Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-16-2003, 11:34 PM

Jeepin, Colorado style!

While on vacation, I finally got to meet up again with Boulderbob (Bob Mustard), & lots of other folks like Chris O, DaJudge (Al) & lots of others. Anyway, thought I'd share a few pics from a trail run we did up by Leadville, CO. The scenery was fantastic!!

Old 07-17-2003, 03:45 AM
The king of shotgun debate

Great pictures Joe. Thanks for posting them.

I beleive Colorado is one of the prettiest places on earth. (Short of entucky that is!)

Enjoy your vacation, and post some more if you have them.

Frank
Old 07-17-2003, 06:41 AM

Great pics Joe!

Thanks for posting. When we hiked up to the mill, I'd left my camera in the Jeep, so I'm gonna copy/paste them onto my HD.

Great day of Jeepin'. Thanks for the invite!
Old 07-17-2003, 07:38 AM

Nice pictures Joe. Looks like beautiful country. By the looks of the white stuff there, Summer must not hit that part 'till what, September? Thanks for sharing.
Jason
Old 07-17-2003, 07:42 AM

Smile

nice pix
CO is where my TJ grew up
Old 07-17-2003, 07:45 AM
dennisuello

Nice pics, Joe. You surely get around. When is the trip up to Reno, huh? Rubicon is close by, I hear.

The white stuff stays for a long time at higher altitudes. Here in Reno, we still have some snow left of the top of the mountains above 7000ft and in the shade, while on the valley floor (4500ft) it's up to a 100 degrees every day.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:27 AM

So where are they from? My best guess is Mosquito Pass, but that doesn't look right, and I think it is still snowed over right now.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TJeeper
So where are they from? My best guess is Mosquito Pass, but that doesn't look right, and I think it is still snowed over right now.

South Half Moon Creek, which is east of Twin Lakes. To get to the trail head, you start from the Leadville side of the range and head southwest about 2 miles.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the compliments. I'm not sure what the trail is called, I tend to get them mixed-up after a while. I'll post a few more pics a bit later.

As we poked around the mill area, we found some items dating back to the early 1900's & a reciept of sorts which had the mill active in the mid 80's.

Chris, I'll post links to the remainder of the pics (there's lots of them), so you can weed through the ones you like. There's one that makes Monique look like she was dancing.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:00 PM

Here's a couple more pics from the same trail area.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:34 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Looks nice, Joe. One of these days, I have to get up that direction and take in the sites. My father-in-law lives in CO but isn't into 4WD stuff. I hope Al and Carol had a good time. Those trails look more to the liking of the Rubicon....he shoveled a lot of earth and rocks with it in Moab this spring. (damn belly pan!)
Old 07-17-2003, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
I hope Al and Carol had a good time.
Al & Carol were having a REALLY good time! They had been around the Twin Lakes/Leadville area for over a week & ran Holy Cross the week prior with a group. We ran this trail on the 5th of July.

Bob Mustard & I ran another trail on the 4th. The 4th was certainly a busy day with a morning Frisco, CO parade, early afternoon trail run, B-B-Que ribeye's & then fireworks!

Here's a couple taken from Moab a few days prior.

Poison Spider:

Hey Joe Canyon:

Cliff Hanger:

Moab Rim:
Old 07-17-2003, 10:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to RipCurl
I was out wheelin 2 years ago through Breckenridge, Leadville, Alma, that whole area. Wheeler Lake is a good one, and close to Breck. Antero takes you all the way to the TOP of a 14er with incredible scenery. There's one more trail that starts at the base of Mt. Antero (can't remember the name) that is supposed to be really good, but we weren't locked so we stayed off of it. Good times.

Mosquito Pass

Wheeler Lake

"There is only one true American sports car... the Jeep."
Enzo Ferrari
Old 07-17-2003, 10:34 PM

Oh man Joe those are great pics... you're really on a great trip, wish I were there too. Enjoy, thanks for posting them. I'll have to show them to a friend of mine who used to live and Jeep in Colorado and really misses that beautiful country.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:11 PM

Nice Mike! Our first night in Leadville we stayed at the Sugar Loafin' Campground. It's ~3 miles from the southern end of Leadville down a country road. We spent the previous night in Gleenwood Springs (campground was called Ami's or something like that) & close to where the big hot springs resort area is at.

Jerry, I actually arrived back home Tuesday after nearly 4 strait weeks of trail rides.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dillard Jerry, I actually arrived back home Tuesday after nearly 4 strait weeks of trail rides.
Welcome back. Once you catch your breath, how about we go exploring some of the auto junkyards down your way in a few weeks. You probably know the good ones to look through for ZJ disk brakes!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Welcome back. Once you catch your breath, how about we go exploring some of the auto junkyards down your way in a few weeks. You probably know the good ones to look through for ZJ disk brakes!
Yep, it's gunna be a couple weeks before I get a chance to goof off again. I fly to Tokyo, Japan next Friday & will be gone for ~2wks. doing work related stuff with some R&R in the mix. I should be back by August 9th. Gotta go visit a couple "friends" while I'm there too.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Nice!