Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-04-2005, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
BTW, speaking of corners, I got my custom corners from Dan Duffy at Off Your Rocker, have them almost fit and have yet to hear back from The Special Order Lady at TBT either by phone or my email address she requested.
Exactly why I drive over there for everything. I feel your frustration.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 07-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DsrtJeeper
Exactly why I drive over there for everything. I feel your frustration.
Oh, no worries there. I'm not the slightest bit frustrated. It's their loss, not mine.

Currently there are 5 TJs sitting in my driveway. Granted I'm officially over my limit, but the market on this end still exists. What do you figure the chances of me trying to start a relationship are at this point?

The new jeep needs corner guards as well, I'll be giving Dan Duffy a call first thing in the AM and get another set on the way. They'll be custom also. It also needs a set of rock rails with a tube step, some lightweight bumpers, and a some other miscellaneous stuff. I do know two things for certain, I don't have time to build the stuff myself and where I won't be doing business.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:09 PM

Yes. Total bill was $5K I think. They paid it, I paid my deductable.

Jeff
Old 07-04-2005, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Yes. Total bill was $5K I think. They paid it, I paid my deductable.

Jeff
Jeff;
I may have missed something, but what happened to your rig?
Old 07-04-2005, 11:52 PM

Probably the usual.

Rock vs jeep.

Rock won.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:44 AM

It's a damn shame when small business' forget how they started shop-usually word of mouth's of customers. They grow, get busier, and then oops-I forget to take care of my customers.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:48 AM

Eric - can you post some of the pix. I am blocked out from the filter here at work on the T-3. Thanx.

As for the cage - I have the OR fab with the floor kit, dash bar and a Rockhard rear bar. Do I think it will hold up without any triangulation - no. I do think it provides me with a measure of safety above the stock cage but in reality, it was simply a starting point for me until I got more time to add to it.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Eric - can you post some of the pix. I am blocked out from the filter here at work on the T-3. Thanx.

As for the cage - I have the OR fab with the floor kit, dash bar and a Rockhard rear bar. Do I think it will hold up without any triangulation - no. I do think it provides me with a measure of safety above the stock cage but in reality, it was simply a starting point for me until I got more time to add to it.
Robert;
The pics are posted on JU and Jeepaholics. Can you get into either one of those? The title is something like "Tube Door Crash Test." Let me know.

The floor mounting kit would not have helped much in this situation.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Robert;
The pics are posted on JU and Jeepaholics. Can you get into either one of those? The title is something like "Tube Door Crash Test." Let me know.

The floor mounting kit would not have helped much in this situation.
Thanx, I'll look on JU.

I'm also not saying the floor mounting kit would or would not have helped. I was simply relating my thoughts on what I have for a kit and what I expect it to do. Frankly, triangulation is the key IMO and why none of these kits provide any is a mystery to me. I plan on adding a diagnol to mine over the front seats at some point - just need to get around to it in addition to the other crap on my list.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Reggae

Triangulation is the process of finding a distance to a point by calculating the length of one side of a triangle, given measurements of angles and sides of the triangle formed by that point and two other reference points.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Thanx, I'll look on JU.

I'm also not saying the floor mounting kit would or would not have helped. I was simply relating my thoughts on what I have for a kit and what I expect it to do. Frankly, triangulation is the key IMO and why none of these kits provide any is a mystery to me. I plan on adding a diagnol to mine over the front seats at some point - just need to get around to it in addition to the other crap on my list.
I knew what you meant. Triangulation to your current cage may or may not help. The week part is the flat steel at the cowl as well as the quality of tubing used in the original add-on cage.
Your foundation needs to be strong before you build onto it.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Triangulation is the process of finding a distance to a point by calculating the length of one side of a triangle, given measurements of angles and sides of the triangle formed by that point and two other reference points.

You're a nerd!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:56 AM

So Eric, just something I have been wondering since all of this came about. Have you talked/showed your rig to the Master himself since this has happened? I am just curious as to what his thoughts are about it.

http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=860472
Old 07-05-2005, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BLKJP
So Eric, just something I have been wondering since all of this came about. Have you talked/showed your rig to the Master himself since this has happened? I am just curious as to what his thoughts are about it.
Nope. Dealing with insurance right now. I'm not here to bag on anyone's product. I've just been sharing my thoughts and answering questions. I'm mainly concerned about getting my Jeep back in shape.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Your foundation needs to be strong before you build onto it.
Heres' where I differ but not due to material strengths or anything like that. I differ based on use. Frankly, my plan with my rig is for ultimate versatility. My days of pure hardcore trail running are over. I will do 4-5 rated trails a few times a year but thats is not where the rig will live 100% of the time so I see no reason to design or build it just for that.

I have a trip planned for the Dusy in September, Arizona over Thanksgiving and then I am going to Moab in the spring. I would also like to eventually go hit the passes in Colorado. The Jeep will get driven some to these places and trailered to others. I don't need a full on comp cage for this rig but I need space, storage and comfort - compromises will be made in some places because of this so it is not intended as a pure rockcrawler. If I wanted that, frankly, I would go get a used TJ or YJ, strip it down, cut off what was in the way, add axles, gearing and a full frame cage and then have at it.

You can go ahead and use your insurance to rebuild your rig but I think you might also want to look into having it totaled, buying it back and then making it a trail only rig. The salvage title will kill the value but then you won't have to worry about it anymore. You can use the rest of your settlement for a cheap car to run around town with. It will cost you less in gas and insurance and free up your transportation alternatives as you will not have to rely on your Jeep to get you around.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Heres' where I differ but not due to material strengths or anything like that. I differ based on use. Frankly, my plan with my rig is for ultimate versatility. My days of pure hardcore trail running are over. I will do 4-5 rated trails a few times a year but thats is not where the rig will live 100% of the time so I see no reason to design or build it just for that.

I have a trip planned for the Dusy in September, Arizona over Thanksgiving and then I am going to Moab in the spring. I would also like to eventually go hit the passes in Colorado. The Jeep will get driven some to these places and trailered to others. I don't need a full on comp cage for this rig but I need space, storage and comfort - compromises will be made in some places because of this so it is not intended as a pure rockcrawler. If I wanted that, frankly, I would go get a used TJ or YJ, strip it down, cut off what was in the way, add axles, gearing and a full frame cage and then have at it.

You can go ahead and use your insurance to rebuild your rig but I think you might also want to look into having it totaled, buying it back and then making it a trail only rig. The salvage title will kill the value but then you won't have to worry about it anymore. You can use the rest of your settlement for a cheap car to run around town with. It will cost you less in gas and insurance and free up your transportation alternatives as you will not have to rely on your Jeep to get you around.
Fully understood; Robert. As you can probably tell; I missed out on my trip to CO. for the 4th.
Old 07-05-2005, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Jeff;
I may have missed something, but what happened to your rig?
This was my XJ - all sheetmetal damage - it was a couple years ago, but you had asked if anyone had reported trail damage to their insurance and got paid.

Jeff
Old 07-05-2005, 01:10 PM

Well I called insurance company and it looks like i'll be taken care of with the exception of aftermarket parts damage. My rates won't go up due to the fact that there was no property damage or injury to others.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Well I called insurance company and it looks like i'll be taken care of with the exception of aftermarket parts damage. My rates won't go up due to the fact that there was no property damage or injury to others.
That's great news. So they'll stick you back to a stock cage for a few while you get the plans for the new one made out.

So what exactly are you having covered on this, windshield frame, windshield, door and cowl area, dash? Are you going to try for the fenders too?
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 07-05-2005, 01:44 PM

Why would I try to insure the fenders?
Old 07-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Why would I try to insure the fenders?
Wasn't sure if the rock caught the bar around the fender too causing more damage then there already was to begin with. Ya can't really tell by the pics but it was in the general aera of where they are.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 07-05-2005, 04:50 PM

My .02 on dash mounted cages after seeing those pictures.

1 - I'm glad you weren't hurt.
2 - I'm not going to purchase a dash mounted cage - I'll pony up the tall dollars and have a through dash floor mounted cage ala 4XDR or T&J. I think that cage caused more damage then it prevented.
3 - Time to get one of those TJ Buggies I posted about a while ago!

Jeff
Old 07-05-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:

Jeff
To try and use a street licensed TJ as a purpose built rockcrawler in addition to an all around wheeler/conveyance is a bit stupid IMO. To heavy, to compromised, to tall and not to mention way to expensive as an initial investment. They clearly need alot of work in order to survive and some of us have reached our max on what we can do without having to enlist the help of a fab shop. Personally, I like the Bruiser chassis - wish I could afford one but then I would again need a fab shop to help me dial it in. Might as well mortgage the house and buy one turn key at that point.

I really like the idea of cutting everything off stock rigs and using minimal lift and big tires. Salvage title TJ's or YJ's are great for that and are way easier to afford. Anyone of us could probably rat one together without a huge investment in tools or fabrication talent. They just don't have the cache' that highly fabricated purpose built rigs seem to be getting these days.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
My .02 on dash mounted cages after seeing those pictures.

1 - I'm glad you weren't hurt.
2 - I'm not going to purchase a dash mounted cage - I'll pony up the tall dollars and have a through dash floor mounted cage ala 4XDR or T&J. I think that cage caused more damage then it prevented.

Jeff
I agree!!! When I looked on T&J's site; I just saw mostly Cherokee stuff. Do they sell a cage kit for TJ's? Didn't Tennessee OffRoad have a through dash cage kit as well? I'll do a search for the 4XDR cage. Didn't know he had one either.

I like those buggie chassis that I posted up by Hendrix Motorsports. They seem pretty affordable.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
To try and use a street licensed TJ as a purpose built rockcrawler in addition to an all around wheeler/conveyance is a bit stupid IMO. To heavy, to compromised, to tall and not to mention way to expensive as an initial investment. They clearly need alot of work in order to survive and some of us have reached our max on what we can do without having to enlist the help of a fab shop. Personally, I like the Bruiser chassis - wish I could afford one but then I would again need a fab shop to help me dial it in. Might as well mortgage the house and buy one turn key at that point.

I really like the idea of cutting everything off stock rigs and using minimal lift and big tires. Salvage title TJ's or YJ's are great for that and are way easier to afford. Anyone of us could probably rat one together without a huge investment in tools or fabrication talent. They just don't have the cache' that highly fabricated purpose built rigs seem to be getting these days.
Well, we'll see if I can pull of a fairly competent rock crawler without losing the TJ look and not making it into a buggy. Right now I've got it pretty much dialed in without adding so much as a quarter inch of suspension lift. I measured the other day and my springs in the front are 1" taller at ride height than PC 4" springs. My rears are effectively 5.5" of lift with the rear upper raised 1.5" bringing it down to 4 with a 3/8" isolater.

Should be a fairly low COG with the new tires.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:30 PM

I have an Essentially Offroad cage which is almost the same ass the TOR one. Somewhat of a crappy picture

Old 07-05-2005, 06:40 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
We helped Sarah and Rick install their cages from Essentially Offroad. The cages were nice.

I dont mean to blatantly slam MJR down anyones throats, but there are some good pics of the cage and install on this thread.

I dont do any extreme rock crawling, but it doesnt take doing anything extreme to roll and do damage to yourself and your Jeep. Even an experienced person on a low level trail can make a bad decision and roll it. It seems to me that IF youre going to spend the money to get a cage...youd want a full cage, not a "sport cage". Ill probably either get one like Essentially Offroads, or have Chris build me one.

Im glad to hear they are covering your damage Good news indeed. So which cage are you going to get ?

Tam
Old 07-05-2005, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Well, we'll see if I can pull of a fairly competent rock crawler without losing the TJ look and not making it into a buggy. Right now I've got it pretty much dialed in without adding so much as a quarter inch of suspension lift. I measured the other day and my springs in the front are 1" taller at ride height than PC 4" springs. My rears are effectively 5.5" of lift with the rear upper raised 1.5" bringing it down to 4 with a 3/8" isolater.

Blaine - you were the exact reason why I mentioned fabrication skills in my little diatribe I sincerely wish I had yours as probably most who know you do as well. Outside of a major shop, you are probably one of the few people who can actually pull that off.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepGal
We helped Sarah and Rick install their cages from Essentially Offroad. The cages were nice.

I dont mean to blatantly slam MJR down anyones throats, but there are some good pics of the cage and install on this thread.

I dont do any extreme rock crawling, but it doesnt take doing anything extreme to roll and do damage to yourself and your Jeep. Even an experienced person on a low level trail can make a bad decision and roll it. It seems to me that IF youre going to spend the money to get a cage...youd want a full cage, not a "sport cage". Ill probably either get one like Essentially Offroads, or have Chris build me one.

Im glad to hear they are covering your damage Good news indeed. So which cage are you going to get ?

Tam
Thanks for the link. I'll most likely go with a custom built cage. I'm not seeing the degree of triangulation that I want in any of the prefabbed cages I have looked at as of yet.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Just add a narrowed aluminum tub and Currie's new front bumper design and you'll have a rig like their new project. *Drool*