Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-07-2007, 10:54 AM

Why are Wranglers so fun to drive?

I've been daily driving my Jeep for about 2 weeks now, something I haven't really done yet.

I've spent time in it before, and I've driven my sister's jeep around for a couple of days at a time, but spending every day in it, I've come to the realization that jeeps are really fun to drive.

I'm not sure why. They are loud, bouncy, crude, etc.

And yet they are just fun to drive.

I still can't put my finger on why I find them so fun to drive.

It's something about the tall, upright driving position and the low sight lines all the way around the vehicle, with the hood way out in front of you and the rear corner right behind.

I don't ride horses much, if ever, but that's kind of the feeling I get driving a jeep around. Like you are right in the middle and you can see all around you.

The only other car I've been in that felt the same way was an old MG. It was the same feeling of being right in the middle, although obviously way lower to the ground.

Anyway, anyone else have an idea of why wranglers are so fun to drive?
Old 07-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Excellent visibility, nimble, TONS of power and each one has it's own personality that we fine tune ourself.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 AM

Your MG reference is oddly familiar Shalom....I had a 72 MGB myself and I have often considered the feeling of driving the Jeep as similar to it. My S2000 is similar as well....noisy, cramped personal space, odd sightlines and a blast to drive. Now if I could only drive my Jeep...its been out of commission for months now.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:13 PM

To me, I get the same feeling driving the TJ as I did when I drove sports cars like my Datsun 1600 roadster and then the Triumph TR-6. Open air, different than 99% of the other vehicles around you, and a "can go anywhere" feeling. Very cool, and is why my TJ is my daily driver and not one of the others parked in my garage.