Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by DsrtJeeper
I run 37's on my 30/44 combo with great success. I finally broke the long side inner on my 30 a month ago.
It probably matters very little, but for what it is worth, the long inner shaft is on the passenger side of the vheicle (if you drive in the US). That was NOT the shaft we replaced in your D30.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
If I'm not mistaken, you are running chromo axles right? I didn't see in the article where that Jeep was running any of that. Maybe oogling on that chick in the bikini farther along in the mag caused me to skip over that point though
Hehe......I caught that pic too! Yeeeeeeha!

Yes; i'm running chromo shafts and plain old 760 joints. The shaft broke and the $20.00 u-joint was left in tact. Like many things in this sport; one needs to sort out the hype and BS.

As I stated in my post about that TJ in JP; "that Jeep is headed in the right direction." I didn't say it was perfect.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
How many rockcrawlers run 50-1? Most of us with autos and according to recent conversations with Mr. Currie and him setting up his personal rig, it's pretty much the preferred ratio.

If that comment was for my benefit, that dog won't hunt.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
It probably matters very little, but for what it is worth, the long inner shaft is on the passenger side of the vheicle (if you drive in the US). That was NOT the shaft we replaced in your D30.
I plead the fifth!!! I swear it was the heat! You have me thinking now Stu. The new shaft I just received looked like a long one. I better go check.

I'll be damned!!!!!! They sent me the long side!!! UGH!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
If that comment was for my benefit, that dog won't hunt.
Why not? That's the exact conversation I had with him concerning autos, axle gear ratios and t-case ratios.

That's what I'm shooting for. I don't see the need to cripple your rig by gearing it too low and not being able to cruise up the occasional sand dune.

At this point, the absolute lowest I would go in the t-case is 3.8 and that's only because I can't get lower than 4:88's in the front diff.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Non-crippling method
Old 06-22-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John
Non-crippling method
That's pretty slick! I wonder what the cost is and how a 1" longer drivetrain will effect me? Especially if I want a fairly flat skid with low pinion diffs.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Stu;
Thank you very much for catching that. I called Superior and they admitted fault and are sending me the short side.

For those who aren't aware of it; I suffer from terrible memory loss and often struggle with putting thoughts to words. This is due to an ugly street bike accident in which a young kid decided to turn left infront of me. Yes; I was wearing a top rated helmet. So, if you spot a mistake or misunderstand my posts; please correct me. I'm used to it!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:33 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Why not? That's the exact conversation I had with him concerning autos, axle gear ratios and t-case ratios.

That's what I'm shooting for. I don't see the need to cripple your rig by gearing it too low and not being able to cruise up the occasional sand dune.
No doubt that was the exact conversation you were having with John, but that was not the the one I started with Eric. My 50:1 comment to him specifically included manual tranny in it.

"IMO, few drivers can succesfully navigate the trails you are doing with a 50:1 gear ratio and a standard tranny. "

And I fully agree that there is no need to deep gear the t-case if there are alterantives that can be done within the budget and skill set of the owner.

I am a proponent of having an auto tranny. If you want to convince me that auto's rule, you are preaching to the choir. But I know you already knew that (or you should have!).
Old 06-22-2005, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John
I'll see what I think of my 2.46 gears for a year or 2. If I need to go lower then it's a Tera 3.15 gear set. That would take me from 34:1 all the way down to 44:1
I'm at 50:1 with my auto and so far I like it. I wouldn't however, want anymore and if I had a few spare bucks laying aorund, I would like to have that Stak 3 speed case for dune/desert running.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:01 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Stu;
Thank you very much for catching that. I called Superior and they admitted fault and are sending me the short side.
I thought it was just a slip of the fingers on the keyboard. I didn't know that you had received the replacement shaft, let alone the wrong side. I think you had told me, at the birthday party, that you were waiting for the replacement to arrive....the was the last update I was aware of.

Do you have to send the long side back? I could cut it down for you with a plasma cutter if you can figure out the splines.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:53 PM

I know of one company work on a new lift that has you cut notches in your frame to locate the upper arm partially into the frame. The design is excellent from what little I saw - really adding additional clearance with mid/long arm type performance. I know the lift isn't out yet - I'll see if they have any details on it.

PS - I had the auto swap done - trade someone your stick and stick computer for their auto and auto computer - you'll probably have to kick in a couple hundred as well. They only missing piece is the auto radiator if you want to use the OEM trans cooler - I just added an aftermarket trans cooler and left the stick radiator.

Jeff
Old 06-22-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I thought it was just a slip of the fingers on the keyboard. I didn't know that you had received the replacement shaft, let alone the wrong side. I think you had told me, at the birthday party, that you were waiting for the replacement to arrive....the was the last update I was aware of.

Do you have to send the long side back? I could cut it down for you with a plasma cutter if you can figure out the splines.
lol! Superior is sending a return tag for the long side and the new short side was sent out today. They really have been great to deal with.

One point of interest.... Superior has been advising the use of Spicer 760 joints with their shafts. They told me they have only had two shafts returned where the 760 joint failed. I know i've been impressed with mine. Why should a guy spend more for the other brands?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
I know of one company work on a new lift that has you cut notches in your frame to locate the upper arm partially into the frame. The design is excellent from what little I saw - really adding additional clearance with mid/long arm type performance. I know the lift isn't out yet - I'll see if they have any details on it.

PS - I had the auto swap done - trade someone your stick and stick computer for their auto and auto computer - you'll probably have to kick in a couple hundred as well. They only missing piece is the auto radiator if you want to use the OEM trans cooler - I just added an aftermarket trans cooler and left the stick radiator.

Jeff
Jeff;
I'd be greatful if you could find out any more on this new lift.

The auto swap is sounding cheaper than an Atlas. Am I wrong? I'm just wondering if it's as simple as plugging in the new computer or if I need to dig into the stock harness.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:57 PM

Quote:
The auto swap is sounding cheaper than an Atlas. Am I wrong? I'm just wondering if it's as simple as plugging in the new computer or if I need to dig into the stock harness.
Ask Brian just how much cheaper...

It is as simple as plugging in the new computer. I would make sure you get EVERYTHING from the auto Jeep though - the brake pedal, the kickdown cable, transfer case/tranny mount, the bezel/shift mount and the plastic indicator bezel thingymabob, bolts, nuts, etc.

I traded everything from my stick for everything from the auto +$200 a couple years ago. Even if you have your auto rebuilt, like I did, you are still way less then the Atlas with much less hassle.

You will learn the power of the dark side....

Jeff
Old 06-22-2005, 09:05 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
the atlas was $2300(5:1) . Erik and I installed it in a weekend. I sold my 231 for $350 I think, so let's make it $1950.

I have no idea what an auto trans and computer will cost if you can't find someone to trade for your manual. I have no idea what labor would be if you can't install it yourself. I have no idea how much it will cost to upgrade your brakes if needed. Trans coolers are cheap, that I do know.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't know how much cheaper it would be.

I like my jeep the way it is. (mostly)
Old 06-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by blkTJ
the atlas was $2300(5:1) . Erik and I installed it in a weekend. I sold my 231 for $350 I think, so let's make it $1950.
How 'bout the driveshaft$?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
How 'bout the driveshaft$?
sorry, yup, it was about $200 total to have the front shortened, rear lengthend and both balanced.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:25 PM

Who in there right mind would trade a standard for an auto?

Which auto should I look for? I know there was many changes to '03 TJ's and newer and I wonder if i'd need a newer computer?

Oh sure....With an auto i'll probably need a hydroboost. ACK!

I better start playing the lottery.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Which auto should I look for? I know there was many changes to '03 TJ's and newer and I wonder if i'd need a newer computer?

get a 4:1, enjoy.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:47 PM

Quote:
get a 4:1, enjoy.
It certainly is sounding a bit cheaper and I can install it myself. I personally don't mind the 5-speed. I grew up driving and racing with standards.

One thing i've noticed repeatedly is how autos react when against a steep, vertical ledge. They sit there trying to rev and not moving until the throttle is about pinned and then the Jeep lunges forward. It's almost as if the tranny has a stall converter. In most cases; I find the autos very sweet.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:03 PM

Quote:
It certainly is sounding a bit cheaper and I can install it myself. I personally don't mind the 5-speed. I grew up driving and racing with standards.

One thing i've noticed repeatedly is how autos react when against a steep, vertical ledge. They sit there trying to rev and not moving until the throttle is about pinned and then the Jeep lunges forward. It's almost as if the tranny has a stall converter. In most cases; I find the autos very sweet.
to tell you the truth.... I've watched the autos and how they work. They've definately got a cushion for the drivetrain (torque converter) less hopping, less stress on the drivetrain. I just don't think I would have as much fun driving one. I enjoy driving my manual, yup it's not about ease, I enjoy it. yes maybe I've spent more $ than I would have if I would have done the auto swap. maybe my girlfriend can't drive it (imagination). I can tell you this... I doubt anyone I've wheeled with would restrict me from a hardcore trail based on my transmission.

you must do what you feel is right of course.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Quote:
to tell you the truth.... I've watched the autos and how they work. They've definately got a cushion for the drivetrain (torque converter) less hopping, less stress on the drivetrain. I just don't think I would have as much fun driving one. I enjoy driving my manual, yup it's not about ease, I enjoy it. yes maybe I've spent more $ than I would have if I would have done the auto swap. maybe my girlfriend can't drive it (imagination). I can tell you this... I doubt anyone I've wheeled with would restrict me from a hardcore trail based on my transmission.

you must do what you feel is right of course.
Brian, you've wheeled with me many times. As far as pure fun goes, when have you seen me ever not enjoy the wheeling aspect of any trail we've shared?

No, I don't foresee you being restricted from any trail, but would you take out the atlas, slap on 37's, and wheel anywhere in JV?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:30 PM

Blaine;
You sure do a great job of hiding pics of all your mods. I've been looking at pics on www.justaddrocks.com for an hour with little help. (Darn dialup!)

Where can I check out some pics of your mods? Also; i'll give you a jingle tomarrow. Thanks.

Eric
Old 06-22-2005, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Brian, you've wheeled with me many times. As far as pure fun goes, when have you seen me ever not enjoy the wheeling aspect of any trail we've shared?
never Blaine. period.

I'm not saying the folks that drive autos on the rocks don't have fun. on the contrary, it's quite possible that they enjoy a higher level of satisfaction than I do. Not sure, it's just something else.

for me... I enjoy what I drive. I really do.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine No, I don't foresee you being restricted from any trail, but would you take out the atlas, slap on 37's, and wheel anywhere in JV?
nope, never. infact I don't see myself running 37s on these axles anyway.

this, in the end, isn't a debate over which is better, it's a debate over which you preffer.

I, and a few friends of mine, enjoy manuals. I'll step out on a limb and say we know how to drive them. I'll jump to another limb and say our good friends that drive autos will allow us to tag along. that's all we ask.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:41 PM

Quote:

Where can I check out some pics of your mods?
don't do it. you'll just hate yourself in the morning.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
wait... he's running 37's on my axle setup??? forget it... dynatrac 44s can't even handle 35s.
Forget your overpriced abs compatible boat anchor for a minute and focus a bit here.

He is running 37's, he has no t-case gearing, max of 4:88's and at or nearly JV difficulty trails. And everyone is telling him to finesse it more!
Old 06-23-2005, 12:26 AM

eric, you know what... I totally missed the fact that your trying to do all this on 37s. that's a whole differant ball game. all my advice is based on 35s, forget it. good luck.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:16 AM

Quote:

I opted for a 3 speed auto out of a '00 TJ. Primary reason: no computer issues to deal with. I pulled the stick, stuck the auto in and lengthen the rear driveshaft. Also raised the belly skid some while I was at it.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
I've seen that time and time again......and when I question the driver, I find that he/she doesn't have the slightest clue about using both feet to drive an auto.

Don't blame the hardware because the driver is clueless.