Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-25-2002, 01:47 PM

Smog check advice

I'm all for keeping the environment clean so I don't have an issue with smog checks. I went today and the Jeep passed the emissions test easily and in fact was far under average emissions in most categories.

The thing that is making me angry is the inspectors refusal to pass it based on some silly crap in his bureaucratic physical inspection:

1. No sticker indicating the air filter is CA emissions legal. Easy enough to deal with.

2. He insists that to pass the engine has to turn approx 1700 rpm at 15 mph in 2nd gear and 2500 rpm at 25 mph in 2nd gear.

Item #2 is a killer for me. Both the tranmission and axle ratios are significantly different than stock. By my calculations to come close to his nonsensical goals I'm either going to have to borrow some 48 inch tires (that would be a real joy) or else temporarily swap in 3.73 gears.

Is the inspector just being a moron, or am I going to have to deal with this garbage at any inspection station in our fine state?

I've still got an Oregon drivers license so I'm tempted to trailer it up there and register it in a state that still has some common sense. I'd rather not waste the time though if there is a foreseeable way around this.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:07 PM

I think the guy has a couple of screws loose. Maybe there is some envy going on as well as he really didn't have to put you through that.

The idea behind the dyno is rpms and vehicle speed - the gear is irrelevant. I just had mine smogged 2 weeks ago and my gear ratios are not correct either, ie 35's with 3:73's. The guy didn't bother me about it though - he just started the thing up and ran it, he didn't hold the auto tranny in first or second either. All he really did was match the what the Jeep was doing to the rpm guage on the dyno to keep it in the green/test zone. The air cleaner thing is just way to nitpicky.

You can try another shop but are you sure this idiot didn't **** you by entering in a no pass into the system?

Edit: Art, call me on my cell after 4 - I will be in the valley a little later to pick up the Suburban - I have yakked with Bruce about maybe grabbing some dinner if you are interested.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/35" MTr's
Old 01-25-2002, 03:02 PM

Art,

If it's a big problem, I'll have a TJ D44 with 3.73's that you can "borrow" for a day or so to throw under. This would be end of February or middle march.

William "Unless you're William" Karstens
AKA
"I'm not Bill"
Old 01-25-2002, 03:07 PM

Art,
I have a buddy in Glendale that will
take care of it. As long as it passes
the snifer.

Bruce

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,