Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 09-07-2010, 12:09 PM

Question replacing bearing + seal on Dana44 (rear)

without having the Jeep TJ handy and since it's been a while since we done this last, I'm wondering if anything else is needed to replace the bearing and seal (ordered it through Superior as a set) on the axleshaft for the rear Dana44? Do you need a (new) backing plate also or does the current one stay on there or is it re-used?

Just making sure I have all the parts to fix it in a couple of weeks when I'm in Texas again ... 'fixing ?t up' for the JV run later this year also
Old 09-07-2010, 01:39 PM

A new press-on bearing retainer is also needed since it gets destroyed when removing it. You can reuse the bearing/seal/axle retainer bracket that goes onto the axle shaft between the bearing and wheel flange. Enjoy your trip to Texas Ron, I love that state. I sure hope to make it out to JV more than once this season, especially to try out the new Jeep, hopefully it'll be when you're there too.