Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-20-2006, 07:16 AM

Lap Top Recommendations

I had asked Sue for a combination present for my first Father's Day and my birthday. I said I would like to get a lap top...I was meaning lap top dance but she thought I meant a lap top computer...so I'm keeping quiet and will end up with a computer.

For the most part I am a computer retard. I'd like to get a lap top that I can set up on a hard mount in the ZJ....hook up the GPS (so I can have a large screen for these old eyes)...be able to store waypoints and maps and the such....have it able to play dvd movies for the long drives (for the passengers) and when we are at the cottage or tenting...also be able to download pics from the digital camera for viewing.

What recomendations does anyone have. Remember I am on a Hobo budget and Miss Sue is...well she is a Jewish/Scottish Princess

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 07-20-2006, 08:03 AM

I'd try to nail down some more specifics on what you need/want.

first off, new or used?

Screen size. Bigger is better, well sortof... Bigger is heavier and bulkier and needs more power to run. The three common wide aspect screen sizes are 14.1 15.4 and 17 inch.

Screen aspect ratio... DVDs will look better on a wide aspect ratio screen vs a standard. A wide aspect screen also IMO is less bulky

Screen resoultion: a high resolution (eg 1920x1200) makes the content smaller than a lower resolution (eg 1200x800) for the same screen size. Also higher resolution takes more graphics power to do well, which leads to needing a video card, which burns more power and adds a small amount of weight.

Video card: make sure to watch a DVD on the system. If it has built in graphics, some look crummy/choppy etc.

Ports. Is the GPS USB? if its serial, is there an adapter to USB? some (many?) newer laptops have only USB and don't have a serial port.

Processor's...

I've been really happy with the Pentium M aka a centrino. I had a Dell latitude D800 and my wife has a D505. Both have great battery life and have the Pentium M 1.7Ghz.

The Mobile Pentium 4s I've had/used (both HP/Compaqs) ran hot and had short battery life.

Note, clockrate for the Pentium Ms is slower, but the CPU does more so a 1.7Ghz Pentium M is as fast or faster than a Mobile Pentium 4 running at 2.4 Ghz. I'm not current with the AMD processors but you need to compare benchmarks not just clockspeed

Memory: a Gig is worthwhile.

Wifi: Intel's internal wifi cards have worked much better than broadcomm's (Dell branded wifi)

If you are considering used, a Fast Pentium III (750Mhz to 1Ghz) with 512M of memory will work. I have a compaq PIII 700Mhz that Is my travel laptop. Very thin, light, 14 inch screen. I've been thinking about making a mount for the TJ. The advantage of used is you can get them cheap. I'd guess around 3-400 on eBay.

Brands is alot of personal preference. I've been happy with Dells, but HP/compaqs are good also and I have friends happy with their toshiba's.

If I were to buy another laptop today it would be a Dell Latitude D620 with the best video card I could get in it, the second from the fastest CPU, 1 or 2 Gigs of memory and a 3 or 4 year warranty. It only has a 14.1 inch screen but its small and light.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to chef
I think it was Stu who did a writeup on Tough Books. THey're pretty tough...
Old 07-20-2006, 08:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to mudpup Send a message via Yahoo to mudpup
I bought a dell 710m or m710, can't remember. It is the 12" 2.0 ghz, gig of ram and has done everything I need it to do. However if I was buying one today I would get the new macbook, it can do everything I would want it to do (multi-platform). Plus the macbook runs windows quite well from the benchmarks I've seen. Ofcourse the main thing I based my decision on was size and weight, I wanted something that wasn't going to become a pain to carry around with me.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:18 AM

Get a Dell or a refurbed Dell. They have good machines and good service/warranty. I work in IT and have used a number of different types of notebooks. I like Dell not because it's the best machine around (although they have some really nice models), but because I've never had to complain about any Dell I've had. And yes I've had problems, but they seem to be able to fix anything quickly and without you having to fight tooth-and-nail with customer service.

If you want a MAC (I HURL) be prepared to spend some money on the notebook any software/accessories (if they make it). They are highly proprietary and you end up paying for it while a PC running Windows has a billion 3rd party guys out there competing for your dollar.

You can probably find an entry level Dell notebook for $300-400 and a nicer one that will probably last you a while for around $600 based on the needs you've expressed.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 AM

I also would recommend Dell laptops. They just work. And Dell has great customer support if something goes wrong.

(Laptops seem to me to have more problems than desktops, as they run hotter, have more stuff crammed into a little space and are moved around more, so customer support should be a consideration).
Old 07-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Reggae

If you want the laptop for vehicle use, get one with touch screen.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I use a Dell I9300 with a 17" UXGA "True Life" 19??x12?? display with a Centrino and all the bells and whistles.

My wife had a Gateway M505 with a 15.4" display, Centrino and all the bells and whistles.

I recently replaced my wife's laptop with another Gateway that I picked up from Best Buy for $500. It has a 14" screen, a Celeron processer and all the bells and whistles.

Which one do I like the best ... the cheapie Gateway with the smaller screen. It is light, fast enough and does everything I use the other notebooks to do at less than half the cost.

The 17" looks beautiful, works great but is heavy. I've decided that the whole point of having a notebook (for me anyway) is so I can put it on my lap and sit on the couch or on a plane. If I wanted the performance of a desktop, I'd get one.

FWIW, I prefer the ergonomics and layout of the new Gateways over the Dells, though I think the Dells are great.

Visit www.notebookforums.com for a wealth of information.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:17 AM

I bought Dell for everyone when I had my company. Service was a large part, but the total package was always good. For myself, I've always been a Toshiba fan and still use them now. I use a tablet, just because I like to tinker, and I like the form factor when in tablet mode. I always thought that would work well with GPS and an app that worked with ink. Takes up a lot less space but you have to buy used to keep the investment down.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Do all of these various laptops that are being recommended survive well in a Jeep type environment....bouncing down the trail, etc. ? What kind of G force rating are the hard drives designed for?

I ask only because Cutch wants this hard mounted in his ZJ.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
Do all of these various laptops that are being recommended survive well in a Jeep type environment....bouncing down the trail, etc. ? What kind of G force rating are the hard drives designed for?

I ask only because Cutch wants this hard mounted in his ZJ.
Darn Stu, if you was a defense attorney, the judge would run you right out of the courtroom for asking leading questions.

You oughta just tell him to get a Toughbook and get it over with.
Old 07-23-2006, 02:04 PM

I second the Panasonic Toughbook..

if you want a laptop that is going to be transported outdoors alot and needs to be subjected to alot of abuse..

Toughbooks are the way to ... Magnesium alloy cases, the harddrives will withstand 30gs or something like that

great "all weather" laptop
Old 07-23-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine

Some may say that I drive with such finesse that a toughbook wouldn't be required and then some say ....well...who cares what they say

08 JKU Rubicon
98 TJ

Old 07-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Darn Stu, if you was a defense attorney, the judge would run you right out of the courtroom for asking leading questions.

I think I've seen you ask this type of question on various topics.

I have no idea if there are other notebooks available that will handle the abuse.....I don't have time to keep up on all that "stuff". I just don't want my kid to wind up with a laptop eating hard drive.

Edit: From the lack of confirmations stating previously recommended notebooks will withstand the environment, I'm assuming the answer to my question is no. If so........

Your honor, the defense rests.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:

I have no idea if there are other notebooks available that will handle the abuse.....I don't have time to keep up on all that "stuff". I just don't want my kid to wind up with a laptop eating hard drive.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson

And what's wrong with pointing out a few well placed stones on the garden path?
Old 07-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Exactly!