Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Reggae

Kmart is buying Sears

My condolences.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:18 PM

Exactly, whodathunk. This is kinda like Kia buying GM. What's almost surprising is K-Mart is now making money again while Sears is in the dumps.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:19 PM

Does that mean they'll have Blue Light Specials on Craftsman tools?

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 11-17-2004, 01:34 PM

No way, it is a great acquisition. KMart is still shaking off the image of Rain Man, Martha Stewart, and bankruptcy, but that is why it is an interesting deal.

Eddie Lampert bought a majority share in KMart when it went down and is turning it into an invesment and aquisition vehicle like Berkshire Hathaway. Berkshire was once a downtrodden textile maker. Lampert did the same thing, bought up a beat up company with lots of assets, turned it around quick, got about 3Bil. in cash and is now going shopping.

Its just a real estate deal to get stores and more assets. Theyre definitely going to take on Walmart. Great for the US consumer we will all save money.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:36 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Bernotas
Great for the US consumer we will all save money.
Yes, but where are we going to buy tools? From SnapOn, paying $700 per wrench?
Old 11-17-2004, 01:38 PM

No, you will still buy them from Sears, Craftsman is not going away,

besides, you will still learn the same lesson, when your Craftman breaks and they still do not honor the warantee, you will still go buy the Snap-On.

See, nothings changed
Old 11-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Reggae

Those who buy their tools at Kmart are forever prohibited from ridiculing me for buying my tools at Seven-Eleven and Harbor Freight.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:58 PM

You own tools Sergey

Speaking of Craftsman - anybody watch John Ratzenbergers' show on Discovery called "Made in America"? They did a tour of the Craftsman foundry and manufacturing plant last night which was pretty damn interesting. I'm not sure what Sears' ownership stake is in Craftsman but there is more there than meets the eye. It is I assume, a fairly valuable asset in of itself which makes me wonder where that comes into play on the aquisition.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
You own tools Sergey

No, but my dad is a TV-repairman, he's got a bitching set!

Old 11-17-2004, 02:22 PM

Bahahaha - one of my favorite movies.

"Hey Bud, whats your problem"
Old 11-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Yes, but where are we going to buy tools? From SnapOn, paying $700 per wrench?
Harbor Freight for me for all air and non-power tools, ever since I figured out I can get free replacement on all non-power tools- not something they advertise.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:37 AM

Harbor frieght tools are like buying lifetime replacement starters and the like from the parts chains. Sure you get a free replacement but you also don't get any duribility IMO. I'll agree on air tools like die grinders that for 9 bucks you can simply toss them and they will usually last more than the job you are working on at th emoment. On the major stuff though, its simply not worth it. I replaced my ball joint service kit twice. The 3rd time, I tossed it. My 3 ton jack isn't fairing much better.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
My 3 ton jack isn't fairing much better.
My HF 3-ton jack is leaking where the handle connects to the jack.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Who changed my user title?

Send a message via Yahoo to cbassett
Quote:
Harbor frieght tools are like buying lifetime replacement starters and the like from the parts chains. Sure you get a free replacement but you also don't get any duribility IMO. I'll agree on air tools like die grinders that for 9 bucks you can simply toss them and they will usually last more than the job you are working on at th emoment. On the major stuff though, its simply not worth it. I replaced my ball joint service kit twice. The 3rd time, I tossed it. My 3 ton jack isn't fairing much better.

Not exactly the same, as replacing said Chinese parts entail removal, install, and sometimes core return= PITA.
HF replacement= easy and pain free.

Funny, I had written a blurb in my previous post about the POS Crafstman socket wrench I recently broke, but deleted as I didn't care to nit with the Craftsman zealots.
With exception of the gear pullers and screwdrivers, all of my HF non-power tools are holding up just as well as the dwindling inventory of Craftsman (funny how borrowed Craftsman never make it back but the HF always come back ).
Old 11-18-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
My HF 3-ton jack is leaking where the handle connects to the jack.
Yep, same with mine and it won't hold its height.

I just bought a Big Red aluminum jack at Pep Boys last week because I was in there for fuel injection cleaner and they had a good price. The closest HF near me is to far, in the middle of a major traffic mess and frankly, I don't feel like schlepping a broken jack up there.

My Craftsman sockets have served me just fine for what I am doing with them. The Craftsman roll away I have was only marginally more expensive than the one at HF and way better in terms of quality. I also belong to the Craftsman Club so I get 10% off anytime I shop there. HF has its place but for me, its very specific.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:49 PM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Quote:
HF has its place but for me, its very specific.
I agree. HF is best known for low price winches, I don't think I'd trust them for anything else