Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 PM

Wink another 'Ron project' has been finished

yep, it finally happened -> Ron changed the other 3 MT/R K's onto the bead lock wheels
It turned into quite a 'Ron project' aka 'it takes a lot longer than anticipated' (and I already anticipated it taking longer than usual ) ...

of course the recessed holes on the beadlock ring were filled with aluminum from the latest runs, from which the JV run over Thanksgiving is the main one, so a fair bit of scraping was involved for even being able to get to the bolts.
Then onto installing the new MT/R K's onto the beadlock wheel -> what a major PITA was that -> the lip is much thicker on the new style tires than the old ones + it's of course not as 'loose' on the new as on the old, so to get that lip to seat over the edge of the beadlock rim/edge took a fair bit of effort.

This resulted in the next hick up -> getting the bolts started took quite a bit of effort too, because of the thick outer lip (longer bolts and c-clamps came into play, so none of the threads on the wheel would get stripped out).

Because of the bead lock ring almost folding inwards because of the thicker lip, it also took a lot longer to get it evenly 'torqued' to specs ...

But eventually it all happened and now the Jeep's sitting on new tars

(no pictures)
Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Reggae

Oh boy, not looking forward for when the time comes to do mine. At least thanks to you I know what to be ready for.

This tool helps when dealing with disfigured bolts:
Gator Grip ETC-200MO Universal Socket

And having plenty of extra spare bolts is a good idea (to replace ones with damaged heads).

The specs are: 5/16"x1.25" bolts; 175 inch-pounds

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM

Yeah they are fun aren't they, the old version was much easier. You should have done them at JV and we could have all sat around and gave you advice. You know how that works.
Then after you struggled and got the last one started, we could have told you that if you take a sharp blade and just slightly champher the sharp edge on the inside of the bead, then it seats over the edge easier.

Of course I didn't learn that trick until after I'd done all 5 of mine.
You'll like the new tars at JV.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Cool

Yep, you guys warned me already
At least this time I wasn't putting on almost bald tires
After the 1st one I used ArmorAll to make it slide a bit easier,
Which helped. I'll get to try them out in March, so we'll see.