Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-19-2001, 04:43 PM

TJ Cage from Tennessee Off-Road ???

Like Scott, Seth's roll-over got me motivated to seriously think about the subject of cages. I previously had one custom fabricated and installed in my '75 Scout II, but I have to admit that I got somewhat complacent with the fact that my '00 TJ came from the factory with "sort of" one.

Now I probably don't wheel as hard as a number of you folks do, but the fact remains that we all potentially get in harm's way at some time or another (whether through relative trail difficulty/conditions, perhaps not taking the proper line to stay out of trouble, or just bad luck). I also take rear seat passengers offroad around the Moab/Western Colorado area when they visit my wife and I, so I also feel I owe them the safety of something more than the ersatz factory version.

At first blush, I liked the idea Scott had in his earlier thread about trying to get something put together through JeepBBS for some type of custom cage. But some of the things that concern me is who would spearhead this effort, where would we go, how long would it take, and would we possibly be reinventing the wheel so to speak (as compared to utilizing vendors and designs that are already out in the aftermarketplace and have some track record for fit and finish considerations)?

Anyway, as some of you may have noticed, shuml (Linyee) has been putting together a group buy on JU for Tennessee Off Road cages for TJ's. Here's the URL ... Group Buy - TN Off Road Cage, ends 8/19
These appear to primarily deal with the front portion of the factory cage, by adding DOM steel tubing front legs, 2 cross bars, and 2 spreaders (along with some optional parts), that are welded-in during the assembly process. The front legs can also be frame-anchored using a MORE kit. One of the other things I like about this set-up, is that the tubular steel legs penetrate the upper surface of the dash, and therefore do not take-up valuable front seat entryway room, or obtrusively set in front of the HVAC vents or front speakers, nor cause any clearance problems when operating the manual window handles. However, even when using the optional rear cross bar (to strengthen the rear portion of the factory cage), this still is not a true, custom-welded, 6-point, frame anchored cage.

I have heard a lot of good things about this cage kit, especially in terms of its beefiness, consistency of fit, and quality ... but what do you folks think? Alternatively, does anyone know of a "shippable", custom 6-point cage that is affordable, allows for use of factory seat belts, and the overhead sound bar? Any thoughts or ideas here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Don
Old 08-19-2001, 07:35 PM
Reggae

I don't know anything about roll cages. But on the Tennessee Off Road web site they never call their cages "roll", just cages. And at $250 it sounds too good. I hope that I am wrong.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-19-2001, 08:34 PM

The basic problem with the thru the dash kits is that they suck.

They cut the vents, take away visibility, are too close to the pedals and don't provide extra clearance at the head. (I know... I was planning an EOR)

I chose to go custom b/c I could. My vents aren't cut... I've got tons of leg room and the upper spreaders are curved for more headroom.

See my site for pics...

http://seth.rockcrawler.com

Tightey Whitey World

[This message was edited by Seth on August 19, 2001 at 10:04 PM.]
Old 08-19-2001, 09:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seth:
The basic problem with the thru the dash kits is that they suck.

They cut the vents, take away visibility, are too close to the pedals and don't provide extra clearance at the head. (I know... I was planning an EOR)

I chose to go custom b/c I could. My vents aren't cut... I've got tons of leg room and the upper spreaders are curved for more headroom.

See my site for pics...
[/quote]

Seth,

OK ... after looking at your pics (especially the interior ones), I see your points. Here's my problem ... I live out beyond the middle of nowhere, and even if I make a 6 hour round trip to the nearest "somewhere", the skill level of custom welding shops (and other such places) is pretty pitiful. Do you have any idea if there is a chance of Roggy Enterprises making the various parts for me (much like a kit) and shipping them to me? Do they have a website or email?

Also, did they keep portions of your stock cage (for purposes of maintaining the stock locations for the factory seatbelt assemblies and overhead sound bar, or did they scrap the factory cage and completely build you a new one? And if you don't mind me asking, how much did it all cost you?

Thanks,
Don
Old 08-19-2001, 09:29 PM

Don,
I understand and appreciate the bind. I'm not being critical cuz I'm a dick... I just have the luxury of 20/20 hindsite.

I've seen and driven rigs with the EOR/TOR cage. Its perfectly fine. I wanted better. If nothing better is available, I'd go with EOR/TOR. Make sure you tie the back part of the cage together.

Yes, I kept the main hoop and the rear elbows.. they were fine except for the 2 bolts in the main hoop. I had them welded.

The total cost for my cage was $800. Much of that cost was the back portion which is really overkill. But... I'm sure happy ot have had it.

Tightey Whitey World
Old 08-19-2001, 10:02 PM

Hey Seth ... no problem at all. I didn't take anything you said as being unreasonable. In fact it's great that you have had the opportunity to see and drive Jeeps with the TOR/EOR type cages. I've never seen either one of them in person (which makes for a big difference). The through-the-dash position of your Roggy set-up is clearly superior to the TOR cage (and from what you indicated, it doesn't mess with your vision or the HVAC ductwork either). Anyway, I copied down the phone number for Roggy Enterprises from their sticker in one of your interior shots (530-626-9451). Do you mind if I call Bob and use your name as a reminder as to what they built you last March? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Don

P.S. Where is Roggy located ... I assume in the San Diego area?°
Old 08-19-2001, 10:07 PM

Roggy is in Camino. He's excellent and I will never stop singing the man's praises. (no ****, huh?)

Camino is <a href='http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&addr=3430+N+Canyon+Road&city=Cami no&state=CA&slt=38.759100&sln=-120.714900&name=&zip=95709-9787&country=us&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&m ag=6&desc=&cs=9&newmag=5&poititle=&poi='>HERE</a>

Tell him I sent you... and tell him how good his work is.

Tightey Whitey World
Old 08-19-2001, 10:33 PM

Thanks again Seth. I'll check him out and hope I can work something out from a distance ... because the Placerville area is a bit of a drive from my location (it wouldn't have been when I lived in the Bay Area ... but it sure is now).

Don