Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:27 AM

What flashlight are all the cool guys using?

I've seen some pretty cool flashlights around the campfire. Small, light, and very bright.

Any recommendations?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:05 AM

Harbor Freight has a little triple AAA powered 7LED light that works well.
Get it on the half price sale for around $4.50. But-the batteries don't last a long time IMHO. HF also sells a 24 pack or so of AAA batteries for around $5.
Great stocking stuffers, too.
I have several older MiniMaglites that I have converted to LED at Walmart for around $7. You do lose the ability to focus the beam though when you convert them.
I also use a few of the cheapo knock off lights that you shake to generate them-they are batteryless. Not real bright but great in vehicles and such so you always have a flashlight that works.
I keep a Coleman rechargeable light in the truck, million candle power beam(that is good for about 30 minutes on a charge) or it has a flourescent bulb (that is good for 3-4 hours). Rechargeable off cigarette lighter. About the size of a lunchbox.
I refuse to pay big $ for some of the newer lights that have come out.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:32 PM

I don't have anything really cool.

Mag light Mini-mag (2xAA) flashlights work pretty well for use around a campsite and in tents or inside of jeeps, I think.

That's mostly what I use.

I also just pick up whatever double pack of handcrank/LED flash lights Costco happens to be carrying, just to leave in all my vehicles for "just in case".

Last year I picked up a 2 pack of duracell branded hand crank emergency 3LED flashlights with radio built in. They work pretty well for around camp and are reasonably bright (equivalent to a 2xC battery flashlight, I think).

Sure you look like a r-tard cranking the light before using them but they do carry the Al Gore bio-friendly seal of approval, so that's a plus.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

surefire has some really nice lights.
there are also some pretty good knock offs avaialable.
they are called "superfire" on ebay.
i have a few of those as well. they seem to be pretty nice as well for about 20% the cost of surefire..
i guess it depends what you want to do with the light.

the surefires are a tactical light. very bright and great for blinding an attacker. the batteries are expensive, (cr123a) unless you buy them in bulk.
it is a very handy light, and has saved our asses on the trail more than once while spotting folks after dark w/o rock lights.

i am also a big fan of the LED lights. batteies are cheap, and they last forever. great for walking from the campfire to your tent.

if you want to try one of these superfires, let me know...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
Not a cool-guy light like Erik's, but I've been happy with the Coast LED lights. I've got a large one, a small 2-AA one, and a hearing aid pen light I use for work. The Energizer three led headlights are the cat's pajamas.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Best bang for the buck is the Surefire Nylatron. I have the Surefire like Erik does and Kat's Nylatron would be my favorite so far. Lightweight, cheaper, shares the same batteries so our bulk buys make more sense, and yes, have saved our butts on the trail a few times.

Besides, if you get a light that shares the same battery, it's like the WAG bag deal. Everyone needs them so someone generally knows where the good price is.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:30 PM

i second the nylatron - there is one in my driver's door all the time. black in color and are pretty cheap for the light they put out. i have the surefire L2 lumamax for using at work. two-levels of output on the LED and the brighter level feels like it could strip paint! eats batteries on that level but lasts a loooong time on the dimmer level (equivalent to a mini-mag). i get free batteries at work so i'm sort of immune to lithium 123 battery drawbacks.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:39 PM

Great info!

Surefire - I think thats the one that Erik showed me, pretty impressive light.

While searching I bumped into this highly rated light -
Fenix L1T&L2T

Either 1 or 2 AA powered, LED lights, $43. Must be a spin-off of surefire.

Not so sure I want a cr123 powered lite, I always seem to have AA's (for my GPS, hand held radio etc).
Old 12-01-2007, 02:52 PM

those seem pretty nice, Matt.
90 lumens for an hour is oook.
the surefire puts out between 65-200 lumens depending on the bulb.

Quote:
The Ultra High output P91 9-volt Lamp Reflector Assembly gives you nearly twice the light of the P90:200 lumens with a 20 minute run time. It fits nicely in an SC1 Spares Carrier for field deployment.
Quote:
The standard long life P90 9-volt Lamp Reflector Assembly produces an amazing 105 lumens of white light with approximately 1 hour of run time. It fits nicely in an SC1 Spares Carrier for field deployment.
Quote:
SureFire KL5 LED Lamp Conversion Head provides your 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, Z3 flashlights to high-intensity LED technology. This is no typical low-output LED system ? SureFire Premium Conversion LED Bulb Head KL5 uses selected ultra-bright 5-watt LEDs. When powered by two 123A Lithium batteries the KL5 produces a maximum of 100 lumens of light for an hour - more than a typical four D-cell alkaline flashlight - and provides over 3 hours of total useful light. Sure-Fire LEDs not only provide the ultimate in shock-resistance, SureFire LED flashlights also provide extended runtime since SureFire Lights produce light more efficiently at low wattage; a battery too depleted to run an incandescent lamp can still produce usable light from an LED. SureFire KL5 65 Lumens LED Premium Conversion Head w/ 1.47 Bezel is CNC machined from aerospace-grade aluminum and coated in a military specification Type III hard-anodized finish, and features an anti-reflective coated Pyrex window. SureFire 65Lum 5W LED Conversion Head KL5?s digital current regulation circuitry matches the LED's current requirements with battery output, maintaining a more consistent level of light output for the useable life of the batteries, unlike unregulated lights that are subject to a steady decline in light intensity beginning shortly after activation. This circuitry also protects SureFire LED module from current and heat-related damage. Many LED flashlight manufacturers inflate the light output and usable runtimes of their LEDs, but SureFire provides realistic output and runtime specifications based on scientifically obtained measurements. Athough any LEDs can produce negligible light output for over 100 hours, the amount of useful light produced is of a shorter duration.
some info for you...
it seems the light you are suggesting is pretty damn good.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:03 PM

I just bought one of those L2D Fenix flashlights based on your tip Matt, thanks. It's at Zombierunner.com for $53.50 then I found a "TRBLOG" coupon code on the web that gave a 10% discount. Looks like a cool flashlight and I like that it runs on AA size batteries, can't wait to get it. I was shocked at the $175 and up price for the L2 Lumamax.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to ABQ TJ
Matt, you know you want the light off of my Q GRILL!!!!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I was shocked at the $175 and up price for the L2 Lumamax.
so was I - but when uncle sam agreed to go halves on them for us when we were deployed in the sandbox two years ago it made the price much easier to swallow. i generally use it on the lower setting and only swap batteries every week and a half...but when i need to illuminate the 66.5' tall "T-Tail" of the C-5B's i work on...it does it quite nicely.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:27 PM
Reggae

Talking

This one looks nice:

AN/VSS-3 1kW xenon arc tank searchlight
Old 12-01-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post

For you, Sergey, I should have been a bit more specific.

IT NEEDS TO FIT IN MY POCKET!

Old 12-01-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ TJ View Post
Matt, you know you want the light off of my Q GRILL!!!!

That Q-grill leaves me... kinda... sortof... at a loss for words.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Pascoe View Post
For you, Sergey, I should have been a bit more specific.

IT NEEDS TO FIT IN MY POCKET!

How about Fenix Tactical MicroFire Warrior III K3500R then?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I just bought one of those L2D Fenix flashlights based on your tip Matt, thanks. It's at Zombierunner.com for $53.50 then I found a "TRBLOG" coupon code on the web that gave a 10% discount. Looks like a cool flashlight and I like that it runs on AA size batteries, can't wait to get it. I was shocked at the $175 and up price for the L2 Lumamax.
Jerry, if the light sucks, than it wasnt a "tip", just a casual mention.

If the light's great, than your welcome

Let me know either way

Fenix has a confusing line of lights. I think the L2D has 6 brightness levals, the L2T has two levals.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
How about Fenix Tactical MicroFire Warrior III K3500R then?
More specifications for Sergey -

Must cost significantly less than $488

Old 12-01-2007, 04:57 PM

this thread has had me lookin'
there is some neat new stuff out there. great new technology.
http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-l2d-q5.html

i like this one. 6 levels of intensity with the highest being 180 lumes on a 55,000 hour led bulb. the lowest being 12-53 lumens (variable) and having digitally regulated brightness...
hmmm?

oh, the kicker is the 2.5 hours at 180 lumens on only 2 AA batteries.
WOW
Old 12-01-2007, 07:04 PM

Found mention that the Innova X5 lasts quite a while on used c123a's that Surefire's won't operate on anymore.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Inova-X5-Tactica...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-01-2007, 09:33 PM

I have a few 1 led key chain type push button with slide for full time that are great to toss in your pocket I think they where 5 buck at target. I also have a few Pelican LCD and regular bulb that I think kick ass over the small mag lights and thay are tough
Old 12-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I have a couple of different ones.....each for a different task. Yes, I could use one for all tasks, but I don't.

I've been happy with this general purpose $20 LED flashlight, although I wish it ran off of "AA" vs. "AAA". I have a 90 lumen tactical light that uses CR123 batteries, but I keep that for its intended purpose.

Here is a review on the $20 LED unit.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/prodrev/g...galaxy12-1.htm

Old 12-02-2007, 11:51 PM

More than you ever want to know about illumination tools can be found here. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/
Old 12-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Reggae

Quote:
Must cost significantly less than $488
Make one out of a soup can.

BTW, did anyone catch the repeat of the Flashlights sketch on the Best of Mad TV on Saturday? That sketch is very wrong and funny – pure comedy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYa0wvzdHfE

Old 12-03-2007, 12:39 AM

This is what happens when Sergey makes me end up on youtube in the middle of the night:

An original Weird Al song with animation done by John Kricfalusi (Ren and Stimpy).

DO NOT click at work if you can get in trouble for cartoon semi-nudity nor if cartoon semi-nudity offends your sensibilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymzIk...eature=related

Kind of a catchy song, considering he's more well known for parodies.

Here's his best song and video in a long time, I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xEzG...eature=related
Old 12-03-2007, 11:59 AM

I think this is what all the really cool guys will be using soon

http://www.9voltlight.com/products
Old 12-03-2007, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
I think this is what all the really cool guys will be using soon

http://www.9voltlight.com/products
That is a VERY awesome idea.

I think they would be even more awesome at a $5 price point
Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Ahh, I remember it well, very well indeed, thanks for the memory. I was assigned to B Btry (SLT) 29th Arty in Vietnam 67 -68 in another one of the the Army's misadventures.

Making a long story short, the Army decided that mounting a Searchlight on the back of a Jeep would be a good idea. (the most diffcult task was bringing light to the battlefield in an accurate and timely manner). Putting the light in the back of the Jeep and assigning an Artillery Forward Observer to man the light and also call in "steel on target" in support of the Infantry was clearly a good if not great idea...on paper .

In reality having some guy out in the middle of the battle field waving a 100Million candlepower light around drew enemy fire much like a picnic draws ants, flys and wasps. That said from the infantry point of view they had a tendency to put the SLT guys somewhere besides with them, meaning you, your Jeep and SLT were out by yourself with the theory being that in the event of a issue you jumped in and drove back to the safety of the Platoon/Company sized element (another great idea on paper )

I won't bore anyone with war stories, but rest assured the plans of mice and men often do not work as planned. Nonetheless I survived, which my first Jeep and several buddies did not.

I can also assure you the light will scorch eyeballs. Especially so if you are working in infrared in the wee hours of the morning and unbeknown to you a small crowd of RVNS (Republic of VietNam Soldiers) has gathered to ascertain what you are doing since there is no visible light. Being dark and you are looking thru IFR goggles and of course thinking that something has gone wrong with your equipment you hit the VISIBLE light switch. 100 Million candlepower slamming into their night adjusted eyeballs that are glued to the front of your SLT will permanently blind them...

B Btry 29th Arty (SLT) unit history: http://msg_fisher.tripod.com/smry-1.html

The one you purchased off e bay is the improved model which requires less juice to kick it over and light it fire. The generator on my Jeep was about the size of the motor itself and produced about 90k volts to light the arc.

visit my forum: all rigs, expedition type travel in the SW and beyond, all are welcome, no cost just friendship...

www.savagesun4x4expeditions.com
Old 12-08-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Jerry, if the light sucks, than it wasnt a "tip", just a casual mention.

If the light's great, than your welcome.
You're off the hook Matt, the Fenix L2D is great so far. My wife demanded I hand it over to go under the Christmas tree but I snuck some batteries into it first and gave it a quick going over. It's aluminum, looks to be very nicely made/high quality, BRIGHT as heck, and even has a cool strobe effect for emergencies plus it comes with a black nylon case and wrist lanyard. It has the ability to vary its brightness somehow but I wasn't able to figure that part of it out yet. You know those Chinese and their English language Instructions writing ability.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
You're off the hook Matt, the Fenix L2D is great so far. My wife demanded I hand it over to go under the Christmas tree but I snuck some batteries into it first and gave it a quick going over. It's aluminum, looks to be very nicely made/high quality, BRIGHT as heck, and even has a cool strobe effect for emergencies plus it comes with a black nylon case and wrist lanyard. It has the ability to vary its brightness somehow but I wasn't able to figure that part of it out yet. You know those Chinese and their English language Instructions writing ability.
jerry, which version of this light did you get? is it the 180 lumen or the 135 lumen max brightness?
there is the L2D Q5 (180 lumen) and the L2D CE (135 lumen)