Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-21-2006, 07:22 AM

Is there a good cheap header?

I think my leak is getting worse. I have had 2 old style and 2 new style factory headers on there and they have all cracked (had them all replaced under warranty).

Cheapest options are factory style with bellows or Rugged Ridge steel for ~$200 or I can get a Banks for $375. There is always the possibility of trying to get it welded up, but I have zero faith in these. Thanks for any input.

-Bart
Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I would go for the factory style with bellows. FWIW, my dad's Borla cracked on his YJ. My stock '99 manifold cracked as well within 10K miles and the flexible replacement has over 90K miles on it now.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:54 AM

Like I said I have cracked 2 with bellows. Actually, it's possible #3 was another cast one. I forget now. Anyway, I don't have much faith in the bellows. I am leaning towards the Banks at this point.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
You pay for what you get. I like the banks header.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockjeep
You pay for what you get. I like the banks header.
Yep, just had to return some $300 dollar headers for my '65 Mustang in favor of some $700 ones so I could get them to fit right.

Bart, I thought the new style factory headers are different than the earlier ones that also had the bellows. Aren't the ones on the latest model TJ's like two pieces that bolt together or something like that? I thought they looked different. If mistaken, I apologize.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:12 AM

You may be right, Jeff. I am talking about the 2000 model year style. 99 and earlier were cast.

I am thinking I should do the Banks and (hopefully) be done with it. Don't really care about the performance, just want one that will last. I thought the Rugged Ridge might work, but I don't wanna find out the hard way.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:29 AM

The last header Jeep installed in my '97 TJ under warranty has the bellows and it now has over 130,000 miles on it without problem. I think it was a '99 model header they installed IIRC. The first two non-bellows replacement headers they installed all cracked like the original did.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:28 PM

Ordered the Banks. Hopefully this will be the end of my header saga. May go have all my mounts redone to make sure I am not putting some odd stress on it - it's not exactly a bolt on exhaust anymore.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
I have a banks header and a high flo cat sitting here to go in the tj. I'm gong with a quieter muffler.