Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-20-2005, 02:40 PM
dennisuello

front bumstops

I have 4" ProComp coils, RE SF short arms and RE Monotube shocks (10.63 travel in the front). I have 1.5" upper bumpstop extension (with stock yellowish rubber bumpstops) and 2 hockey pucks on the bottom coil pad (temp solution till I figure out what bumpstops to run).

I need about an inch more of bumpstop length.

Since I have short arms, the coils catch on the bumpstop cups, so I shouldn't lengthen the top bumpstops anymore.
Because I have tightly wound ProComp coils it would be a pain to tighten the center bolts if I went with 3" lower bumpstop extensions from RE.

I know Currie makes some bumpstops, but I've never seen them in person. Does anyone have any pictures?

Also, has anyone completely removed the bumpstops from within the coils and fabricated an outside one? What other options do I have?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Reggae

Is the axle well centered? Maybe you need to extend the control arms a bit more...

Currie bump stops are pretty good.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1075
Old 07-20-2005, 02:55 PM

Re: front bumstops

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello

Because I have tightly wound ProComp coils it would be a pain to tighten the center bolts if I went with 3" lower bumpstop extensions from RE.

I have the 4" Procomp springs and the 3" lower RE bumpstops. It's not hard to get that bolt in there. Let the axle droop and you can get a ratchet with a short extension on and bolt it up.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:57 PM
dennisuello

I think I am going to go with Currie bumpstops, as they claim to capture the spring at the top and bottom. But besides blurry picture on Currie's site I haven't seen them mounted. I'll browse Blaine's site, maybe I'll catch a glimpse or two.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:01 PM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Is the axle well centered? Maybe you need to extend the control arms a bit more...
They are as long as I can set them without having interference with pitman arm and tie-rod.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:36 PM

Just curious, why do you need more bumpstop? Coil stack, shock bottoming, or tire interference. And do you need another inch in addition to the 1.5 and two pucks or is it working in it's current configuration.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:17 AM
dennisuello

I'm running 35s on 4" lift and need to keep the tires out of the fenders.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
I'm running 35s on 4" lift and need to keep the tires out of the fenders.
Sounds like it's time for a 1" body lift.

I ran into the same issue and considered dropping the bumpstops, but since the BL is needed for a high clearance skid I went that route instead. With the RE 2" bumpstops on the bottom and the stock bumpstops in the cup, the tire will still rub the underside of the fender at full stuff, but not enough to concern me.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-21-2005, 11:10 AM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by DanB98TJ
Sounds like it's time for a 1" body lift.

I ran into the same issue and considered dropping the bumpstops, but since the BL is needed for a high clearance skid I went that route instead. With the RE 2" bumpstops on the bottom and the stock bumpstops in the cup, the tire will still rub the underside of the fender at full stuff, but not enough to concern me.
I've got it already. Maybe it's just time to hack off the fenders altogether.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:03 PM

You didn't answer the second question but from your post I gather it's tire interference.

Hope this helps, I'm running 35's as well on three inch springs along with a 1" body. I have 2" of bumpstop extensions front and rear. The rear is above the bumpstop and the front is on the bottom spring pad. I get no contact between the tires and the body that's worth noting. Occasionally the rear tires will rub slightly on the inner rear fender plastic skirt. The front has never made contact.

I'm also running an antirock on the second loosest setting.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:26 PM
dennisuello

Quote:
Originally posted by Kampy
You didn't answer the second question but from your post I gather it's tire interference.
Yes, my tires rub and I also wanted to keep the shocks from bottoming out.

Does anyone know how much longer Currie bumpstops are compared to stock set-up?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:16 AM

The Currie kit is a 2" kit although they can easily be added to. I added another 1.5" to my rear set-up by using an aluminum spacer on the top and some extra base plates for the bottom.