Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-26-2003, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott
Quinn...
Hope your family gets out ok. If its headed straight for running springs, its not going to be long before my house in cedar glen gets hit. I just wish I wasn't down in san diego right now. I can't find much regarding the fires on the news, unless its a SD fire. Ive been in contact with my family, and everyone is safe, so thats the important part.
Scott
Thanks Scott....... My Mom can get out several ways, it's the not knowing what will happen next, that is the trouble. And do you abandon home, or stand and wait.

She is right near 18, she can get out via 18 or 38, or take trails down towards Pioneer Town worse case. It's still clear in Big Bear as of now. I will try to find out more about your area up there..... not much real info as of now
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 10-26-2003, 04:28 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Quote:
Originally posted by Macgyver
Thanks Scott....... My Mom can get out several ways, it's the not knowing what will happen next, that is the trouble. And do you abandon home, or stand and wait.

She is right near 18, she can get out via 18 or 38, or take trails down towards Pioneer Town worse case. It's still clear in Big Bear as of now. I will try to find out more about your area up there..... not much real info as of now
Thanks for keeping a look out Quinn. As long as she can get out via 18 or 38, she should be fine. Let me know if there is something I can do. I don't know that I can do much.. being that Im down here in san diego.. But everyone is in my prayers.. If anyone hears from Scott Hill, please post up. He's in running springs, and from what I understand, its not long till they are in the midst of the fire.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 04:34 PM

No answer at Scott Hill's home in Running Springs nor at my friend's (ex-bro-inlaw) house within a few blocks of Scott's and just off 18. I imagine they've been evacuated.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Scott Send a message via AIM to Scott Send a message via Yahoo to Scott
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
No answer at Scott Hill's home in Running Springs nor at my friend's (ex-bro-inlaw) house within a few blocks of Scott's and just off 18. I imagine they've been evacuated.
Jerry,
There is a mandatory evacuation for the entire mountain, so Im sure they are gone.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wind_Danzer
Scott and everyone else being effected....

While I may be on the east side... just let me know if there is anything I can do to help you all.

I consider the people here like family so what every I can do to help, I will.
Me too. I was just out there last week. It is hard to imagine for us right coasters

I may be able to come back out if any of you need a hand. Say the word
Old 10-26-2003, 04:47 PM

Glad to hear all is safe - we've been breathing this junk all weekend.

Robert isn't that close to the RCM fire is he? I thought he was more in Chino.

Glad to hear Sergey is okay - I hope his house makes it.

No word from Scott Hill - that is a little scary.

If anyone needs anything from me let me know.

Jeff
Old 10-26-2003, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Jerry,
There is a mandatory evacuation for the entire mountain, so Im sure they are gone.
Scott
I just spoke to my ex-bro-inlaw who lives in Running Springs near where Scott Hill lives. They're packed and ready to evacuate but they're staying until they're told to get out or the fire gets to a certain point. At least for the Running Springs area, it's still a voluntary evacuation. Much of Crestline has already burned and Lake Arrowhead has been evacuated via a mandatory evac order.

They haven't had power in Running Springs since 6pm last night so it all feels very real to them. At least the Santa Ana winds are blowing in the right direction at this point so maybe those in Running Springs won't have to evacuate. But if the Santa Ana winds die out tomorrow as expected, those in Running Springs could be in for it.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:18 PM

Jerry,
There is definetly some conflicting info going on.. From what I understood, the entire mountain, from big bear all the way to crestline was supposed to be evacuating. As far as the fire, With all the dead trees up there, It wouldn't surprise me if the whole mountain went This is NOT a good thing.. I hope that all your loved ones get out soon.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Jerry,
There is definetly some conflicting info going on.. From what I understood, the entire mountain, from big bear all the way to crestline was supposed to be evacuating. As far as the fire, With all the dead trees up there, It wouldn't surprise me if the whole mountain went This is NOT a good thing.. I hope that all your loved ones get out soon.
Scott
I just hung up the phone with Danny, my ex-bro-inlaw who lives in Running Springs. Big Bear is still fine, the fire is (according to Danny) "20 miles from there" but Lake Arrowhead is in trouble. Much of Crestline is gone. Sheriff's deputies have been driving around and advising everyone to pack up and be ready but the Santa Ana winds are holding the fires out of Running Springs at this point so there is no forced evacuation yet at this point. Danny is not optimistic about the fire staying clear of the area but the Santa Ana winds are helping. In fact, they've had nothing but clear blue skies where they are, thanks to the winds keeping the smoke and flames away from the Running Springs area.
Old 10-26-2003, 05:42 PM

There are three fires up here in Ventura County. The Piru (prolly the one that started the rest), the Fire threating Simi Valley/Moorpark and another that seems to have just started in Agoura Hills.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/an...n.1km.vis.html

You can see that's it's not good anywhere south of Santa Barbara right now. It's either flames or smoke for just about everyone.

Hope you guys in SD are doing good.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:05 PM

I just took these pics. These are from my patio looking across the street. This fire is ~1/2 a mile from my house. The only thing between me & this fire is Highway 8 Business (Main Street) and 3 other homes.

No word to us to evacuate yet. But things are sure getting scary quick!

Old 10-26-2003, 06:16 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Is this the same one that was blowing towards Sergey's place?

1/2 mile from you... when do they wait to order the evacs there?!?!?!

How many live in your location?
Old 10-26-2003, 06:19 PM

Joe - those pictures remind of the Laguna Hills fire 10 years ago - we lived in Aliso Viejo at the and the fire got about a mile or so from our house - I left work early that day and got my dog and the photo albums - it looked like that at night.

We need some rain.....I hate this time of year here now (didn't used to be this hot and dry - but Global Warming is a liberal plot)

Jeff
Old 10-26-2003, 06:45 PM

I believe this is different than what's happening by Sergeys house. I think there's ~120 homes in my neighborhood.

As a correction, I was informed that I-8 is between me & the last pics I posted, though you can't tell by looking. There's lots of hills & brush on them, plus homes.

Jeff, this is certainly not good as was your experiance wasn't either.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:05 PM

Joe, I'd urge you to get out of there. If there is anything I can do for you, let me know.. I will be in Solana Beach till tommorow afternoon.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 07:20 PM

I don't know the areas very well, but I hope everyone is safe.

I found this link, with these maps.

I'm putting them here for my "personal use" ( to satisfy the disclaimer).

http://www.incidentcontrol.com

old fire

grand prix fire map is a day old.

http://www.incidentcontrol.com/grandprix/index.html

Old 10-26-2003, 07:38 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Glad to hear everyone seems to be o.k. I had to go to San Bernardino today. Very scary up there. Lots of smoke coming fron the Arrowhead direction as well as some east towards Big Bear. Here's a view from the 210 near the 15 at around 1pm.

smoke

If I can help anyone in anyway please let me know.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Dan-H,

Thanks for those links... Anything like that for the SD fire(s)?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:49 PM

Well, the way its going, its going to be a while till it gets to my house. My house is on the other side of lake arrowhead from where the fire area is.... But from what Im understanding, we may not have a house when this is over.. especially with only 5% containment.
Scott
Old 10-26-2003, 07:52 PM

Thanks Scott! I just found out that one of my coworkers lost his house in Poway. The Red Cross is taking care of him & his family. I offered him to stay here when that dries up if I end up being OK.

We're not quite ready to evacuate just yet. But we're keeping our ears peeled in case we need to.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:58 PM

I just sent Scott Hill a message at his pager. If he replies, I'll forward any response here. I've been wondering all day about you folks in the fire areas. Good luck. Of course, I'm willing to assist if needed.
Jason

Edit.
Just got a reply from Scott. He and the family have evacutated to Riverside with his inlaws.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:54 PM
Arizona Chick

Well, good luck everyone and hopefully tomorrow everyone will be safe and so will your homes (and jobs).
Old 10-26-2003, 09:05 PM

I was called by my Division Officer & he informed me that we need to stay home tomorrow & not come to work. I think most of the Navy Base at 32nd Street (where most of the ships are located), will be like a ghost town. My office is there.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:10 PM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

I feel like an idiot....had no idea this was going on. I hope everyone is safe, and remains that way! Joe....you'd better be a light sleeper if things are that close and you aren't leaving yet.

I'll be watching-hope everything is ok.

Be safe.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:19 PM

I'll certainly sleep light, if at all.

The good news is that the wind isn't blowing the fire towards our home. But I guess that's bad news for others.

This El Cajon fire seems to be lingering at the top of these ridges across the hwy from us & not making it's way this direction. But of coarse I know that can shift rapidly.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:30 PM

Just watched the news - christ - the state is on fire.

I hope everyone in the path is okay - Garry how close is everything to you? I know Blaine talked to you earlier, but the news showed the Simi fire and it looked pretty big.

Jeff
Old 10-27-2003, 05:38 AM
Arizona Chick

I just found this site with information on the SD fires.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/#

Key facts

CEDAR FIRE
Acreage: 115,000
Structures burned: 100 homes in Ramona, 150 in Scripps Ranch, 10 in Tierrasanta, many other structures
Deaths: 9
Injured: 2 firefighters, several civilians
Firefighters on scene: 800+
Aircraft: 2
Containment: None
Start: Oct. 25 between Julian and Ramona
Comments: Extends to Scripps Ranch, Poway, Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, portions of Santee, Lakeside and Blossom Valley, Poway, Ramona, El Cajon, San Carlos and Alpine. Air traffic nationwide was disrupted when this fire forced evacuation of a Federal Aviation Administration control center at Miramar.

PARADISE FIRE
Acreage: 7,352
Structures burned: 57
Deaths: 2
Injured: Civilian and firefighters, numbers unknown
Firefighters: 500+
Start: Oct. 26 in Valley Center near Interstate 15.
Comments: Cause is under investigation.

MINE FIRE
Acreage: 15,000
Deaths: None
Structures burned: None
Firefighters: 300
Start: Sunday, Oct. 26 in South County
Comments: The fire prompted voluntary evacuations of parts of eastern Chula Vista and flames skipped over the border into eastern Tijuana. The cause is under investigation.

PENDLETON FIRE
Acreage: 4,740
Structures burned: None
Deaths: None
Injured: 6
Firefighters: 1,000
Containment: 55%
Start: Oct. 21 on Camp Pendleton
Comments: The fire had caused concern earlier this week, threatening homes in nearby De Luz, but no structural damage resulted. Authorities are downplaying early reports that fire was ignited by live ammunition exercises on the base. The cause is under investigation.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:43 AM

I've yet to hear from Sean Higgins (Higlet) who lives in Simi Valley. I've called and left message with no response.

Joe, should you get hit, please give me a call, there's a room at my house: same for you to Sergey.

One block over from where my wife works, everything burnt down.

It's surreal that this is happening.

And what makes you go "ick" is that the ash raining down, it could be remnants of someone's house.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:19 AM

Unhappy

Does Garry Hall live in Simi too, right?
Old 10-27-2003, 06:54 AM
AA reject

The fire in simi is right at Kuehner rd and los angeles st. and that is in Garys back yard. Hope he is safe. I know he's a couple of blocks away from that intersection. Hope everyone is safe.