Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 12-30-2004, 09:36 AM
dennisuello

MORE cage

just looking around at all the cage kits available.
I like MORe cage, for the fact that the tubes go to the floor, but is that bend going around the dash safe?

or should i just got with EOR or TOR through-the-dash cage? is it possible to completely remove that type of cage out of the Jeep for welding and painting?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to chef
the problem with removing the cage for welding and painting is how much the tubes move when welding. i thought i had mine tacked together pretty good, and even welded as much as possible while it was bolted into the jeep, but still had fitment issues going back in. most of it came from welding the seat mounts in though. that really pinched the bottom together. i suppose it wasn't all that bad actually, only had to massage a couple holes in the floor. next time i just won't mount the feet until after it's painted. without knowing how you want to setup the cage, i'd say it's possible to pull it, paint it and put it back in through the dash if you weld a majority of it inside the jeep and then do minor finishing outside if you've got a few people to help put it back in. putting mine in was a quick affair, real easy with the yj.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:48 AM
dennisuello

i might just get this kit - http://www.kozoffroad.com/roll%20cag...TJ%20Cages.htm

i don't trust my welding that much, but i can tack the cage together and have someone weld it up for me.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dennisuello
i might just get this kit - http://www.kozoffroad.com/roll%20cag...TJ%20Cages.htm

i don't trust my welding that much, but i can tack the cage together and have someone weld it up for me.
I seriously considered that one briefly until I noticed that there is not one iota of diagonal bracing anywhere.

I won't run or build a cage without that.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:34 PM
dennisuello

i would definately do something to tringulate the B-hoop. but it seems like that and EOR/TOR kits are a good start
Old 12-30-2004, 10:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
If you don't have access to a bender, seems like a good start. I just finally added gussets and the main hoop diagonal last night to mine, feels good to be almost done with it ready to start work on another. Will probably contract out the welding this time though.