Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-29-2004, 11:58 PM

Sony Laptop with two partitions from factory, can I make them one?

I have a sony laptop which came from the factory with a partitioned hard drive. It is forty gigs in size but is partitioned into two 20 gig parts. Is there anyway I can put these two partitions back together without doing some low level format? I have a copy of partition magic 8. Can I use that to assemble the two partitions back together? Or am I stuck formating it?

Chad
Old 04-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Reggae

Partition Magic should do it no problem. Backup the sensitive data before you do anything.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:46 AM
Banned for being bad

Don't ever do a low level format.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Don't ever do a low level format.

why??

I always LLF when ever I add a new drive it prevents a lot of problems by marking bad blocks and making sure the contoller card gets what it wants.

at least you dont have to do the old dos stuff of debug G=fg500 or what ever it was to get to the contoller like you did with the MFM drives.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:46 AM

If I was going to make it into one partition I would start from a fresh install. The problem is that the Sony disc will not instll the software unless it has the same size partition that came from the factory.
I just installed what I wanted from my own CDS and used the sony drivers listed on their web site.
Bob
Old 04-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Banned for being bad

It's vary hard on the drive and never recommended unless you have no other opition. Hell Scott your drives must be OLD,
NEVER low level format a new hard drive, the new drives do their own mantenence on bad sectors.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 04-30-2004, 12:41 PM

EIDE drives I would agree do not need to be done but I run SCSI drives and it is still something I do and have no problems.

Scott
Old 04-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hill
EIDE drives I would agree do not need to be done but I run SCSI drives and it is still something I do and have no problems.

Scott
Agree, but he does not run SCSI and has no reason to run low level.

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!