Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-14-2004, 12:51 PM

Question Welding Helmet Questions

I have a decent basic Lincoln welding helmet that's served me well for the last couple years. No real complaints about it for what it cost. Just the simple hood and head pad, no nice do-dads.

I'm thinking about getting another one as an upgrade. I saw it in the Harbor Freight flyer that I get at my house once in a while. It's a Chicago Electric adjustable shade auto-darkening helmet. Price seems reasonable @ $49.99, basically 1/2 their normal price. The add mentions it darkens from shade #4 to #9-#13 in 1/20,000 of a second.

So, does this sound like a reasonably good helmet, or should I pass & look at another that may cost more, but will be a better product?

I like the option of not having to play around with the hood while starting the bead.

Also, does anybody know if this helmet has a protective clear lens to help keep the welding lens from getting damaged by debris?
Old 11-14-2004, 03:40 PM

Can't really help about that particular mask, but electric are the bizniz! I have one and being able to weld without worrying about lenses/flipping the visor or mask up and down is great. If you can get electric go for it!
Old 11-14-2004, 05:45 PM

Quote:
but electric are the bizniz!
Agree 100%

I'm a lousy welder, I think the standard flip helmet was enough of a handicap to prevent me from getting interested in welding.

When I bought my Miller 135, I bought the basic Miller "auto-darkening" helmet. It's solar powered (arc not sun) and has replaceable front lenses. I'll check the price for you, well worth whatever it was. I now have a Miller 251 and that same helmet sees alot of use

Re: HF... I only buy HF stuff if its a 1 time use. I'd be sceptical of it.

Matt
Old 11-14-2004, 05:51 PM
AA reject

You only have one pair of eyes...
Old 11-14-2004, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris L
You only have one pair of eyes...
Meaning what?

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
Meaning what?

Allen
I've never tried a Harbor Freight helmet but Michael Elliot had less than complementary things to say about his. Something about waking up the next day with sore eyes and a splitting headache.

I don't know if this is the same one however.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
I've never tried a Harbor Freight helmet but Michael Elliot had less than complementary things to say about his. Something about waking up the next day with sore eyes and a splitting headache.
I can't speak for the quality of HF lenses.

I have a couple of Speedglas automatic lenses, and just the lenses run a couple hundred. They fit into any helmet with a large standard opening. I hate being tied to any one helmet becase only a certain lens will fit, and vice versa.

I've never had a problem, and my helmet sees quite a bit of use.

I wasn't sure if he was implying that auto lenses in general are a bad thing, or just those from HF.

Recently I burned my corneas, we were doing a lot of aluminum on a hot project. Multiple weld arcs in a tight area.....we flashed each other quite a bit. That and there was a lot of stray UV light bouncing around.

It's a lot more than just sore.....very painful in fact.

If your eyes ever bother you after welding, get a new lens. Something is wrong.

My mistake was a lack of safety glasses. I don't normally wear them while welding because it's just another lens to fog up or have sweat drip on. When my helmet was up or off, I had zero UV protection. I now wear my glasses whenever we're working with aluminum.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 11-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Administrator

So far I've played with a small view HF, a large view 300 dollar Jackson, a Speedglas, and two top of the line Millers. All auto darkening with variable intensity, sensitivity, and delay.

Toss the HF right in the trash. I wouldn't use one if they came free in cases of 12 with a 20 dollar apeice rebate.

Not to be too stuck-up, but bring over your HF, try the Jackson, or the Miller and I won't have to tell you to toss it.

There is no better improvement to improving your welding skills than a helmet you can actually see out of.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:57 PM
AA reject

Quote:
Originally posted by Allen
Meaning what?

Allen
I was only refering to the Harbor frieght cheap ass quality stuff.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:10 PM

I run an Optrel autodarkening and have been very pleased with it.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:11 PM

I run an Optrel autodarkening and have been very pleased with it.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the info!

Seems the concensus is to steer shy of HF distributed items such as this. I appreciate the feedback!

If I could borrow one of Chris Overackers mention of things I've heard him say; "Open up the wallet/checkbook and do it right!!" Or something along those lines.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:59 PM

I was tempted to buy one of those HFT helmets on sale for $49 too, I'm glad I saw this thread first!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:22 AM

Quote:
When I bought my Miller 135, I bought the basic Miller "auto-darkening" helmet. It's solar powered (arc not sun) and has replaceable front lenses. I'll check the price for you, well worth whatever it was. I now have a Miller 251 and that same helmet sees alot of use
Its a Miller XLi $219 retail, paid $199 at WestAir gas. I didnt shop around so I'd bet it could be found cheeper.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...lmets/xli.html

MP
Old 11-15-2004, 02:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
joe, you definitely need one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

i use a flipdown, and it doesn't bother me a bit, except the odd occasion when i was working on my roll cage and sort of hanging upside down from a hoop and trying to get into a crack...that kinda stunk. Arc brand helmets look nice, a vendor had a killer sale on them on p4x4 awhile back and i should have jumped on it, but was being tight with my money...probably ended up spending it on goggles or cigarettes or something foolish there were some good comments about the brand though. i think they run around $300 now after the introductory sale.