Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-26-2003, 10:43 AM

Unhappy These fires are taking their toll!

Looking from my front patio south, I see this. It's evidence of the fire that's going on by Dulzura, close to the Mexico boarder. In the second pic, you can see smoke from 2 different local fires. In the 3rd pic, if you look close to the center, those are flames.

Looking north from my patio, is a much closer fire near Sergeys home. Hopefully it doesn't reach his neighborhood!

This home is right behind mine. With all the brush nearby it doesn't look good if things take a turn for the worse.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:50 AM

They are! I'm surrounded on all four sides by big fires where I live though they're not close enough to my house to worry about. My Jeep was pretty well covered with a heavy coating of ashes from the fires this morning, first time I've seen that in many years.

Robert, how are you doing? You live in the Rancho Cucamonga area where a big fire is going on right now, don't you?
Old 10-26-2003, 11:58 AM

I grew up in Cucamonga (now Rancho) and have been following the fires on MSNBC and Fox. It's not fun hearing evacuations taking place near Banyan St., Archibald and Haven, as well as all those homes in northern Etiwanda.

If anyone here lives near there or are affected by any of these fires, our prayers go out to you.
Old 10-26-2003, 12:44 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Wow Joe!

Are those fires that close to you and yours? Please be careful.

I can appreciate those fires from my time, many years ago in So.Cal.

Jerry and Robert, you guys too, Be Safe, and take no extra risks.

Frank
Old 10-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
I was going to post a topic on this today but I see Joe beat me to it.

For those in the area, please be safe...

I believe both Robert and Sergey are at JV and can make it home ok today.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:10 PM

Yep, they are close.

Sergey is on his way home from JV, however, they are currently evacuating his neighborhood. I looked up on the CalTrans website to find current road conditions & relayed them to him. Hopefully he'll be home soon.

I spoke to his brother & offered the use of my truck & trailer if they need it, but he mentioned they are OK for now. If anything changes, the offer stands 24/7.

EDIT:

This is from the website.
Q How can I find road conditions?
A. For the latest road conditions, I recommend you check our Highway Information page at the following URL:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/

While you are on the road, you can call 1-800-427-7623 for the very latest conditions. The out-of-state number is 916-445-7623.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
There is also a fire going on in the mountains where I live. From what I undertsand,they are expecting the mountain to burn, and they are expecting to lose a lot of the houses.. Mine, and my GF's houses are both in the fire path I may be homeless by the end of the weekend. My family is safe... So that part is good. But it sucks to not have a home to come back to. I guess I will find out for sure tommorow.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dillard
Yep, they are close.

Sergey is on his way home from JV, however, they are currently evacuating his neighborhood. I looked up on the CalTrans website to find current road conditions & relayed them to him. Hopefully he'll be home soon.

I spoke to his brother & offered the use of my truck & trailer if they need it, but he mentioned they are OK for now. If anything changes, the offer stands 24/7.

This is not good, how close is the fire right now Joe?

Do you know if he has evacuated before for a fire in the past or is this the first time a fire has been this close?

What are the weather/wind reports looking like?
Old 10-26-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wind_Danzer

This is not good, how close is the fire right now Joe?

Do you know if he has evacuated before for a fire in the past or is this the first time a fire has been this close?

What are the weather/wind reports looking like?
I believe ~2 years ago there was a scare where his family almost evacuated because of a fire.

The fire is VERY close to his neighborhood. I think a couple miles at the most. Basically, just over the hill from where he lives. The thing is, everything between the fire & his house is all thick brush & the beginning of the housing trac he lives at.

I tried to call him (Sergey), again a few minutes ago, but had no joy to his cell phone. I did leave a message.

The weather conditions are extreamly bad. Lots of wind & heat. Some areas are having 20-50MPH gusts.

Scott,
Hopefully things change! Sorry to hear you get affected by this too.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to JMyerz Send a message via Yahoo to JMyerz
We're on fire up here too.

We actually saw one start on Friday when we were exploring the local Jeep trail...

There's two or three fires near us. The skies are covered in an orange haze, theres ash in the air, you can taste it.

If ANYONE needs help, email me. I'll be there too help.

Justin
Old 10-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
I believe ~2 years ago there was a scare where his family almost evacuated because of a fire.

The fire is VERY close to his neighborhood. I think a couple miles at the most. Basically, just over the hill from where he lives. The thing is, everything between the fire & his house is all thick brush & the beginning of the housing trac he lives at.

I tried to call him (Sergey), again a few minutes ago, but had no joy to his cell phone. I did leave a message.

The weather conditions are extreamly bad. Lots of wind & heat. Some areas are having 20-50MPH gusts.

Scott,
Well I text messaged his cell and it went though... I haev yet to get a reply but that's not uncommon, especally if he's not sitting in traffic and driving on the road. Hopefully he's on the horn with his parents or brother.

You did talk to him and not jsut leave a message the first time correct.

When is the wind supposed to subside, any idea?

Is it mandatory out there to carry fire insurance out there?
Old 10-26-2003, 02:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Quote:

Scott,
Joe,
its not looking good. I don't think things are going to change, but I sure hope so. Man.. this really sucks.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 02:39 PM

I've spoke with him a few times today. Just once I didn't get thru.

I just got off the phone with him seconds ago. He's in good hands at Blaine's house & his family is being taken care of too. He should be giving you a call soon.

At my house, the winds aren't too bad currently. Skys are dark & lots of ashes falling.

If you're a home owner with a loan, I'm pretty sure it's mandatory to have fire insurance. My last few houses had it.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Joe,
its not looking good. I don't think things are going to change, but I sure hope so. Man.. this really sucks.
Scott
Bummer. Do you have plans for evacuation in the near future?
Old 10-26-2003, 02:47 PM
Arizona Chick

Joe,

Yep, got his message. I was cooking so I missed the call.

"If the house burns, it burns.. whatcha going to do?"

Nice to see he has a sence of humor about all of this.

I'm hoping it somehow passes or misses but the way everythign sounds... it's not looking good.

Is there a place on the web where you can see the burn area and projected burn areas? I know some of the parks had them printed and posted during my trip when the fires were great a few summers ago.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Is there a place on the web where you can see the burn area and projected burn areas?
I'll check a few local news stations websites & post links here if I find anything worth viewing.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:56 PM

Here's a few local stations with info:

http://www.kfmb.com/
http://www.thesandiegochannel.com/index.html
http://www.fox6.com/
Old 10-26-2003, 02:59 PM
Arizona Chick

What is the town he is in... is it cosidered Mesa or SD?

I never mail things to his home so I don't know that address.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Bummer. Do you have plans for evacuation in the near future?
Joe,
They have already evacuated all of the mountain, from big bear down to crestline, as of this morning. My family left last night, because they are fairly certain that our house is going to be gone. I am in san diego right now, with no way to get home, since all the connecting freeways are closed from the SD fires. Hope you all are safe, and I sure hope that you all have houses. My dads got the RV, and he's going to park it somewhere off the mountain so that we have a place to stay until they let us back up the mountain to check on our house.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 03:10 PM

PM is on it's way.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:18 PM
Arizona Chick

Scott and everyone else being effected....

While I may be on the east side... just let me know if there is anything I can do to help you all.

I consider the people here like family so what every I can do to help, I will.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Scott and everyone else being effected....

While I may be on the east side... just let me know if there is anything I can do to help you all.

I consider the people here like family so what every I can do to help, I will.
Thank you so much. That means a lot to me. I am not expecting to have a home when this is over, but if I do, then thats great. We are setting up to stay at a campground for a while in the motorhome, until they decide to let us up on the mountain. Joe, I will be lookin for the PM.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
Thank you so much. That means a lot to me. I am not expecting to have a home when this is over, but if I do, then thats great. We are setting up to stay at a campground for a while in the motorhome, until they decide to let us up on the mountain. Joe, I will be lookin for the PM.
Scott
You're welcome.

BTW, I think he was talking about me when he said somethign abotu a PM. I received one a few minutes ago.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You're welcome.

BTW, I think he was talking about me when he said somethign abotu a PM. I received one a few minutes ago.
As did I LOL
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Scott
Scott and all, we are in Riverside, a few miles from the Fontana fire. The air here is so thick with ashes we can't breathe out of our front door! My truck is covered with ashes, I'm keeping the air on to help move the air around in the house........

BUT I feel fortunate so far because so far all of my friends are safe. Friends in Crestline we believe already lost their house, Friends in Running Springs, we haven't heard about their house. And my Mom is on stand by at Baldwin Lake (next to Big Bear Lake) on standby to get out fast. Other friends over on the Baldwin lake side of the mountain are just waiting to see..... With the dead forest and all of the trees dried out and dead from the bark beetles, I think the mountain may just burn down. It's really too bad and there isn't much anyone can do. My Mom is about ready to leave Big Bear, because we can't get up to help her. I have property in Big Bear too, but since my driver's lisense says Riverside I can't go up either to help

This is one of the craziest things I have ever seen in my life. I have never had so many people I KNOW effected at once.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 10-26-2003, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Sergey is safe with Kat and I. No word yet on his home. Last was they had been mandatorily evacuated.

No word from Scott Hill in Running Springs.

I am sticking this to the top for now.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Sergey is safe with Kat and I. No word yet on his home. Last was they had been mandatorily evacuated.

No word from Scott Hill in Running Springs.

I am sticking this to the top for now.
I hope we hear from Scott if they are okay, I'm sure he's out by now....... Running Springs in in the fire's path as of now. A good friend is a Riverside Fire Battallion Chief, he lives in Running Springs, I believe they are all out, or leaving......
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 10-26-2003, 04:16 PM

Quinn...
Hope your family gets out ok. If its headed straight for running springs, its not going to be long before my house in cedar glen gets hit. I just wish I wasn't down in san diego right now. I can't find much regarding the fires on the news, unless its a SD fire. Ive been in contact with my family, and everyone is safe, so thats the important part.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 04:17 PM

It's bizzarre.

The sky has been black nearly all day, the sun oarnge, and it's been "snowing" ash alllll day. My lawn is nearly white from it. It smells of fire in the air! I called Sergey this PM, and he's with Blaine (as posted), and his family has made it out... I've been channel flipping to see if I can find anything. There are 3 seperate fires in San Deigo county alone.

The list of the san diego contingent:

Sergey: evacuated, ok
Jerry B: Ok
Joe D: ok
Fred M (desert fox): ok
Seth M?

I read there's a fire in Simi Valley, so I'm not sure about Sean.
Scott Hill? He doesn't have a cell anymore I think.

I've been watching the news, and it seems that all of southern california is burning in some way or another.

It's almost like the end of the world.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:19 PM
The king of shotgun debate

My heart goes out to everyone facing this fire situation, as do my prayers.

Loosing a home is a terrible thing to have happen, but be safe and leave if they order you to leave.

I just heard the National Weather service say:

"We are expecting the Santa Anna winds to die down dramatically sometime over the next 24 to 36 hours".

I realize that is not in time for so many, but it is information I just heard and wanted to pass along to all of you.

God bless all and stay safe.

Frank