Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-16-2004, 02:28 PM

Funny

I just got his e-mail - funny stuff

I just heard on the radio that the east is experiencing the coldest
weather in over fifty years. Tonight they expect -25deg F. in the New York
area.

Meanwhile, Al Gore is scheduled to give a speech on global warming
tonight in Manhattan, NY.
Old 01-16-2004, 02:40 PM

HEY,,, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT ??????

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 01-16-2004, 02:41 PM

Talking

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 01-16-2004, 03:27 PM
The king of shotgun debate

And this is a surprise?

Timing Al, Timing! Now Go Away!

Frank
Old 01-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Tell me about it, I'm freezing my ass off, and it was in the negative 30's last night and they are calling for the same tonight, and maybe a little worse.

And I picked up a squad shift starting at 10pm... I'm going to freeze my ass off if we get a call.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 01-16-2004, 08:18 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
Yeah tell me about it... I had to wear a long sleve shirt to work today... J/K folks, weather that cold just plain hurts. Hope it warms up for you soon.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:37 AM

-50+ wind chills up here. lots of schools closed b/c of it. first time schools were closed for cold that anyone i know can remember.

20's this weekend, we're going to the beach.
Old 01-17-2004, 07:03 AM

I like winter.....

Welding in a t-shirt.....

Ahhhhh.....perfect.

Much better than sweat streaming down your back/crack.

TMI?

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:02 PM

Definitely TMI!!!! and hopefully Al Gore will get lost in a snow drift to never be seen or heard from again.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:29 PM

Re: Funny

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
I just got his e-mail - funny stuff

I just heard on the radio that the east is experiencing the coldest
weather in over fifty years. Tonight they expect -25deg F. in the New York
area.

Meanwhile, Al Gore is scheduled to give a speech on global warming
tonight in Manhattan, NY.
do you think it will warm the people to attend
Old 01-19-2004, 03:13 PM

To be fair, global warming is usually measured in average global temps. year by year.

I don't really see the humor. I'm not sure how some cold temperatures, that occur for a short period of time in a very small area of the globe, deserve much context in a discussion about global warming. The data is too small.

That the average surface temperature of the globe has warmed faster in the latter half of the 20th century than the former half is a documented, undeniable fact.

Why it is happening, is a question best left to science, but also happens to be the point where the most political posturing occurs.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I think Robert meant it was funny in an ironic sort of way, not disputing global warming based on a cold spell.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Bernotas
To be fair, global warming is usually measured in average global temps. year by year.

I don't really see the humor. I'm not sure how some cold temperatures, that occur for a short period of time in a very small area of the globe, deserve much context in a discussion about global warming. The data is too small.

That the average surface temperature of the globe has warmed faster in the latter half of the 20th century than the former half is a documented, undeniable fact.

Why it is happening, is a question best left to science, but also happens to be the point where the most political posturing occurs.

Hmmmm,
I sure thought the sarcasm in my post was fairly obvious. It was just some political satire Rick.

Now that being said, I do not believe that the global warming issue will be solved by either science or politics. So what if the earth is warming up? The fact that we have had a documented ice age previously says to me that there is an equal chance of it happening again. The earth will do what it wants either with us or without us. Frankly, all it will take is for the Yellowstone caldera, which is classified as q supwer volcano, to blow and the entire discussion on global warming will become a moot point.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:

I find this interesting because when I was growing up they were talking about global cooling due to all the car and factory emmisions. It's the same side of the fence promaoting there crap. Yes pollotion does play a fator but it is a way of life. We can due all we can the protect the envoroment and we should. But it doesn't stop the earth from going through it's cycles yes there was an ice age and there is also warming taking place now but for politicians to be spreading crap is just that. God is in control of the earth and that is the bottom line.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:48 AM

Al Gore should pound sand, so what, God is in control, the earth will do what it wants, an ELE will wipe us out anyways.

Not being a big fan of predestination, this is the kind of abject cynicism about the future I just don't understand. I suppose I'll just agree to disagree and learn to lighten up.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:07 PM

Question for discussion Rick - why is not worrying about the things of which you have no control over, cynicism? Why could it not be faith?

Lets take gklobal warming for example. Say that by some sheer coincidence, scientists from all over the globe were absolutely able to pinpoint the cause of global warming. How would you get everyone on the planet to 1. agree on the scientific conclusions and 2., how would you get every government on earth to pass a law that prevented/mitigated it?

I will admit that I am not a "big thinker" when it comes to these things but frankly, it seems to me that we, as in the collective, have much more pressing issues to deal with that are probably easier to solve or at least get some consensus on - food being one that I can think of right off the bat.

BTW I'm not arguing with this, or trying to change you rmind or opinion - just discussing
Old 01-20-2004, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Question for discussion Rick - why is not worrying about the things of which you have no control over, cynicism? Why could it not be faith?
I labeled it cynicism only because I see it as a solvable problem that I feel I have some control over. But I do see your point. It seems fatalistic and cynical to me because of the core difference of opinion that I feel it is controllable and you necessarily do not.

Quote:

Lets take gklobal warming for example. Say that by some sheer coincidence, scientists from all over the globe were absolutely able to pinpoint the cause of global warming. How would you get everyone on the planet to 1. agree on the scientific conclusions and 2., how would you get every government on earth to pass a law that prevented/mitigated it?
The Kyoto Protocol is making steady progress towards exactly what you are talking about.

Quote:

I will admit that I am not a "big thinker" when it comes to these things but frankly, it seems to me that we, as in the collective, have much more pressing issues to deal with that are probably easier to solve or at least get some consensus on - food being one that I can think of right off the bat.
I also agree, that there is plenty of low-hanging fruit to pick.
I don't know what else to say to that end, except that you either feel it is an efficient use of resources to attempt to solve the problem in the long term, or you do not.

Quote:

BTW I'm not arguing with this, or trying to change you rmind or opinion - just discussing
I concur. My argument mainly stems from the fact that in the past ten or so years, this issue has become a political buzzword to be bandied about, and is used to polarize folks. Rarely does anyone sit down anymore and have a discussion about what the actual issues are, and how they actually relate to you, and you end up being labeled either a tree-huggin' liberal or a capitalist pig.

To me, this is one of those things that is not so black and white. If we are really going to adhere to a tread lightly philosophy as jeepers, curbing greenhouse emissions is something that we can all at least agree is something that is a good thing, even if we disagree on the urgency or difficulty of solving the issue. Emissions have impact on our environment in the most agreeable sense of atmospheric pollution, and spewing exhaust is not really an integral part of enjoying the outdoors and the trails (assuming there is a future technical solution to curbing our emissions). Even if we have little impact, even long term, on moving towards 0 emissions offroad vehicles, at least we maintain a consistent philosophy. I think there is some hope in that.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:56 PM

Quote:
If we are really going to adhere to a tread lightly philosophy as jeepers, curbing greenhouse emissions is something that we can all at least agree is something that is a good thing, even if we disagree on the urgency or difficulty of solving the issue. Emissions have impact on our environment in the most agreeable sense of atmospheric pollution, and spewing exhaust is not really an integral part of enjoying the outdoors and the trails (assuming there is a future technical solution to curbing our emissions). Even if we have little impact, even long term, on moving towards 0 emissions offroad vehicles, at least we maintain a consistent philosophy. I think there is some hope in that.
Being a denizen of So. California, I am well aware at how a reduction in emissions can affect quality of life issues, whether on the freeways or the trails. In the 15+ years since I moved here, there has been a noticable improvement in the air quality - but its still bad given the latest reports.

I do not necessarily disagree with your philosophy of tread lightly and low/zero emissions but I am not as optimistic as yourself in that it can be accomplished, or at least accomplished with out pain to the very folks who are espousing action for it. For that I blame our government and its priorities. Simply put, this country has no long term energy policy, or at least one that I would call forward thinking in terms of a national strategy on energy sources for vehicles, business or individual households. Only once this country visits that policy and takes a proactive step, can we have a larger discussion on emissions and any impacts on global warming.

That thought doesn't make me provincial, just a harsh critic You would think this country would be a leader in this debate.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
For that I blame our government and its priorities. Simply put, this country has no long term energy policy, or at least one that I would call forward thinking in terms of a national strategy on energy sources for vehicles, business or individual households. Only once this country visits that policy and takes a proactive step, can we have a larger discussion on emissions and any impacts on global warming.
The energy sources issue really gets me going sometimes. Our goverment will give you a rebate if you buy a hybred car. That IMO is crazy what are we supporting here. A car that still runs on gas. They should be exploring some other type fuel souce besides one that is drying up in the middle east and polluting the world. But that is are tax dollars at work.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:45 AM

I have seen many sides of the global warming debate, strictly from science/political shows, but one show stood out high above the others because it had scientific and historical data that made so much sense I have to believe it.
The conclusion of these scientist is that global warming is being caused by ........................................Clouds. Yes, clouds or the lack of them. Clouds block the cosmic rays that warm the earth. The data they presented and the correlation to the earths temperature just made too much sense. Could it be that a political ajenda is ignoring a natural phenominon?
Old 01-21-2004, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JLemieux
The conclusion of these scientist is that global warming is being caused by ........................................Clouds. Yes, clouds or the lack of them. Clouds block the cosmic rays that warm the earth. The data they presented and the correlation to the earths temperature just made too much sense. Could it be that a political ajenda is ignoring a natural phenominon?
I can see it - the next big Presidential Plan - THE CLOUD MACHINE. Of course, it goes without saying that any CLOUD MACHINE would still have to launch nuclear missles, and fire anti-missle lasers from space for it to be approved...

Reminds me of Dr. Strangelove and the Doomsday Machine "Mr. President, we cannot afford a mineshaft gap!"

Jeff
Old 01-21-2004, 09:30 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science....ap/index.html
Old 01-21-2004, 10:33 AM

State of the Union

In listening tothe oratory last night - one thing stood out.

"America does not need a permission slip"

Yep, that will about solve things.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:06 AM

Quote:

I don't really see the humor.

Bwahhahah!! I see the humor in it.

Where I fail to see the humor is in all the shares of Oxidental Petroleum the Gores' own.

No question; the planet is heating up from the last Ice Age (aproximately 10,000 years ago) and will continue to heat up until the next ice age; when will it be? You're guess is a s good as mine.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 02_WHITE_TJ_X
The energy sources issue really gets me going sometimes. Our goverment will give you a rebate if you buy a hybred car. That IMO is crazy what are we supporting here. A car that still runs on gas. They should be exploring some other type fuel souce besides one that is drying up in the middle east and polluting the world. But that is are tax dollars at work.
Hybred cars recover energy during deceleration that goes back into the systems battery.............................
Old 01-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Cement_guy
Hybred cars recover energy during deceleration that goes back into the systems battery.............................

But most of the charge is coming from that gas engine. Why do we want to use gas when the earths oil supply will run out at sometime remember Texas it will happen in the middle east also. But I quess an average person living in the US can't think to the future we wouldn't want to plan and get energy from the resouces we have here in the US like corn. BTW after they take the fuel out of corn it is better feed for cows.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned

Re: State of the Union

Quote:

It would be much better if we listen to 3rd world countries they really know how to do stuff much better then we do Oh thats right there is always France there unemployment rate is so much better.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:38 AM

Quote:
But most of the charge is coming from that gas engine. Why do we want to use gas when the earths oil supply will run out at sometime
My buddy gets about 49 MPG in his Toyota Prius, not a bad start, huh? And that is freeway driving; hybrids get better fuel economy with city driving, which is proof positive that the energy recovery from deceleration is really worth while. GM is prototyping full size trucks to be hybrids.

Not using oil because we will run out makes as much sense as not drinking my last beer in the fridge, doncha think?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:41 AM

Re: State of the Union

Quote:

Agreed.

There was a time and place for creeping protectionism in U.S. foreign policy, but certainly not now.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:42 AM

Re: Re: State of the Union

Quote:
It would be much better if we listen to 3rd world countries they really know how to do stuff much better then we do Oh thats right there is always France there unemployment rate is so much better.

you missed my point............as usual