Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-19-2002, 01:01 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Anbody ever pull their fuel pump in a TJ?

Here's the sitch:

At almost the same time, both my and my brother's TJ's check engine lights came on. Using the Autozone code reader, mine was an EVAP leak. I pushed on all the hoses, reset the computer and the light went off ... for awhile.

My brother had his TJ into the dealer to fix a faulty airbag and cruise control (apparently the interior isn't as water resistent as advertised ). Anyway, they diagnosed his EVAP error with a smoke test and said that the pump filter was leaking. It was going to be $3?? to fix so he said no thanks and we're gonna' tackle it ourselves.

Looking at the FSM, it says that you need a special tool to remove the pump. It that thing screwed in so tight as to not be removeable by hand or some sort of strap wrench? Additionally, it looks like it'd be a good time to replace the filter/pressure regulator on mine if it isn't too expensive (runs fine otherwise, though have 79,000 miles).

Any thoughts, help, insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2002, 01:17 PM
Administrator

The lock ring is recessed down into the top of the tank and only accessible from the front. I have successfully used a big pair of Channellock brand oil filter removal pliers.

Pretty tedious, but not nearly as tedious as getting that stupid seal back into position. It shrinks from the gas fumes and won't fit the hole in the tank. Put it on the pump assembly and the pump won't go in. A real pain in the butt.

I am also not certain you have to remove the pump to replace the filter. I think it just unclips from the top of the pump assembly. I think ZUK cut a hole in the floor of his TJ just for this reason.

Try to get the filter off before removing the pump assembly.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:27 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

The dealer told my brother that the pump gasket was leaking, hence the necessity to remove the pump, retained by the big locking ring. I figured I'd replace the filter/regulator, retained by the clip, at the same time. Per the FSM, the filter has an o-ring and the pump a gasket. The pump sounds like it'll be a pain in the ass but the filter looks easy. As for access, I'll just drop the tank, no holes in the tub for me. I'd hate to go to this trouble just to find out the pump gasket is fine. Is there a way to smoke test it yourself to make sure? The FSM refers you to a powertrain manual for this testing.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2002, 08:39 AM

I had the pump out of a YJ a bunch of times. I hammered the ring off with a screw driver. It released easily. I think a new rubber seal made re-insatallation a snap, but only remember I was glad I did something to avoid what Blaine said about it.
I think DM sells the whole thing as a unit, not parts. I haven't a clue what they are talking about the filter. It's only a screen that could keep out the big chunks. I would think you could throw it away and the pump would still work.
I believe I have a disabled unit out of a TJ in my attic. I could take some pictures if it would help? I also have a spare tank.
Ron
Old 08-21-2002, 09:59 AM

Yes there is a big plastic lock ring that holds the fuel pump module in the tank. The problem was that the early design didn't work so well. The new replacement fuel pump module seal is a double lip seal instead of the original single lip.

Did the dealer run the labor OP to see if the repair was covered under an extended emissions warranty ?. It may have been covered only for 5/50 CA but might be covered under 8/80 Fed.

The fuel tank needs to be dropped down to access the top of the fuel tank where it is at. As Blaine said you may be able to use some HUGE channel lock pliers to remove the lock ring. When you pull out the fuel pump module be careful not to knock the original seal into the fuel tank. When putting the new one on also be careful to not dislodge it or knock it into the tank when you put the fuel pump module back in. Also be careful not to cross-thread the fuel tank lock ring when you put it back on.

The TJ's should not have a serviceable fuel filter or regulator. They are only offered with a complete fuel pump module from the OE. The only aprt that is available seperately is the fuel level sender.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MJR

The TJ's should not have a serviceable fuel filter or regulator. They are only offered with a complete fuel pump module from the OE. The only aprt that is available seperately is the fuel level sender. [/B]
The fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator are a combo, but it can be replaced without having to buy the whole fuel pump assembly.
Old 08-22-2002, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonz44

The fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator are a combo, but it can be replaced without having to buy the whole fuel pump assembly.
Well I'll be, you are correct. I am surprised the factory did that as they usually want you to buy a whole assy and spend a small fortune.