Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-26-2003, 09:18 AM

Dentist

Man, what is up with this? Fortunately I have been blessed with good teeth but for whatever reason (heh, cinnimon rolls maybe), I had to get a couple of fillings yesterday. So there I am, sitting there in the chair all apprehensive as I haven't had the pleasure of having my teeth drilled on since I was like 13 and the assistant walks in and unravels this set of tools that looked like something out of that Mel Gibson Brave Heart movie where at the end, he was gutted like a fish. Holy Shiat I think - this is going to be rude.

Crimmeny, how mid evil can a profession get, I mean this is not the dark ages and there have been advancements in medical science, not to mention metal working. You wouldn't have known it by these tools though. Sheesh.

So anyways, by this point, I am really dreading the whole thing and get to thinking that maybe I would be better off with no teeth like those toothless old mugs you see in the Afganistan videos on the news channel and in walks the dentist with the needle.

So did I say that I really hate needles and I say to myself, better off just closing my eyes and getting it over with. Next time I open my eyes, I can't feel one side of my head and my tongue feels like its one of those cows tongues that you see in the meat section at the grocery store.

Great I think, this is getting nothing but better and then the drill becomes visable. Hmmm, more shutting of eyes is in order I think. So after about a 1/2 hour of having my mouth pryed open and getting worked over like Brock lester in a WWF match, I am free to go. I can't feel my head, my mouth is sore and the anethesia made me feel sick to my stomach. Fawk, I can't believe I actually paid for this!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:39 AM

Heh, I guess that settles that... that Robert has no masochistic tendencies afterall.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:01 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Robert,

You need a better dentist. Until I was probably a teenager, I didn't even know you got a shot when getting a tooth filled. My dentist puts a topical numbing agent on the gum and then pinches it with his fingers when he gives you the shot so you literally don't feel it. The best part is that he always keeps the needle hidden (nurse hands it to him down low from behind you and he brings it up low under your line of sight) so you don't get psyched out by it. I've been "blessed" with straight, but weak teeth and have had more than my share of fillings. The only time it is really sore afterwards is if the filling is between the teeth and they have to separate them with wedges. OUCH!

Did you ask for the nitrous?
Old 09-26-2003, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Robert, You need a better dentist.
No I don't, they are all sadists in my book - in fact, I think there is probably a semester of it that is taught to them in dental school - Sadism 101.

Does this make me an anti-dentite
Old 09-26-2003, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Did you ask for the nitrous?

MMMM nitrouse :giggle:
Old 09-26-2003, 10:37 AM

Send a message via AIM to JMyerz Send a message via Yahoo to JMyerz
I hate needles / dentists too.

When I had to get my wisdom teeth out, the nurse came in with the biggest $%&* needle I have EVER seen, and this was for the knock out drugs too.

I was so scared I broke the chair because I was putting too much pressure on the arm rest....

Next thing I know I'm being carried out by this little lady, who I swear was only 3 feet tall

Justin

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
No I don't, they are all sadists in my book - in fact, I think there is probably a semester of it that is taught to them in dental school - Sadism 101.

Does this make me an anti-dentite
Old 09-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Reggae

When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be a dentist.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:56 AM
Banned for being bad

Re: Dentist

Quote:
worked over like Brock lester in a WWF match,
Does this mean you tapped out
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:58 AM
Banned for being bad

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be a dentist.
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:58 AM

Re: Re: Dentist

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Palese
Does this mean you tapped out
Yes, I was done
Old 09-26-2003, 11:05 AM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
I'D RATHER HAVE THE NEEDLE THEN THE DAMN GAS!!!!! And I need to have at least 2 shots to keep the pain away, normally keeping me numb for 1/2 the day and still feeling the tingle in my nose a day later.

I like to be coherent when he's coming at me with the drill whispering... "Is it safe?"

Actually, the day before you go, be sure to rent a movie called "The Dentist". I assure you, you won't be sorry.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Robert, just suck it up!

Last month, I had a double root canal. Aside from having something that reminded me of my ex-wife's dia....ok....we won't go there....anyway, after having my mouth propped open with this shower curtain thing tucked inside of it for a bit over 2 hours, I was lucky enough to be able to hand over a check that covered his kid's fall tuition at college.

Then....as if that wasn't enough fun, I spent another 2 hours in at my regular dentist as she drilled out the temp junk the first guy put in those two holes and then refilled them so crown impressions could be made. I now know, without a shadow of doubt, that the company that makes RTV for diff covers also makes an RTV that can be used for crown impressions. And once again, I got the honor of making a substantial contribution to the dentist kid's college fund (she is too young to have one in college yet).

Next week, I get to go back and they remove the temp crowns and glue on the real ones. I am betting I discover that LocTite makes a frickin' adhesive for dental use too!

Edit: I guess I could say that the root canal fellow did a topical, then 3 shots of novacaine, and then one more that deadens a nerve that goes through your jaw and back to your ear. He warned me that the last one tastes bad....it did...enough to want to make you throw up. While he was drilling, he made me wear safety glasses!
Old 09-26-2003, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
Robert, just suck it up!
LOL Stu, I can't because when it comes to a vist with the Sadist, I'm a pussy
Old 09-26-2003, 12:05 PM

One of the all-time classic dentist and patient comedy scenes I have ever seen is in The Little Shop of Horrors between the very sadistic dentist (Steve Martin) and the masochistic patient (Bill Murray).

Steve Martin is really enjoying all the pain he's causing for Bill Murray... until he finally figures out that Bill is only there for the pain. It's hilarious to watch them together in that scene!

There's another classic comedy scene where WC Fields plays an incompetent dentist but even WC Fields can't hold a candle to what happens between Martin and Murray in The Little Shop of Horrors.

Sorry to read about your dentistry agony Robert but how you wrote it made it pretty funny!
Old 09-26-2003, 12:12 PM

I'm glad that you enjoyed my recounting of a painful experience Jerry. Now what would that make you?
Old 09-26-2003, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I'm glad that you enjoyed my recounting of a painful experience Jerry. Now what would that make you?
Who woulda ever thought we'd be discussing S&M in Jeepbbs.com.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:54 PM

Robert,

I sympathize...for whatever it's worth.

I've had a fair amount of dental work over the years, but by far the most "interesting" experience was removal of my two wisdom teeth. My dentist wouldn't tackle them, and sent me to a dental surgeon.

Oral medication, IV drugs, and small assortment of tools that came directly out of a Bela Legosi movie. The end result is me "coming to" in another room and the dental surgeon walking in saying, "That was one of the more interesting cases I've seen".
Old 09-26-2003, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
small assortment of tools that came directly out of a Bela Legosi movie.
See, thats the part that got me going on this rant - that stuff is positively evil looking. I mean I have a set of steak knives in my kitchen drawer at home that look more modern than the junk that guy was using on me. Dentistry is a cult for sadists to legally inflict pain on folks and get paid for doing so
Old 09-26-2003, 02:09 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
The end result is me "coming to" in another room and the dental surgeon walking in saying, "That was one of the more interesting cases I've seen".
Was your shirt untucked also?
Old 09-26-2003, 02:30 PM

I was tucked, I know I was tucked
Old 09-26-2003, 02:45 PM
dennisuello

it's ok. in Russia they don't use anesthetic at all unless they pull the teeth. i had a root canal done without local anesthetic, not a fun experience. i guess that's why people think russians are not afraid of pain....
Old 09-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Jerry's comment got me thinking about commedy and the routine Bill Cosby would do about talking with your face all shot full of novacaine. It is really funny.

When I finished enrolling the first dentist's kid in the fall session at ASU, I called my wife on the phone. I was num as hell....half my face felt like a beef steak and my tounge was at best 50% functional. She started laughing at me on the phone and said I sound like Bill Cosby in that comedy skit.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:37 PM

novacaine doesn't kill pain, it just postpones it, and allows it to build up some pain buddies on the side.

(from the Cosby routine)
Old 09-26-2003, 04:16 PM

save your self from the shots. the only thing you feel when they drill is a little heat.

I go with no novicaine cause the shot hearts more then just doing it.

When at the dentist all I can think of is Steve Martin as the sadist dentist.

Scott
Old 09-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Hill
save your self from the shots. the only thing you feel when they drill is a little heat.

I go with no novicaine cause the shot hearts more then just doing it.

When at the dentist all I can think of is Steve Martin as the sadist dentist.

Scott
Freak. I have a pretty high tolerance to pain but when it comes to my teeth, I need the needle!!!! Can't get past that pain.

As for all you can think of is Steve Martin, rent "The Dentist"... come on, I dare you... I double-dog dare you. It's the one from 1996.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Was your shirt untucked also?
Oh, yeah, still tucked. Don't think I was violated

The strange part was I only had two wisdom teeth to remove. I asked him, don't folks normally have 4, two upper and two lower??

He said, "Yes, normally. But this sometimes happens in the canine family".

Never saw The Dentist, but I still think of Dustin Hoffman, "Is it safe??"
Old 09-26-2003, 08:31 PM
Arizona Chick

Quote:
Never saw The Dentist, but I still think of Dustin Hoffman, "Is it safe??"
Hehehehe... Sergey decided to go rent it on my "recommendation". I don't think he'll be listening to me after seeing it anymore.

As for wisdom teeth, I had all 4 removed in one shot. Woke up thinking I was on a bar crawl back in college with my best friend, only to realize I was talking to a 70 year old nurse.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:58 PM

I for one am with Scott Hill on this one. From my late teens to early thirty's, I hated that needle. It just didn't seem as if the Dentist really knew what he was doing. Poke, press syring, move needle around, press some more. One time, I ask the Dentist for no shot. All I felt was a little heat. Face still felt attached when I was done. I now will take the the shot only 'cause my new Dentist uses the topical Jeff was talking about. I kinda like the feeling of my skin slipping off my face.
Wind_Danzer, I just recently watched the Dentist. That last part just freaked me out.
Robert, the only dental tool I really can't stand is the scraper one. When the Dentist left the room, I took a real close look at that thing. It look sharp enough to filet fish.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jay
Robert, Should have talked to me. I have the kind hook up on dental.....so do you.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Robert, Should have talked to me. I have the kind hook up on dental.....so do you.
I did speak to Brenda - apparently issues with my insurance.

Hey, what up with that sig? You don't own a real CJ5 either