 31sp Currie shafts, stock ZJ width. They're redrilled to 6 lug, but you could always change em back. Will let them go for a song, I keep tripping over them in my garage. PM me if interested.