Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-18-2002, 11:03 AM

opinion on tires

In my last post i was asking about my engine handling 31s, i never thought to ask anyones opinion on the BFG All-terrain TA/KO. Every site i went to said they ran pretty well, but i figured theres no better answer then from someone thats probably used them b4 like you guys. I plan on doing some light to moderate offroading right now, But unfortunately my jeep is my daily driver so it has to have good onroad capability as well. Thanks in advance
Old 12-18-2002, 12:56 PM

They should do a good job for the type of use you will be putting them to. Nice on the road, do good offroad.

Scott E.
Old 12-18-2002, 01:17 PM
Reggae

There are a lot of Goodyear MT/R tire fans around here (me included). I ran the BFG TA/KO before - they are not bad -, and I like the MT/Rs better. My jeep is my daily driver (well it's in the shop right now, but still).
Old 12-18-2002, 01:26 PM

I had the ATs and later AT-KOs on one of my broncos.

My only complaints were weak sidewalls, and poor in slushy snow.
Old 12-19-2002, 03:36 PM

I ran 31 BFG AT KOs for 2 years.

Their positives are that they wear evenly, last forever(40-60K miles with offroading), and they are very quiet. They work well onroad in the rain, and in the snow. Off road, they are capable for light to moderate offroading.

Their negatives are they have very poor traction on fine dust trails (dust over rocks) and in any situation that involves mud, slush, or wet rocks.

I run 33 MTRs now, and I would personally recommend them over the BFGs.

Offroad, they simply work better in every situation than the BFGs (yes I know I'm running larger tires, but my MTRs grip better aired up than my BFGs would grip properly aired down. This was tested on a trail i ran both tires on.) MTRs are amazing in the rocks, and pretty decent in the mud.

As far as on road, the side walls are thicker, so you get a harsher ride. If this is important to you, go with the BFGs. I haven't tested snow yet, but in the rain, I believe the MTRs work better than the BFGs. The rubber compound grips asphalt better in the rain. I have much less wheel spin with the MTRs (although this might be due to the increased tire size)

The major downside to MTRs onroad are that they are noisy compared to the BFGs. I'll take the trade off, especially since MTRs are quieter than other mud tires, but if noise bothers you, go with the BFGs.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:08 PM

My .02

On my second set of BFG MT's. They suck in the sand but they excel on wet, slushy roads. They run damn quit in my opinion and they do get high milage (Last pair is 60+ with serviceable tread; on y Bronco). The new KM's have stronger sidewalls than the previous models but I don't think any radial has the sidewall strength that a 4 ply has. A buddy of mine has the Goodyears and really likes them. I have the KM's and really like them too.

PS Not sure comparing the Goodyear MT to the AT is a fair compare, but I did think the GS/A's that came stock did quite well for an AT type tire. It's generally not dry up here in the Puget Sound basin.