Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > The Photo Circle
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Photo Circle Our brand spanking new forum to discuss and ask questions about anything related to photography. Also share you pictures and talk about creative works.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:17 PM
Reggae

Cool Earlier today

All that talk about cameras made me hungry to go out and snap some pictures.

The first one is with my 12-24/f4 wide lens. I am a newbie when it comes to wide lenses, but some subjects, like the crowded lot of old trucks I had in the earlier album, or the Coronado Bridge here, just lend themselves.

The next two pictures were taken with my all time favorite 70-200/f2.8 VR lens.

Dual Confidence Leaves Port

View of Downtown San Diego

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 01-07-2007, 10:11 PM

Talking Great Pictures!

Those are awesome pictures!

Thank you for posting them.

Kat
Old 01-07-2007, 10:26 PM

Great pics Sergey, nothing like that early-morning sun for those spectacular colors and fully saturated color intensity. Did you set the camera to simulate a low ASA like 25? That's a great way to increase the color saturation through the longer exposure.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Nice pics Sergey. I like the one of the bridge. Did you crop it to make it appear wider?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Reggae

Thank you.

Yes, I cropped the top and the bottom off of the bridge picture and corrected perspective just a little bit (in Photoshop it is very easy to correct perspective at the same time with cropping, so I do that sometimes, even when it would be fine without corrections).

These pictures were actually taken around sunset time. But, in my humble opinion, there is no difference between sunrise and sunset as far as pictures go, so unless you can guess by the location, you have a 50%/50% chance of guessing right. One hour around sunrise/sunset is the golden hour of photography ? my favorite time to take pictures.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Thank you.

Yes, I cropped the top and the bottom off of the bridge picture and corrected perspective just a little bit (in Photoshop it is very easy to correct perspective at the same time with cropping, so I do that sometimes, even when it would be fine without corrections).

These pictures were actually taken around sunset time. But, in my humble opinion, there is no difference between sunrise and sunset as far as pictures go, so unless you can guess by the location, you have a 50%/50% chance of guessing right. One hour around sunrise/sunset is the golden hour of photography ? my favorite time to take pictures.
You need to add a photography section that you are willing to moderate and teach a bit in. I'd like to learn a few things to help me take better photos. Interested?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Reggae

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
You need to add a photography section that you are willing to moderate and teach a bit in. I'd like to learn a few things to help me take better photos. Interested?
That's a good idea. Let's give it a try. And if it doesn't pick up then we can always kill the new section later.

I'll create the new forum tonight, and move some of the recent camera and picture threads there.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Thank you.

Thats a good time also for taking pics of vehicles. What format do you post process in?
Old 01-08-2007, 12:46 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Thumbs up

Looking forward to the new forum Sergey! Do you mess around with any night photography? I didn't even look, do the digital SLR's have a provision for adding a shutter release like the film SLR's to hold the shutter open or is it possible with the remote control?

I'll save other questions for the new forum.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:10 PM

I've shot a few pics at night. On one of my DSLR's I have a remote shutter release. On the other I simply use the timer. I haven't done many candids at night. A tripod and timer method works surpisingly well.

My favorite night lens is a fixed 50 f1.8. It gathers light quite well. I shoot a Conon digital Rebel (the original, not eh new one) and a Canon Eos 30D. Both cameras are far beyond my capabilites, but I got them as payment for some work I did.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:26 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

great idea adding the nef section to the forum. this may make me get out there with the camer and make it earn its keep.
i really like the bridge shot. normally with the wita angle lenses i find the photos skewed. whatever post processing you did seems to have done a great job of correcting this.
nice work on those pics!

i think i might find myself doing a couple of sunset shots here in the near future to add to this.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>