Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-16-2004, 07:12 PM

Rear Currie Anti Rock

I need to see your guys pics of TJ rear Anti Rock Off Road Sway Bar installations. I did a search, but only found one pic. I need to install one and want input. TIA

BTW, this TJ has a CHP, 4" LA kit, no bodylift, stock fuel tank. I'm I dreaming?
Old 06-16-2004, 07:32 PM

Chris,

I just installed one a week ago and it was a pain in the @#*! It was a tight fit with a 1" body lift and a Kilby gas tank skid. It was a 2003 TJ with the extra emission lines above the tank. An older TJ you might have a chance without the body lift. We did trim the body seam a little to raise the tubes as close the floor of the Jeep as possible. I'll try to dig out some pictures, not sure if we took any.
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 06-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Re: Rear Currie Anti Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisO
I need to see your guys pics of TJ rear Anti Rock Off Road Sway Bar installations. I did a search, but only found one pic. I need to install one and want input. TIA

BTW, this TJ has a CHP, 4" LA kit, no bodylift, stock fuel tank. I'm I dreaming?
You will need a body lift or holesaw the frame in front of the rear crossmember.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:30 AM
AA reject

Here is a link to some shots.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/1BFB7055BA5CA45
Old 06-17-2004, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris L
Here is a link to some shots.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/1BFB7055BA5CA45
Thank you.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to jeepik
sheer observation, but from those pics it looks like you can take a MORE 1 inch motor mount lift and use that as the mounting point as Chris L's mounting points look identical to that
Old 06-17-2004, 06:10 AM

I need to re-look at the Jeep I'm gonna be installing this on (not here yet) but I will probably do Blaine's idea of the hole sawing the frame.

Is there enough room behind the stock fuel tank for the bar?
Old 06-17-2004, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I need to re-look at the Jeep I'm gonna be installing this on (not here yet) but I will probably do Blaine's idea of the hole sawing the frame.

Is there enough room behind the stock fuel tank for the bar?
Yes there is. I think IIRC that it's pretty tight and the bigger worry is spacing it far enough forward from the crossmember to allow rotation. The end of the AR is square and therefore describes a bigger arc when it rotates.

Let me see if I can dig up a pic to send to you. I aided a buddy by the name of Orbitcat on Por and JU with that style mod.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:16 AM

What is the benefit of Currie's rear anti-swaybar over the factory anti-swaybar if you're running the same style heim-jointed links on both of them? I thought Currie's rear Antirock was really just meant for vehicles that don't have one, like frame-up built buggies.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
What is the benefit of Currie's rear anti-swaybar over the factory anti-swaybar if you're running the same style heim-jointed links on both of them? I thought Currie's rear Antirock was really just meant for vehicles that don't have one, like frame-up built buggies.
This TJ has a Currie High Pinion 3rd member, thus, the stock bar will not fit and has been removed.

I believe the rear anti rock is a bit larger in diameter too. Blaine, should know if that is correct.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Yes there is. I think IIRC that it's pretty tight and the bigger worry is spacing it far enough forward from the crossmember to allow rotation. The end of the AR is square and therefore describes a bigger arc when it rotates.

Let me see if I can dig up a pic to send to you. I aided a buddy by the name of Orbitcat on Por and JU with that style mod.
That would be great.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
This TJ has a Currie High Pinion 3rd member, thus, the stock bar will not fit and has been removed.

I believe the rear anti rock is a bit larger in diameter too. Blaine, should know if that is correct.
Chris, the stock swaybar will work with a Currie HP rear. Just flip it over. Sergey has been running his that way for quite awhile and it does just fine. Of course, if you are looking to make a few bucks on the install of the AR, please disregard.

The longer you make a bar, the larger the diameter has to be to maintain the same effective rate.

As the Currie bar is 44.5 inches long, it is .825 to compensate for the increase in length over the stock bar's 30 some odd inch length and .625 diameter.
Old 06-17-2004, 06:12 PM

Thanks Blaine, your a wealth of knowledge. I did not know that the stock ASB would work flipped over. I will suggest that to my customer before he brings his Jeep here from Denver.

Interesting though. He called Currie and they told him that the stock bar would not work with the CHP 3rd member

I bet he will want the Anti Rock anyway, just cause it's trick

Keep on Jeepin'

Chris O
Old 06-17-2004, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Blaine, your a wealth of knowledge. I did not know that the stock ASB would work flipped over. I will suggest that to my customer before he brings his Jeep here from Denver.

Interesting though. He called Currie and they told him that the stock bar would not work with the CHP 3rd member

I bet he will want the Anti Rock anyway, just cause it's trick

Keep on Jeepin'

Chris O
If you sold aftermarket swaybars, what would you say?

Don't feel bad though, I've seen more than one installer baffled by the stock swaybar and HP rear axles.

I also installed on upside down on a HP 44 in the rear.