Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 06-11-2006, 04:25 PM

power brakes conversion done

Got it done yesterday. What an amazing difference for the better! Ruby had Scout discs on the front and stock drums rear. Never got decent brakes after replacing almost everything there. You could pump them up 3 times and put all available effort into the pedal and it would slow down-somewhat.
Used Vanco's kit for CJ's. Some glitches but was expected. Bolted right up to the firewall. Had to redrill the hole in the pedal rod from 1/2" to 5/8"-to fit the stud on my pedal. Van's kit comes with NO paperwork, no pics, no info, nothing. Had to visit 4 parts houses to find a 9/16" adapter for brake lines, Carquest had it in stock. Was going to replace both brake lines down to the frame block but could not get them loose at the block. Just adapted from the stock 3/16 tube to the master cylinder. One plug in the m/c leaked after filling, teflon taped it and no leaks now. M/C comes with ports on both sides, you choose which ones and plug the other two. Read all the horror stories about how to bench bleed a mc and decided to just fill it, loosen lines and let it drip for a bit. Then bled the old fashioned way, not a problem.
Pedal feel is totally different now. Two toes worth of pressure on the pedal will lock up the 33's on pavement. You do not want to stab the pedal-gonna be unpleasant stop against the steering wheel. I am so impressed with the brakes now. Best damn $ I have spent on Jeep in a long time.
Vanco kit was $390 shipped, got about $20-30 in lines and adapters, and fluid. Van claims a 50% increase in brakes, I say it is more like 75%.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Reggae

Congratulations, I am glad you like it.

Does "increase in brakes" mean decrease of stopping distance?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Don,

Did you call Van and see if they forgot to pack the instructions? The instructions with my kit (for a TJ) must've been about 10 pages.

Glad you're happy with the end result. That thing just plain works!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:39 AM
You can call me Ray

Send a message via ICQ to VancoPBS Send a message via AIM to VancoPBS
I haven't made instructions for my vacuum booster kit. On my to do list, he should have recieved a fitting though. Guess I screwed up there.